Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A Savage World community game  (Read 4796 times)

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Savage World community game
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

So, it's my turn. Downloading the save right now. This is gonna be epic  :P

Edit: HOLY SHIT. This is ALL you've managed to do in TWO YEARS?! The fort is barely started!

Edit2: On second thought... This fort has about the worst design I've ever seen. Insanely huge farms, badly designed entrance, several ballistas just sitting there, no beds, no bins, a giant space enclosed without any reason... The only thing that can be done here is tearing everything down and starting anew. It looks like you guys spent several minutes creating basic necessities and defence for dwarves and then just said 'fuck it' and left it on idle for two years. Skip me.

That the point, we're in character. What is the fun in building a fort that can't be destroyed. The story would be dull as hell. Besides, we in character. Do you really expect the dwarves, especially since my character doing something different than par, to build a great fort?
Join Operation Hellstorm. Help the worms escape oppression.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95404.0

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »

So, it's my turn. Downloading the save right now. This is gonna be epic  :P

Edit: HOLY SHIT. This is ALL you've managed to do in TWO YEARS?! The fort is barely started!

Edit2: On second thought... This fort has about the worst design I've ever seen. Insanely huge farms, badly designed entrance, several ballistas just sitting there, no beds, no bins, a giant space enclosed without any reason... The only thing that can be done here is tearing everything down and starting anew. It looks like you guys spent several minutes creating basic necessities and defence for dwarves and then just said 'fuck it' and left it on idle for two years. Skip me.

What?
Why the hell would we make it defensive? I made the ballistas so we don't immediately get slaughtered when enemies come around. If you can't fire them correctly then calm down.
The bridges were going to be hooked up to two pressure plates but I ran out of time. The giant space was enclosed at the start for a defense before we finished the main wall, why the hell WOULDN'T we have huge farms? Food is needed.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

Inefficient, confusing, nasty.
All non-dwarven. More like a kobold camp.
:3

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 04:20:35 am »

What?
Why the hell would we make it defensive? I made the ballistas so we don't immediately get slaughtered when enemies come around. If you can't fire them correctly then calm down.
The bridges were going to be hooked up to two pressure plates but I ran out of time. The giant space was enclosed at the start for a defense before we finished the main wall, why the hell WOULDN'T we have huge farms? Food is needed.
Ballistas in a tight battery on about tenth year of the fort is an efficient perk to defence. Three ballistas on sides of the fort, one of them not twenty tiles away from an edge, all three without any supporting infrastructure (such as AMMO STOCKPILES) on second year is madness. In a negative sense.
If you wanted to make bridges simply disappear, you could have done it with one single big one instead of TWELVE small ones. Or go with traps. As is, it is a waste of mechanisms and (IIRC) FPS.
Enclosing such a giant space at the start which you weren't going to use (and there was no way you could have used that much by second year) is simply a waste of resources and time (especially considering a half of it is WOODEN).
The farms are good. However, the larger the farms, the more time dwarves spend planting... plants, the less time they have to gather the planted ones. In other words, a waste of space and time.
And finally, in two years you have done less than many people do in their first month. Just for future reference, take a look at The New Eternal Halls on DFMA. Yes, that fort is only two years old. Yes, there is a legendary dining room, every kind of workshop, personal bedrooms for every dwarf, every surface smoothed and most of them engraved, caverns breached and a nice economy established. Now compare it with this fort.
Sorry if that came out harsh. Still, it's the truth.

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 08:59:24 am »

What?
Ballistas in a tight battery on about tenth year of the fort is an efficient perk to defence. Three ballistas on sides of the fort, one of them not twenty tiles away from an edge, all three without any supporting infrastructure (such as AMMO STOCKPILES) on second year is madness. In a negative sense.
If you wanted to make bridges simply disappear, you could have done it with one single big one instead of TWELVE small ones. Or go with traps. As is, it is a waste of mechanisms and (IIRC) FPS.
Enclosing such a giant space at the start which you weren't going to use (and there was no way you could have used that much by second year) is simply a waste of resources and time (especially considering a half of it is WOODEN).
The farms are good. However, the larger the farms, the more time dwarves spend planting... plants, the less time they have to gather the planted ones. In other words, a waste of space and time.
And finally, in two years you have done less than many people do in their first month. Just for future reference, take a look at The New Eternal Halls on DFMA. Yes, that fort is only two years old. Yes, there is a legendary dining room, every kind of workshop, personal bedrooms for every dwarf, every surface smoothed and most of them engraved, caverns breached and a nice economy established. Now compare it with this fort.
Sorry if that came out harsh. Still, it's the truth.

I am ready to bet that the eternal fort you linked to was modded. I modded our fort so we didn't have things like this in the beginning because that makes for a boring story in our community game. In addition, most people do not build an aboveground fort , and digging underground takes much less time. Also, having bigger farms is better, since you can use the excess food as trade items, and it is a good idea to have your dwarves be busy. And having the huge walled off area gives our mason and mechanics a safe area to work in without being under constant attack by giant badgers or my mod creatures. It is just a matter of fact that me and Sir Leonard 3rd have different priorities. If you can't play with a less-than-prefect fort, you need to be mature, and leave the community game without criticizing us.

In fact, it sounds like that you're playing the wrong game, if you can't handle 'fun'.
May I suggest Minecraft?

In any case, I am now banning Dariush from this community game. I request that the other players of this game ignore future comments of Dariush so as to prevent a flame war. The next overseer is Katsuun. Please respond in 24 hours on this tread, so you can begin your one dwarf year, and get 72 hours in real life to do so.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51:31 am »

I'll be able to take the turn later today.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 07:42:56 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I have to say that something's come up and you'll have to skip me. Sorry!
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 07:49:52 am »

Yes indeed, it's just, not very... sorta maybe kinda giving me a rather uncertain feeling perhaps because of the possibility where I have a not so completely and perfectly good vibe about the dwarfnomical indicators from Armok and Alldwarvenly toady that lead this one of a kind uniquely modded and created fort in the seemingly near yet still potentially distant future run for proper design and said predicted epicness...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:08:50 am by noodle0117 »

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2011, 11:19:59 am »

In any case, I am not going to continue if there is going to be no-one else after me, so if anyone wants to play, sign up on this thread. If no one  volunteer in the next 48 hours, then we just say that the fort ended prematurely, and I try to establish another community game later.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2011, 07:52:50 pm »

Yeaaaaaah, about the bridge... I'm new-ish to the game and I forgot I could make one big bridge. Guess that's my bad, guys.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »

Yeaaaaaah, about the bridge... I'm new-ish to the game and I forgot I could make one big bridge. Guess that's my bad, guys.

On the other hand, 12 smaller bridges are harder to destroy than one big bridge, and they have improved atom-smashing abilities.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:51 am »

I think we ought to re-make. I'll gladly be an overseer somewhere in the list.

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »

I do a bit more modding and maybe set up another game in the next month. I need some time to think about how to make a community game that won't fall apart.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 06:59:07 am »

Eh, just do something weird and psychotic but also really really dwarfy or have that as the main project goal of the fort and you should be grabbing plenty of attention.

Also, giant overground farms are for humie scrubs. Real dwarves maintain their fort on minimal food (although drinks can be an exception) because endlessly large and safe stockpiles of food capable of lasting an isolated fort for over a century doesn't make for that great of a story... and also because less food helps with the fps.

The only exception here is if you were using the Corruption mod.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:00:41 am by noodle0117 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]