Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Roll to Inception (Dead game turned into an interest check)  (Read 4168 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

It's a brisk autumn day in New Hampshire. The trees are filtering sunlight, causing it do dance on the clouds. You are all waiting for a train. The train that holds the object of the mission at hand.

Noland Cabybara. The executive to TruFire inc, a weapons contracting company. the agency has hired you all to go inside his head and find the blueprints for a new weapon; the atomic destabalizer. noone should be able to use this kind of power, and you are going to take the idea out of his head.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

APPLICATION:

Name: Who you would like to be referred to as.
Totem: A special object that you know inside out. Used to determine where you are in the dream-scape.
Role: Does not affect your skills, but something that reflects your bio, i.e. The pointman, The Glacier, etc.
Bio: Past and why you are here. Hugely important, as it affects your skills.

PLAYER LIST
Spoiler: Root Infinity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Choobakka (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: BDthemag (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TherosPherae (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zako (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scriver (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:59:58 pm by ggamer »

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Inception- A multi-layered RTD
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »

How long between turns?
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

Do I have to know stuff from the movie to play this? Just wondering.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:52:20 pm »

Do I have to know stuff from the movie to play this? Just wondering.
I would imagine it would be useful to know at least the basic premises of the movie... But I don't know.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:14 pm »

Name: Tiffany Martingale (Tiff)
Totem: A silver pocket-watch
(Do I need to explain what it does?)
Role: Computer Tinkerer/hacker
Bio:
Born to a single mother working in the US military. Her mother was arrested on drug charges and left the military at about the same time that she was born. As a result Tiff always had  a mixed view of the military; wanting to join it but at the same time worried about if she could adhere to the rules. She grew up on the West Coast, hopping around from place to place in both Canada and the US.  Because of this, she was always an outsider, which wasn't helped by the fact that "she didn't see the point of talking", as her therapist put it to her mother when she was 15. Her mother was alarmed by this (and rightly so?), and so decided that they - her and Tiff - needed a fresh start. She moved them both to New Brunswick, and took up work (the first steady work she had had since the military) at a small non-profit company buying used computers, refurbishing them, and selling them at cost to seniors and non-profit organizations. Tiff took up running at that point as well, which gave her time to think

That is where the story ends and I begin, my friends. I met a boy there in NB. He was a complete computer geek. I couldn't care less - all it meant to me was that people bullied me less. He, on the other hand, was estatic. He spent long hours trying to teach me programming and about computers - I never really got the hang of it for the most part. I can program, but not well. The thing we gradually realized that I was great at was hardware. It was great for my mom - I was fixing the computers left right and center and I seemed to be busy.
I gradually started to build computers. Little things at first (the first one was literally parts of a couple old microwaves), but the projects got grander. Did I mention that at this point we were settled down and we weren't going to move anytime soon? My usual excuses of "I just moved" and "we weren't taught that yet in my old school" had long since worn off. So I did something that most people would find stupid. I hacked into the school network and changed my grades. Would have succeeded too, had it not been for my BF deciding to tattle. That was partway through grade 12. I got kicked out of school, of course. I stayed at home for a while, before realizing that there really wasn't much for me there. So I started to wander. I started walking, doing odd jobs - fixing video cameras, making old computers work with new ones, in exchange for room and board. I'm in New Hampshire now. I decided to join the inception team simply for something to do - I literally walked in off the street one day, and they liked me, so here I am.

Some people would call me a wanderer. Some people would call me a geek, or a technocrat; a stranger or a genius. They are all right, but they are all wrong. I'm me. That's all. No more. No less.

(Make of this as you will.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:25:32 am by Root Infinity »

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »

Well, I'm not sure that ggamer is still going to run this, but...

Name: Joseph Brown, AKA Boxcar Joe the Magic Hobo

Totem: A bass guitar that's out of tune an exact amount

Role: The Warper (a master of getting the projections not to notice that he's changing the world)

Bio: Joe lost his job at age 30, and had to live on the streets. He wandered around the world for a while, but when he fell asleep on a couch on an alleyway, he was suddenly transported into someone else's dream. On the other side of the wall, there was a team of extractors stealing some secrets from a mob boss. He was noticed by the extractors right away, but the projections totally ignored him, even though he was changing the dream way more than ever thought possible. He was hired by those extractors to be a "warper" - changing the dream to help their goals. He always finds an alley or other secluded spot in the dream world and creates a couch in strangely good condition - a little quirk of his.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »

Name: Robert Charleson
Totem: A necklace with an ivory carved half moon on it.
Role: Dreamer (As in being able to better manipulate dreams and dimensions or whatever else involves stuff like that.)
Bio: Robert ever since he was a child noticed he could...manipulate things. In the real world it could be as simple as moving something without touching it a few inches. But in his dreams he noticed they are extremely real, and he could see into other peoples dreams. He's been using that ability ever since, selling information of the dreams to the highest buyer.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:03 pm »

Name: Daniel "David" Karlson
Totem: Lighter filled with a special fluid that causes flames of a specific color instead of the normal orange
Role: The Underdog
Bio: Very well known in the dream-altering community, David is infamous for his ability to remove guardians of a person's subcounscious. His nickname of "David" came from one particular incident with the head of the IRS in which he "killed" a large, looming giant of a dream-protector. Of course, he uses more conventional methods than a sling and a stone, and prefers to blow things up in large, fiery balls of death. He was hired for this job due to his experience in the dreamscape as well as his particular abilities.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:53:05 pm by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:03:15 am »

