Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graduation Present.  (Read 844 times)

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graduation Present.
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:11:35 pm »

People have been asking me what I want for the title, and honestly, I can't think of anything besides a car (which I don't need until I actually have a license) that would be non-trivial.
There is plenty of things I want, but Graduation just doesn't seem like the time to be asking for stuff like games and assorted books. I've already got a decent laptop, so Computer or Computer parts just seems like a silly thing to ask for right now.
Theres also this that I'm interested in learning from, but I'm not really sure it would be worth it since I'm not usually that focused on learning except at school.

Any suggestions or help from you people of the twelfth bay?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Graduation Present.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »

Of all the coincidences...good lord. I was about to post about the same topic, and pretty much the exact same thing except for the link, which looks interesting but I don't really have time to poke around in it right now.
I should look in here more often.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:33:59 pm »

Figure out what you're going to be doing in college/career and get some good things to go along with it. A nice camera/camcorder? Expensive software suite? A very nice suit? If you want a present that doesn't seem selfish and is forward looking, tie it to the next phase of your education or life.

Or do something completely not related to school. Lessons for something you've really wanted to learn? A trip somewhere?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:59:19 pm »

Something that will 'enrich you as a person.'

Whatever the hell that means.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:06:35 pm »

Ask for cash, go to collage, save the said cash. When your in collage, blow it all on Refer. It will enrich your body, mind. and teach you more about the world then "Textfaggot".
Just kidding, but  mini-fridge is always pretty cool.
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:02:36 am »

If you don't want anything, then don't ask for anything. Make it clear that there is nothing you want. Either ask for something minor, or ask for nothing at all. There's nothing wrong with doing that - far from it, people will appreciate not being under any pressure to buy you something big.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:44 am »

I'm in a simmilar situation and was considering a tablet PC. I was looking at the archos tablets, which are of a reasonable price yet decent (in particular, I'm interested in the internet series). But it's a very personal thing. TBH, I agree with the sentiment here that it doesn't necessarily have to be something extra-expensive, or even something that you have to choose right away. I want a tablet because I want to see if I can get a decent use out of it (this is on my line of past experiments, which included a netbook -very, very useful- and an ebook reader -somewhat useful).
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

I asked for (and received) a Grand Larousse dictionary.

Pretty good use of 100 dollars.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 04:08:20 pm »

What graduation are we talking about?  Graduating from highschool or graduating from college?

Graduating from highschool, I got a car.  Mind you, it was not a good car, but there you go.

My "graduation" present from college was getting enough money to finish going to college.  Yeah.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:05:05 pm »

My junior high graduation was a week ago, and my dad told me he was gonna buy me a motorcycle Harley. I told him not to.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »

If you are graduating from high school and going into college, go for career-related stuff. My brother in accounting asked for math-y stuff and a reference book on tax-y stuff.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:18:55 am »

Yeah, all I can think of is a computer, since it'll help you with work and stuff. And it's far more flexible than a book of any kind. Well, I've never had a graduation present, it seems kinda pointless. It is its own reward. My graduation present, if any, was that I could spend the next few weeks sleeping and walking around outside the house.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »

My junior high graduation was a week ago, and my dad told me he was gonna buy me a motorcycle Harley. I told him not to.
What? All i got was a pat on the back and an horrible welcome to highschool
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket