Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Bloodbowl: LE - Season 2 - Morg's Meat Mashers Wins!  (Read 21601 times)

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl: LE - Season 2 - Week 1!
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2011, 08:19:06 am »

*crickets*

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:46 am »

Yeah, I don't know.

I spoke with both Sartain and Xgamer (although at different times of day) yesterday. It seemed unlikely that they'd be able to play Sunday, but I was assured that since Monday is a holiday in the UK, that the two of them would be able to meet.

However, I haven't heard anything since then, and a quick check online shows that they have not yet played... so...

In the best interests of the league, I'm going to advance the week tonight. If a full week PLUS weekend is unable to find ANY timeslot for which both players can devote just one hour of their time to, I don't think throwing additional days at the problem is going to solve it.

I'd love it if we could have every team playing every week, but we've already given more time for this single game than I had originally planned for, and I don't want to keep everyone else waiting forever.

Since I've spoken with both parties, and they honestly both seem to be trying to work something out, if I must advance the week, the game will be declared a 1-1 tie.

Everyone, look here for the next week's schedule as of... I dunno, probably 6 or 7 PM EST.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:36 pm »

Ok, I just got a hold of Sartain, but I have to leave for work in 10-20 minutes, so it's not near enough time to play a game. We may or may not get one going later today, I get off work at 1AM his time, but we'll see.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »

Well guys, we tried. I got back from work and Sartain seems to have disappeared or fallen asleep. Not that I can blame him. And I'm leaving soon, so on the very small chance he does show up, I won't be able to do anything. Between timezones and work/sleep schedules, it seems like we live completely opposite lives as far as timing goes. Might as well advance the week and hope the shuffle works out better for the next round.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »

As it happens, I'm going to be away from my home computer until tomorrow morning. Not that it looks like you two will be able to use the time to try to get the game in, but just to explain why next week is going to have to wait till then.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2011, 09:26:22 am »

Ok then,

Here's week 2:
Magentawolf - Chaos - The Ides of Khaos vs ndkid - Orc - Morg's Meat Mashers
DMBlackhart - Undead - Blackhart's Blighters vs Sartain - Lizardmen - Black Pyramid Spawnlings
Fikes - Skaven - Dah Fikeseas vs Vherid - Human - Brooklyn Brawlers
AlStar - Goblin - Giving the Boot vs Xgamer4 - Dark Elf - X's Deathbringers
Cthulhu - Nurgle - Squid's Blubs vs Flat Eric - Elf - Blacktoof Co (BYE)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl: LE - Season 2 - Week 2!
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

AlStar - Goblin - Giving the Boot vs Xgamer4 - Dark Elf - X's Deathbringers

Giving the Boot defeats X's Deathbringers 2-0.

The Deathbringers started off with the ball, so the goblins started off with just their bomber on field, with the fanatic and chainsaw watching from the sidelines.

It was blizzarding on the field, and would remain so all game long.

... Honestly, after playing two games back to back, I'm bringing up a bit of a blank for this game, so I'll just mention some highlights.

The first throw of a bomb missed its target, and was caught by an elf. That elf passed the bomb to another elf (not sure if it was intentional) who then tried to throw it at some goblins, but the pass was fumbled, and the elf went down BH.

The witch elf also went down fairly early on, although thankfully just a minor injury, so she'll be back next game.

The ball was stolen in the first, and the pogoer brought the ball up and scored at the end of the first 1-0.

In the second the chainsaw goblin, after some decent blitzes, tripped on the ice and BH himself. Whoops.

An elf is SI'd, then apohed to... a worse SI. Ouch.

Finally, mostly due to a lack of players on the opposing team, the goblins are able to bring the ball up to the goal... and stall. Stall like their lives depend on it (which it might!)

On the final turn, a goblin is SI'd for a -MV, and a goblin runs in the ball. 2-0.

Good game X!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:34:04 pm by AlStar »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »

Just finished my game with Vherid. Dah Fikeseas won 2 to 0.

