Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mass-designate butchering  (Read 716 times)

HollowClown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mass-designate butchering
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:05:07 pm »

The title says it all, really.  It would be really, really handy if there was a mass-designate option for slaughtering, just like the current features for dumping/claiming/hiding objects.  Select a region, and any butcherable animals within the region would be flagged for slaughter.

For example, say you've got 20 turkeys in cage #1, and 20 turkeys in cage #2.  Say you want to slaughter all the turkeys in cage #1, and leave all the turkeys in cage #2.  With the current interface, this is seriously non-trivial;  there's no way on the animal page to see which animals are in which cage, and you can't flag individual animals for slaughter while they're in a cage by viewing the cage contents.  Having a handy way to mark everything in a specific cage/pasture/room for slaughter would make life a whole lot easier.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass-designate butchering
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:51:41 am »

Ultimately I would like to see a system where you could auto-butcher animals past a certain age with respect to gender and a limit to ensure you dont butcher your last breeding pair.

Something like butcher all males past 3 years and females past 5 years, yet keep 2 females and a male.

You could even include a "herdmaster" noble and give him a species-based settings page.

Species retaining rates could also be changed to ensure a high output of meat and raw materials.

This is a bit different to your idea HollowClown, and would probably be implemented after mass-designations due to the reduced amount of micromanagment/work required to implement it.

Still, anything that makes slaughtering easier is good in my books  ;D
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:24 am »

I found the title so damn funny. Anyways i think this has been suggested many times. I totally support this. Maybe there should be a nobel called Meat master or Head butcher or sth. Then you could choose these things through nobel menu just like we choose bookkeeper's currently.

Orealisk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:10:22 pm »

This would be very nifty, and fairly fail proof considering all one would have to do is assign animals to cages or pens/pastures to prevent others from being selected.

It could be implemented similarly to the squad screen's kill command to select enemy by rectangle. Just have the same kind of option under the animal screen (z>animals) and then select a new option to mass butcher which will zoom back to the map temporarily and back to the animal screen when complete.

Another option rather than mass butcher could be a new column that lists the age and where the animal is located, and being able to name these locations to eliminate butchering the wrong animal.

Either way, full support for this idea!
Quantum Dumps Are For Sissies.

Giant Dumps That Bog Pathing Are For The Strong.