Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [31.25]Inkyramparts: this time we won't die!  (Read 3045 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
[31.25]Inkyramparts: this time we won't die!
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:25:01 am »

Okay, pagesparks just died so easily by ogres. So let's try this.
New fortress. Scarcer minerals (4200). Some mods, and a little easter egg, plus fortress defense challenge + extra civs.

1. No sealing off the fortress to anything that you breach. (does not count if you're making another entrance, eg. if you breach here, you can seal it off but must make an entrance there)
2. No danger rooms.
3. You are at war with everybody, kill them all (not including dwarves). Diplomats, merchants, soldiers, all must die.

So you may have a problem surviving. Guess what? We're also going to have a little competition between the players. At the end of every turn, the one who just played must post their most over-decorated, super-valued piece of weaponry/armor (trap components count). These special items may not be traded away, and we'll just compare them at the end (shows how successful your fortress was).
Post what happened on your turn in any form you want, from story to just plain telling. You have 24 hours to confirm your turn, and from when you post, at most 48 hours to play up to a year. Don't mess with what other people did unless you asked them first.

Say if you want to be dwarfed, or want a turn.

Turns:
katana ☼done☼
trigg <-- current
microcline

To make sure you read the entire first post, type "&&&" at the end of your thread.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:13:29 am by katana »
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

trigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25]Inkyramparts: this time we won't die!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:09:58 am »

I think some projects will need to be universally editable without asking permission, basic walls/trap systems etc.

Obviously if we were to start a dorf CPU in here, thats another matter!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:41 am »

Sign me up for a turn

trigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:28:24 am »

We're (with katana!) setting up an IRC room

server : irc.swiftirc.net 
channel : #inky

This room can be used to get/give blow-for-blow commentary, or just to poke people to see how a turns going.

Could be fun.

Posting here with reviews on your turn is still essential.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:30:05 am »

What I meant by that rule was, if somebody worked on a huge magmafall-tomb and stuff for their dwarf, don't reassign it to some other guy etc.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:57:47 pm »

(katana)

I apologize for not fully recording all history of the year, as I only migrated here halfway through.

___

What I found was a nice, quiet fortress with minor defenses of wooden traps, and a great marksman. Although apparently it was not always this good, according to the 7 dwarves I found, there was a lot of struggle to set up the original food supply. That's behind us now though.

___

So I came as an accomplished gem setter, but was quickly given position of militia commander, and leadership of the fortress. All the basics were there, right next to this volcano. Looking at our supplies, we have quite a few bars of bronze, yet no weaponry apart from the cerol's hunting crossbow. So, I order a large magma-workshop area to be made by smoothing a fortification through the side of the volcano.

___

While waiting for the smoothing, I order another line of weapon traps of 5 spiked wooden balls each at our entrance. It's only wood, but that's all we need, after all the military need to do some work! I have no furniture or goods to encrust, and I am not wasting gems on something cerol will break while working. Markkk, our "sacrificial" engraver luckily escapes the flowing magma. Now to build some forges!

___

The far left furnace is the item-melting one, so future leaders, please use only that one for melting to maximize profits.

___

... Apparently some idiot forgot to bring an anvil. We'll have to wait for the caravan.

___

I am also working on a nicely decorated graveyard, after all in this kind of world dwarves will die, no matter how hard you try to keep them safe. While building statues, I notice that Olon (mason/miner) knows some history involving an ettin settling in the area, only 2 years ago. We must be cautious.

___

There have been some animal births lately. Slaughter them for Dodók to practice bone carving!

___

Migrants!
A tanner who's good at fighting with a mace
A potter who's good with spears, hammers... and biting?
An accomplished clothier who's a nice at axe use, and good at dressing wounds
And a weak peasant who's good at teaching. Teaching what, I do not know.

___

The merchants came, finally. However, trigg refuses to stop planting, and he's our best negotiator. There was also a thief, quickly dealt with by the caravan guards. In the end, I just let anyone trade. We buy all the gems, metal, and cloth we can afford. Also some sand, for glass making, and thread/splints/crutches for healthcare. They happily accept trigg's incredibly valuable meals.

___

I've ordered metals of every kind. Please be sure to buy all, we need as much metal as possible. Trigg's amazing cooking should give us enough money to buy all we need. Multiple gems, ores, weapons, crafts, and armor also ordered, please melt them down for our own metalsmiths to use. Bone bolts are good enough for hunters. Some animals ordered as well, butcher them and melt the cages. We've also ordered:
-lye
-sand
-charcoal
-coke
-pearlash
-potash
-pig tail seeds
-nest boxes, jugs, hives
-trap components
and various other objects.

It's strange how all of my equipment is superior quality apart from my boots.

___

The year ends with a siege. Dark stranglers. Too easy... 3 were caught in cages, the rest slaughtered by the traps. I killed 4 of them as well, and cerol the hunter killed one.

___

With this I hand over my leadership responsibilities to trigg: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4458
(note: ask questions on #inky)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:56:44 am by katana »

trigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:07:16 am »

No matter how I play it, I get sieged by 4-5 teams and taken out, and am not allowed to just hole up and hide until we have real weapons. I'll skip my turn
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:06:11 am by trigg »

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:20:12 am »

Quick, make a hospital! Loads of tallow, splints and crutches lying around.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 10:12:11 am »

Okay I'll do it :P

(katana)

After some discussion with trigg, he feels like he is not up to ruling our fort, mostly due to military concerns. I will be focusing almost entirely on the military side, working on defenses, and importantly, a water supply.

