Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal to experience huge fps lag when visiting an prior fortress of yours  (Read 827 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just kinda curious, had a fortress with 250 residents (mountainhome) and abandoned it at 15fps , found out it would be fun to go visit it in adventure mode.
When I arrived at the place my fps went down to 15 but with stops (each time I wanted to take a step forward it would take 3-5 seconds) making the visit rather impossible.

Is this kinda normal behaviour?

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly it is. At least, it always was for me.
I didn't have that problem with smaller forts, though only the first few visits.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's kinda odd though as one would expect the pathfinding issues that where in Dwarf fortress mode would no longer apply since the residents would either be unmoving or not there at all.
My little visit has showed that the fortress was abandoned and partly looted by enemies, but even getting close to the treasury seems to be impossible , each step involves an even larger "Wait" period. I guess it must have something to do with the amount of items being on the site or something.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know how DF does this (I know some people do, I just never seriously !!experimented!! to find out, myself), but when you're wandering over the procedural landscape it's probably mostly just landscape-generating maths, but perhaps as you're stepping closer into a player-built fort (as opposed to a procedural one) it needs to load up the "what was there" data.  It would either be one huge data grab (for a massive pause in one hit) or gradual slice-grabbing (would give similar effects to what you're describing.

Does object-scatter (and other Abandonness-effects) occur upon abandon, or does it only get generated when next observed?  (Possible test: Adventurer visits, notes scatter, leaves... Another adventurer visits, is scatter different/more?  But I can see a problem with that if Adventurer unload procedures equates to Abandonment unload procedures, w.r.t. this kind of thing.)  Even if you're nowhere near the treasury, I could imagine it doing a 'look ahead' for what should have been there and then procedurally moving items around so that ones that wander in your direction are there ready for the next step.  And in a Mountainhome, that wasn't run into the ground or finished off with a mass atom-smash attempt, I can imagine a lot of items needing rearranging.

But probably got the concepts behind that wrong, just my first thoughts.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

I found out it just a large number of Demons walking around in hell that cause fort slow downs.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found out it just a large number of Demons walking around in hell that cause fort slow downs.
well then lets reduce that number

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well then lets reduce that number
good luck on doing that.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games

You've never killed a demon? (I guess I haven't in several versions ...)
You die in the heat.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Demons are damn tough. At least, some of them are. Alright, they aren't, but there are bound to be a few that will kill you no matter what you do. In my current world it's mud golems that breathe an extract that causes massive bleeding in medium term and leech demons who always manage to latch on and tear off my shield arm.

Back to the subject at hand, I use Runesmith to kill all the excess creatures when I re-visit my fort. One time there were about 400 cavern men and 100 demons. Game didn't even reach 1 FPS.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've never killed a demon? (I guess I haven't in several versions ...)
I mean good luck attempting to stop the endless flow of Demons.
using Runesmith only seem to kill a unknown chuck of them.
"body swapping and YOU!"