Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [31.25]Inkyramparts: this time we won't die!  (Read 3046 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25]Inkyramparts: this time we won't die!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 04:13:14 pm »

Oh you.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 10:55:38 am »

So microcline, how's it going?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »

So microcline, how's it going?

Sorry about that.  I was expecting to have internet yesterday, but I wasn't able to get it until today.

1 Slate 5

My first month at Inkyrampart has taught me many things.  I spent almost an hour trying to find out why my fellow miners and I were unable to dig.  I had never been forced to use burrows when constructing a fortress.  Here, their reason is readily apparent.  Fourteen dark stranglers stare at us from across our bridge and a squad of nightwing crossbowmen sit on the edge of our territory, waiting for one of us to step over the line.

Our bookkeeper, Ushat Alathzephon, crafted an artifact, a cheap useless thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regardless, I have undertaken a project that will be neither cheap or useless.  I began by mining quartzite for components.

Also, the old depot was vulnerable to aerial threats, so I moved it to a safer, more airtight location.

1 Felsite 5

There was a minor accident with the magma reservoir for the new entrance hall.  Fortunately, there was only one minor injury, and we were able to replace the flooded tunnel.

We hit the first cavern layer.  We'll have some temporary defenses up soon and send out our woodcutters to gather.

1 Hematite 5

We just received a huge invasion force of furies, harpies, dark stranglers, and naga.  This is convenient, as I just completed the new entrance.

6 Galena 5

We wiped out a squad of stranglers and a squad of frogmen with the new entrance.  While we waited for the magma to drain, we expanded down to the second cavern layer, exposing the underground sea.

We were also attacked by a forgotten beast.  He was promptly clubbed to death with wooden crossbows by two marksdwarves.

1 Limestone 5

Fighting the frogmen and stranglers seems to have scared off the others.  New besiegers have arrived, though: raptor men and war elephants.  They don't seem to be ready to attack yet, so I've been using the opportunity to improve our magma defenses.

I'm going to call it a night.  I'll post more tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:55:44 am by Microcline »

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 09:29:03 am »

Remember to use my bridge-apults :3

Or did you remove that entrance D:

How's the military coming along?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »

Remember to use my bridge-apults :3

Or did you remove that entrance D:

How's the military coming along?

I walled off the old entrance after completing the new one.  I'm no expert with the new military system, so I've mainly been using them as security.  They're pretty good, as they managed to massacre the squad of frogment that got through the defenses with no casualties.

1 Timber 5

When I ordered the dwarves out to perform maintenance on the entrance hall, the elephants and raptors saw their chance and charged.  The magma defenses worked much better this time, but one elephant managed to charge in before they took effect.  Standing 100 times the size of a dwarf, Therlethnoram fought his way down the pump stack construction.  The military stopped him at the first cavern layer.  While the military was able to kill him, he managed to kill a marksdwarf and break katana's sword hand.

Winter

The raptors departed, allowing us to go outside for the first time this year.  A forgotten beast attacked the caverns again.

Just when I was wrapping up my year, a massive host besieged the fortress.  Three squads of tigermen, two squads of stranglers, and a squad of giants crossed the map borders.  We used the magma trap to dispatch a squad of tigermen and a squad of stranglers.

While we have survived numerous sieges and set up rudimentary magma defenses, it is clear that the increasing ferocity of the attacks is taking its toll on the fortress.  We lost several dwarves this year, and received no migrants.  We lack bedrooms, wells, and hospital facilities, and the fortress is littered with incomplete projects.  Our enemies sit outside our tunnel and wait for the magma to recede.

Save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4483

Map:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10488-inkyrampart
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:53:19 am by Microcline »

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 09:23:28 am »

Whoever's next (kona?), you're up.

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 02:42:19 pm »

is it my turn?

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 03:22:22 pm »

Yeah.

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 06:28:07 pm »

K the party shall begin, should have some of it up later today

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »

(OOC)
(the download isn't working for me all i'm getting is the world map not the actual save itself
yeahhhhh..... never mind i just had a *cough* slow *cough* moment there, all is good)
(first thing is first need to dwarf myself - found some random bone carver who's name i rather liked and is now known as Kona Kodkulet, Bone Horder)

And i start my "mayorship" or whatever it is, honestly i was just walking down hauling bones from our dead foes outside, when micro showed up shoved this paper in my face and said i had to Sign it, and ran off saying "deal with it", all i could guess being the magma fanatic he is, the calling to dig into a vast ocean of potential doom is too great to be dealing with managing this godforsaken place paradise, but i can't say anything cause its the magma that has been keeping all of those god damn things from getting inside and massacre the lot of us. And so with paper still glued to my face i see now i'm the appointed "mayor" with the previous one running off faster than an elephant on fire, i fear i have a lot of work ahead of me

and as i begin this is my first scene i come across, death of a tigermen and women, along with a siege that is taking place

{  =( i wanna cry god doesn't want me to show my handy work, it's just a screen capture whats so wrong with it that i'm not aloud to use it? well F*** you god i'll do it anyway just to show you up @$$ hole}

and as i scan our fort for any more intruders i found them all gathered in some sort of giant and Dark strangler meeting plotting for our demise, as i can see it they don't like us very much but the feeling is mutual

And upon being the new and appointed leader, i decided to throw a party, our glass maker is throwing a tantrum, albeit not as cool or fun or drunk as parties he shall not be invited, but should anyone join him i'll have to send security.
I guess his party senses were tingling and abruptly stopped his tantrum and i decided he could join our party

And as it seems our other bone carver had to show me up and have a kid, i know she's just jealous that she can't be the leader, note to self when time arises get rid of the bone carver and her offspring. maybe the power is going to my head but we shall see if my master plan will bring us happiness or lead us into a horrible death

and from the depths come another forgotten beast, looks like i'll have to wait a little long for my plan to unfold

(it says: The forgotten beast smespu has come! a towering eyeless serpent. it has thin wings of stretched skin and it has a bloated body. its pale scales are round and close-set. beware its poisonous sting!)

Scratch that, seems our fool hearty ex-leader decided upon himself to single handedly dispatch the intruder, he did so without a scratch, though he did fall one z level while fighting, no injuries where reported other than his already injured hand and arm, i think congrats where in order but when i went to congratulate him i found him asleep and drunk. well he deserves it i guess but back to work i go

(ALSO my screen capture doesn't seem to think df is a proper window and won't take a picture of it, does someone have the name of one that does work, deleted my last one cause this one was supposed to be better, guess not       DAMN YOU WINSNAP YOU LIED TO ME!!!!!!!!!)

(and thats all i can do for today =( sorry, i will have more up by tomorrow sorry)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:44:01 am by Kona »

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 03:48:06 am »

I use snapz pro X but it costs money :(

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 09:34:56 am »

Isn't dodok katana's wife?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:58 pm »

I just use the Print Screen button and Paint. That let's me grab the image and crop it to show what I want, and that's really all that needs to be done with screenshots.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »

(ok i think we have a problem, the magma that has been protecting our fortress has gone dry, and i can't get it working, lever's do nothing, the mechanisms that where attached to it are gone, but in the mean time i've built an emergency ditch to keep them out but i can only guess how long that will be also been only able to get an hour or two in but they seam to be just sitting out waiting for our doom but i sent an archer and he seems to be just picking at them and slowly, sorry that i've been busy >.< should i just download what i have now?)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:50:35 pm by Kona »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10:05 am »

Did you remember to send dwarves to operate the screw pumps?

Also, have you tried using GIMP for screenshots?  (Create > Screen Shot, crop out whatever you don't need)
Pages: 1 [2] 3