To be fair the game was much much closer than it sounded. In true skaven fashion a couple of lucky plays ended in scores.

Fikeseas received the kick and pushed to the side lines. After a several turn brawl, including a failed pass, they managed to get the ball out of the pile, stalled for a couple of turns and finally scored.

With only two turns left in the half, the brawlers set out to do some damage, leaving their ball carrier unguarded. A quick blitz by Dah Fikeseas resulted in a loose ball and a recovery by the skaven bastards.

The Brawlers set out to offer revenge, but a failed "going for it on" on a blitz resulted in, of all things, a DEATH!

The second half  started much like the first, with a big time brawl close to the sidelines. After many turns of pushseas and punchseas the sneaky Skaven snuk off with the ball again. A very unlucky double "defender down" sealed the deal, and Dah Fikeseas scored a second time.

When the final whistle blew, Dah Fikeseas were ahead 2 to 0 with the Brawlers suffering a death and a fractured skull while Dah Fikeseas just had a few knocked out.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:27 pm »

Yeah I was excited to fight a squishy team, and hopefully do some damage, but it really went the complete opposite of what I expected.

Damn.

But it was a good game either way.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »

Bah, for some odd reason I'm not getting updates on this thread even though I've subbed it.
In any case, sorry for being hard to catch for games, seems this other-side-of-the-world issue makes playing harder than I thought it would.
If only I could be matched against harakka for all my matches it would be a lot easier ;)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2011, 08:23:47 pm »

Before the match: a riot burns time.

O2: Ball is kicked well into the corner; a thrower picks it up. One black orc takes a Chaos warrior down; the other black orc, and his friends, push him down the line, until faced with a blitzer with a 1-die block, which the blitzer fails (a 2-die fail got rerolled earlier in the process). Quick end to the orc line work.

C2: Minotaur gets a block, rest of the Chaos Horde moves in to the line, which has turned into two scrums.

O3: Insistent on showing their superiority at knocking things over, the Orcs make a successful 2-die block, again push a chaos warrior... and again fail the 1-die block. Quick round, with ball still well in the rear.

C3: Two Beastmen end up on top of the poor lone backfield thrower, and five orcs are down.

O4: An orc gets free! The thrower sees him, dodges around the beastmen, goes for it twice, goes for a long pass... and fumbles. I'd rather not think about how many fumbled passes that makes in the two games so far.

C4: More knockdowns. The beastmen yawn, pick up the ball, and waltz it in.

O5: After a stern talking to on the sidelines, the Orcs come out more ready to play. A quick snap after another deep kick puts the orcs in reasonable position. The deep thrower picks up the ball and moves forward. The orcs control the left side of the line, and actually succeed at a couple of 1-die blocks on the right. They even stun a beastman, the largest injury so far.

C5: A knocked out orc via the minotaur. A beastman gets next to the ball.

O6: The thrower again dodges, again goes for it twice, but, this time, manages to get the ball into the hands of the waiting lineman. That, and a few good blocks, get the orcs with a two-man wall to defend the ballcarrier.

C6: The orcs have positioned their defense pretty well. The beastmen try to get in position, but nobody threatens the ball carrier.

O7: Only a couple of 2-die blocks are needed to free the ballcarrier and 2-man wall to move downfield; barring a Chaos miracle, a TD next turn is assured.

C7: No miracle occurs.

O8: TD

C8: A couple of knockdowns, but no real damage.

Halftime score: 1-1 Tie

C9: The orcs blitz, managing to get a thrower beside the catching beastman (who was lucky enough to be positioned right where the ball was landing). The thrower even managed to stay on his feet when another beastman came around to gore him. Thankfully, the minotaur boffs a 2-die block early in the round.

O9: The left flanker blitzer gets free, and knocks down the ball carrier. The thrower does his part and knocks down the friend that smacked him around. Sadly, a snafu on the line leaves little else accomplished.

