Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General Tips, Walkthroughs and Help Thread!  (Read 1368 times)

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
General Tips, Walkthroughs and Help Thread!
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »

I think there was a need for something like this. Though it's sort of just a thread for me to give some probably obvious tips.

Post your tips, walkthroughs, and questions on the Dwarf Fortress Adventurer Mode.

Something to always keep in mind: Villagers can have weapons other than knives. Woodcutters have axes, hunters have bows/crossbows. If you are raiding a village, you should always be wary of any axe-wielding pedestrian running at you and chopping you down like a piece of lumber.

Never attack a villager in the middle of a building. They will swarm you and stab you to death. Always attack the farthest one and run out, forcing the townspeople to form a semi-straight line at the door way.

Question: How do you cross seas? Are there sea creatures in the game? I try to traverse the vast waters but it's always so tedious and I never encounter anything.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: General Tips, Walkthroughs and Help Thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:56 pm »

crossing seas is use of the swimming and to do that you need to alt move into water.
there where sea creatures up until the sea freezes and kill them all.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

crossing seas is use of the swimming and to do that you need to alt move into water.
there where sea creatures up until the sea freezes and kill them all.

No as in, what's your advice to crossing seas quickly? I have no idea where I'm going half of the time.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »

use Dfusion flip on ghost and hold the left button until traveled over.
other than that we haven't found a way to fast travel through water.
go ask the DFhack guys to seeing it they can find the flag that turns off access to travel.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:01 am »

i'm always scared of water in adv mode because unless it's a shallow river i will drown without proficient swimmer
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:46:55 am »

The trick to killing creatures faster and stronger than you is to take out the legs or feet, then disable their attacks and then go for the kill.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 08:49:07 am »

Love, scriver~

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:50:54 am »

NEVER travel alone at night.  If you know that a trip will last long enough for night to fall, bring a companion, which you can get at a nearby fortress.  If you don't want to do this, best not to travel far away at all, unless you know you can take on the bogeymen. 

If you don't know what a bogeyman is, that's good.  You'll sleep better at night. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:15:10 am »

Abandoned castles are very useful for hunting as the walls prevent the escape of your prey.
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:08 am »

Captain (maybe not so) Obvious incoming!
Throwing is overpowered! Just use macros to train throwing and you will be invincible!
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »

When moving out of an area, buy light weight, expensive items with your gold, to lower encumbrance. Am hoping wearing jewelry will also provide some protection
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:32 pm »

Abandoned castles are very useful for hunting as the walls prevent the escape of your prey.

Be careful when you exit the castle though. Many times when I open the front door to a castle, I get jumped by 4 to 5 things that were waiting for me on the outside. When you open a door and get charged by 3 Rhinoceroses, it becomes questionable who those abandoned castles really serve as traps for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 05:02:16 am »

The trick to killing creatures faster and stronger than you is to take out the legs or feet, then disable their attacks and then go for the kill.

This is a great tip, so I'll explain further. As you might see happening to yourself, your speed drops drastically when you're prone. Hence, it's generally a great idea to prone-ify your opponents because the same applies to them. To do that, all you need to do is to either remove the limb your target uses for walking or hack at the limb until you get the message that a motor nerve has been severed or that many nerves have been severed. Either way, they will no longer be able to stand and you will have yourself an easy kill.

Also, protip: four-legged creatures like hydras and wolves need at least two of their legs to be disabled (by motor nerve severance or dismemberment) before they lose their ability to stand.

Also^2, in my experience, Bronze Colossi, who have no nerves to sever, can still lose their ability to stand when they take a good enough hit to their feet. By that, I mean that even a fracture can send them falling to the ground. That's generally how I take care of them when the local bigwig tells me about one.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!