___

Water will always freeze to a full unit, no matter how much it was before for some reason, so I will dig out some of our murky pools and expand them. I also worry about enemies I've heard are able to avoid conventional traps, and so I am making upright spears and spikes, and building a long bridge before the actual fortress. Everyone is now a mason.

___

There were some thieves, I killed one. I now feel somewhat better at being a swordsman.

__

Cerol has been told to stop hunting and help out with the building. We're making a huge bridge that starts from the old entrance, and goes all the way south to the other mountain area, over a large drop.

___

Migrants! More people to build my project, and some highly skilled metalsmiths. All the useless go in one of my new military squads that I am equipping with obsidian swords, I'm sure there is obsidian somewhere in this mountain. It is mid-spring now, I will stop temporarily for late spring, as the late part of any season almost always comes with a siege.

__

As expected, the late spring siege. Frogmen try to get through our defenses but are torn to pieces by simple wooden traps.

... Sieges? Tigers and stranglers too. Looks like we have some work to do. Our sheep are quickly slaughtered, but we don't care about them anyway. Our hunter's poor dog runs outside our trap field...

___
"Ownerconfine the Abated Scandle" a wolf bone short sword, made by Dodok. Yay!
Meanwhile, our wood weapon traps demolish the enemies before they can get to us. Helmets and shields will be melted, while weapons will make more traps.

___
4th hematite
Dodok has given birth to a boy :D

___
This is awkward. We've been out of booze for a few days, I'm trying to get it sorted.

___

I think our booze problems are finally over, and a human caravan has arrived. I hope they like our corpse bridge. They'll be part of it soon. It's fun beating harmless merchants to death with a bone sword.

___

An ambush was spotted by a pet baby alpaca. The owner was safe inside though, I hope... At least the goblins are here, I hear there's money to be made with goblin clothes. READY THE BALLISTA.

FIRE!!!

They're escaping!

But one didn't ;)

___

Our new "Mayor" has mandated production of bins. Luckily,we would've anyway.

Anyway, construction is going well, with an archery range built, and 8 marksmen drafted under Cerol. I don't trust hunting these days, there are ambushes and sieges everywhere.

___

So I'm practicing on the prisoners of war with a wooden sword, and the mayor says we cannot export bins. No problem, who do we trade to anyway? Then suddenly a farmer, apparently one of the founders, withdraws from society and claims a leather works. That (somehow) reminds me, we need to make some soap for wound cleaning. While forcing him to find more materials (planepacking), an ambush is spotted by a sheep. Again.

__

More ambushes spotted by sheep, and the marksman caravan guard is killed. He will be buried properly. Later after we deal with the ambushes. He dropped a nice steel crossbow :)
A DARK STRANGLER LEATHER BACKPACK! Well, it could be worse.
"Hauntrisks the Strifeful Dragon", a dark strangler leather backpack.
This is a dark strangler leather backpack. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with turkey leather and capybara leather and encircled with bands of capybara leather. This object menaces with spikes of clear zircon and capybara leather. On the item is an image of Koro the Breach of Saturninity the ettin in dark strangler leather. Koro the Breach of Saturninity is laboring. This artwork relates to the settling of the ettin Koro the Breach of Saturninity in the Vigorous Murk in 1.
On the item is an image of Obol the minotaur in fox leather. Obol is labouring. The artwork relates to the settling of the minotaur Obol in the Vigorous Murk in 1.
On the item is an image of a backpack in turkey leather.
On the item is an image of Hauntrisks the Strifeful Dragon the dark strangler leather backpack in capybara leather.

___

Well it's almost over. During our sieges, which I will show in more detail later, one marksman ran out into the repeating traps and was skewered. That idiot...

Meanwhile, I've made tombs for:
trigg- legendary cook, responsible for the happiness and income of the fortress, broker
cerol- legendary marksdwarf, former hunter
dodok- legendary bone carver, bolt maker, maker of the wolf bone sword
me (katana)- legendary swordsdwarf, 2-year leader, military commander, trap designer

This place has grown so much since I first got here...
The left lever activates the bridge, the right one the repeating spike traps.

Finally, I'm afraid to say I could not stop all of the sieges. The nightwings are still out there, and that's your problem now :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:42:53 am by katana »

Kona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:50:50 pm »

I'm game

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:55 am »

Microcline, you're up. I suggest you do the following things:
-After dealing with the nightwings, melt down all the random stuff below the retracting bridges from when the invaders went flying.
-Equip squads B and C with some armor.
-Find a way to flood the world with magma, possibly as the way to deal with nightwings.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4465

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 03:13:17 pm »

After some suicide runs, this is my advice:
-You need armor, otherwise you just die
-Katana will probably manage to kill at least half of them, but then get killed/injured by a lucky shot

And in general military:
-Try to set up a tank unit with insane amounts of armor, and shield, and high skill in it.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »

Downloading now.

I'll see what I can do about the nightwings.  Expect my first post sometime tomorrow.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:25 am »

I find your name funny for a seecret little reason :3

trigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:11:11 pm »

I find your name funny for a seecret little reason :3

pervert.
Pages: [1] 2 3