Big post, so if you want a clearer explaination, just go here and read the plot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inception

Name: Jack McGregor
Totem: A 6 sided dice that always lands on a single value
Role: One man assault squad
Bio: Daniel was always somewhat of a thug, a man of many talents in the illegal markets and back alley deals. An ex-special forces trooper with a focus in assault and field medical work, he was discharged after punching an officer after recieving an order that he didn't like and after that decided to put his talents and knowledge to good use in black market dealings and illegal ventures. One day, he found out from a contact of his about the concept of inception, that one could literally steal the secrets and ideas from anothers mind through the medium of dreams. After contacting a team of extractors with an offer of his services in exchange for a price, he decided that this was more his style of work.

Bacically, if you don't know about the movie inception (which is great by the way, you should watch it), the basic premise is like this:

Some how, people found a way to enter the dreams of another person using certain drugs and syncronised deep sleeping from certain sedatives. What's more, a properly creative and trained person, known as an architect, can create, and even manipulate in wierd and twisted ways, a world inside the mind of the original dreamer, and this world is populated by the the person who is dreaming with their thoughts, secrets and ideas. The people that you see in these worlds are called projections, they are the very being of the dreamers mind and at first they totally ignore the intruding team, but as the team and the architect make more and more of an inpact in the dream world, they begin to get noticed by the projections and the dreamers mind starts to realise something is wrong. This is very bad, since after enough pushing from the team, the projections start coming after you to kill you.

Futhermore, it is possible, for a team of trained men and women, to encounter the dreamer themselves in this world of his own making and trick him into forgetting something inside his own mind, or for the team to find a certain idea and steal it. This is difficult and very hard to do, and it requires careful planning and execution, namely going to sleep using the sleeping drugs INSIDE the dream, namely a dream inside a dream. This forms "layers" of dream worlds and the deeper you go, the easier it is to get the information you are looking for, which is called extraction and is typically done on a 2 layer dream state, or to get the subject to change his mind about something or to implant a thought into their mind. This is called inception, and both are quite illegal.

The purpose of the totem is simple, only you know what it does, and it only does one certain thing, like a coin always landing heads up or a dice always showing 4 on the top. This is to show you that you are infact awake and are NOT in a dream, since the dreamer or architect doesn't know what the totem would show or do.

The only ways to get out of these dreams is two ways, die or experience a falling sensation somehow in your dreaming body. This is known as a "kick" and has to be performed by the person who is left behind in the layer before. However, when performing inception, if you die, you will NOT wake up since you get stuck in limbo or raw subconcious due to the powerful sedative required to perform inception in the first place, and if you get sent into limbo, you will stay trapped there forever, so the only way to go back "up" a layer is to experience a falling sensation, for example, when you a leaning back on a chair and someone kicks the front legs of the chair up, that feeling you get when trying to balance on the chair is what will wake you up. To add to this, time is slower inside a dream, basically in real life when five minutes pass, an hour has passed in the dream. This also compounds on itself as you go down layers, so while five minutes pass on the real world, it would take something like 2 years on the 4th layer.

To make matters worse, what happens to your sleeping body in the dream can have an effect on the immediate layer down, such as falling off a bridge in a van while asleep makes the gravity in the layer immediately below that become nothing, ie you start floating in the air, or if that same van is on two wheels going around a corner, then if the dreamer is asleep in the van, then gravity in the layer down tilts with the van.

Finally, some people know of inception and have taken measures to protect themselves from it. Teams performing inception on such a target encounter "security" created by the subjects militarized subconcious or basically, people with guns out after you. You can kill these automations, but they will keep coming, despite what layer you are on. This is why it is handy to have people who know how to shoot things in a inception team.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:13:10 am by Zako »

EmoBiatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 05:16:51 am »

Name : Evan Rowing
Totem : A weighted pen
Role : A Dreamer [A Strategic sort of]
Bio : Daniel has been his whole life quite creative and smart, when other's were doing simple math, he was doing college mathtests and came very popular beating the current chessmaster. He became the armys special strategian, but he didnt want to harm people, but to help them, so the corporation hired him to help people defend their subconscious.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:25:13 pm by EmoBiatch »
I'm flying faster than the speed of SANDWICH !

Every monday's first words : Hurrfriggin' horseshit....

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »

I'm interested, can you put me on a waiting list?
Love, scriver~

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »

I'm interested, can you put me on a waiting list?

Same here.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »

wow, this happened.

Sorry, after the first day with no reply, I got kinda discouraged. I'll get to the next turn soon enough, as well as the questions.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 04:25:30 pm »

Sorry, after the first day with no reply, I got kinda discouraged.
For some reason in forums things like this tend to be exponential growth - someone posts, then someone else notices it's on the front page and so posts too, and so on... go figure.
Not quite on topic but it seems to fit - http://xkcd.com/592/

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 04:30:59 pm »

"You are all waiting for a train"... I lol'd.
Pages: [1] 2 3