C10: It's not a pretty field when it's over, but a beastman manages to get back and pick up the ball.

O10: Poor order of operations leads to only one good getting beside the ballcarrier, and several orcs still being on the ground.

C11: Another messy looking round, that ends with a beastman with the ball at midfield.

O11: The orcs make Dodgy McDodgerson proud. This is especially true for the lineman who dodges out, dodges back in the pick up the ball in a tackle zone (left when good blocking freed up a black orc for a stand-and-go-for-it blitz), and then dodge out again and go for it twice, all without using a reroll. I think he may just be an upsized goblin or something.

C12: The beastman horde get the ballcarrier down, and get defenders on pretty much every orc.

O12: The orcs get sufficient force back to get the ballcarrier down and the ball into the hands of a blitzer with a little (but not enough) support.

C13: Amazingly, not enough beastmen can get back to do any damage to the ballcarrier. His position is bad, but he's still up... unlike a lot of the rest of the team.

O13: The ballcarrier makes a mostly-lateral run to get free of the lingering threats, then makes a break for the end zone. He gets a few yards away, with one man guarding his back shoulder.

C14: A beastman falls over going for it! Hail Morg!

O14: The blitzer runs into the end zone before anyone can stop him.

C15: The orcs line up in prevent defense. As many American Football commentators will tell you, this is effective at preventing defense. The touchback doesn't help. A beastman gets the ball halfway into the orc side of the pitch, behind a minotaur. Uh-oh.

O15: Not paying attention is bad. I attempt to blitz with the freebie spare player I have, who comes with loner. I may have three rerolls left, but he fails to use 'em. I now have one man on the ballcarrier.

C16: Sadly, the man with the ball is one go-for-it short of the end zone, and has no men farther downfield. (Except the lead block minotaur, who, even if he didn't go wild, has one movement less, so has the same problem.) So... blood for the blood god! Except not, as the consistency of 0 casualties continues. 7/10 orcs down, not even a KO.

O16: A couple of blocks get a KO, so the 0 casualty match holds.

Final: Morg's Meat Mashers 2 - 1 The Ides of Khaos

Thoughts:
If I were a fan, I'd ask for my money back. 0 Casualties, especially with these two teams, is deplorable.
The money I put into those 4 rerolls continues to pay dividends... it's precisely what lets me run orcs like they're elves, because until I use that first reroll in a turn, the chances of failing a dodge with a reroll are only around 11%.
It's been a while since I've played as orcs, and I'm being reminded how flexible they are. I definitely am willing to give up the mobility of the humans in exchange for the orky ability to stay on the pitch.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2011, 08:36:15 pm »

And good write-up and game by ndkid. :)

It was painful watching the game end with the ball just a bloody inch away from the goal line. Thinking on it, I miiight have sent a chaos warrior into the end-zone and blitzed the defender off of the ball carrier with my minotaur instead, but I just can't trust him enough.

I almost regret hiring the bastard now.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2011, 11:11:15 pm »

Always great to see games that aren't my own being played. Game has been validated.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2011, 12:05:26 am »

And good write-up and game by ndkid. :)

It was painful watching the game end with the ball just a bloody inch away from the goal line. Thinking on it, I miiight have sent a chaos warrior into the end-zone and blitzed the defender off of the ball carrier with my minotaur instead, but I just can't trust him enough.

I almost regret hiring the bastard now.

Yeah, minotaurs are pretty low-tier as far as big guys go, but Rat Ogres are the worst.  Kroxigor and Beast of Nurgle are bestest.
Shoes...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2011, 09:55:15 am »

Yeah, minotaurs are pretty low-tier as far as big guys go, but Rat Ogres are the worst.  Kroxigor and Beast of Nurgle are bestest.
It's starting with Frenzy and being able to get mutations that make the Minotaur so handy. Tentacles on a S5 guy are rude. A ST5 that gets to redo when he pushes you is also often helpful. Assuming he doesn't sit there and do nothing, obviously...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19