Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: peasant starts.  (Read 1522 times)

thedryness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
peasant starts.
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:02:17 pm »

So I should probably begin by saying this; I am the sort of person that basically refuses to play most games on anything but the hardest difficulty available, so naturally I'm pretty stubborn about only wanting to start my adventure as a peasant. But I keep dying the first time I run into any animal bigger than a bread box.

So far today (been home "sick" playing basically all day) I've been killed by;
a horse
a deer
a moose
a badger
goblins a few times
sturgeon MANY times
twice by cougars
twice lamprey eels (one of them ohko'd me before i even saw it (blends into water with texturepack))
a pack of boogy man
twice by packs of wolves
...and probably a few that I'm forgetting now.

Has anybody been able to even get a proper adventurer trained up to a maintainable level from a peasant? Any tips on doing so?

Basically my strategy has been this so far; sneak/swim up and down rivers and kill platypusses and lampreys and avoid sturgeon. Whenever I see a sturgeon I climb out and throw sharpened rocks at it from above until it dies or passes out and hack at it for hours until it dies. whenever I'm on land and see anything bigger than a bread box I dive into the nearest pool and sneak until it leaves.

another strategy I will sometimes use is that I will find abandoned fortresses filled with normal animals and fight the weak ones until night sleep in the king's room until dawn and then repeat, but I will usually still end up getting killed from a lucky shot or accidentally triggering a deer or moose to charge when I'm trying to corner a turkey.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: peasant starts.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:40 pm »

Pick up a bunch of rocks. Throw. Repeat until legendary.

Pick up a bunch of heavy shit. One-shot dragons by pegging them in the head.

Or at least that's how it used to work, don't know if it still does.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

snoopychicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:25:06 pm »

Go out kill some things, butcher them, then sell the meat to buy armor. Once you've got a full set and a good weapon go grab a couple of meatshields companions and take a quest. Make sure you stay at the back, fight tactically and don't be afraid to run if it looks like you're going to get overwhelmed. Always have max companions.

Ive had moderate success with the above methods, usually dieing via ambush on the larger quests, but I don't grind as I haven't got the patience.

Good luck!

zair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:37:55 pm »

honestly there is no consistant method but my best adventurer peasant i just snuck up on some monkeys that had no observer skill and choked them for a few hours without them noticing. then i went to a bandic camp after using their meat to get armor and i led individual bandits off to slay in one on one combat. remember to drain the useless attributes and put enough in agility to run away from mowt things

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:50:21 pm »

I'm def. going with snoopychicken on this one. It would be horrible to spend all that time grinding out levels and then an archer getting a lucky shot straight to your brain.

Def. treat companions as meatshields because if you act the hero and try and save them, you will probably just die along with them. Maybe go for peasants first since they are "abundant" and not overly useful anyway.

If you would like to grind, pick up a crutch, find a pool and sneak/swim. That will increase some attributes very quickly because 3 skills are being simultaneously trained.
You die in the heat.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:54 am »

So I should probably begin by saying this; I am the sort of person that basically refuses to play most games on anything but the hardest difficulty available, so naturally I'm pretty stubborn about only wanting to start my adventure as a peasant. But I keep dying the first time I run into any animal bigger than a bread box.

Make sure you start out as an outsider too! I started my last adventurer as a peasant outsider with no attribute boosts and swimming as my only skill. I threw my dagger and rocks at small wildlife until I could sell the corpses to afford some decent armour, as has been suggested. Then I was ready for some night creatures.

Remember most wildlife doesn't attack you unless you move right next to it, even if you start throwing/shooting at it. so use big animals like deer and horses to train throwing and to provide lots of meat for selling, and small harmless animals like groundhogs to train close combat skills. And I've never had a problem with goblins if I stay near the human towns.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

I somehow have better luck with peasants than anything, so my current character is a peasant turned legend, only ever incurring one wound. Somehow just kept getting lucky on night creature missions despite my low stats.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »

Macros making training throwing trivial. At legendary thrower, you can kill elves from 10 tiles away by throwing sand.  :)

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a philosopher! No, it's a raptor! No, i-AAGGH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:41:31 pm »

Whenever I play peasant or outsider, I usually just set combat pref to close combat (wrestling only) and spam wrestle a turkey for a few hours to get legendary fighter and wrestler, as well as some more beefed up stats.
Softer than a baby dwarf's beard.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »

With outsiders and peasants, it might be helpful to not put any points into any weapon skill and put them into Fighter or Dodger, ect.

This way once you manage to kill some bandit you can take his weapon and train that. Also, mining picks are wondrous weapons in advent mode and can be traded for in general stores in human cities. Might consider "speccing" into picks, they are overpowered in a way.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »

I only play as peasants, and you need a bit of luck to be sucseeful, my most recent one was slaying megabeasts before a lucky-ass bogyman somehow managed to punch my guy in the head thoufgh 3 iron caps and a steel helm, killing him insstantly (yes i avoid having conpainones too) the easiest way to peasnt it is to find an abandoned fortress(huamn castle not dwarfan) and hund gazeles/ground hog etc, basicly anything smaller than you. and with it being an abandoned fortress the crittes just run into walls, making them easy prey. selling the meat to buy armour, this trains you up while giving you protection. once you have a full set start killing bogey men to train your weapon skills, then start questing once to can dispatch them with ease.
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:14:10 am »

I have been playing a lot of peasants recently. For the Ultimate Badass Truelly Manly Badass Peasant Challenge:

All your stats much be the lowest possible, though either strength or agility may be below average.
You must have no skills, excepting two points into swimming, and one point into either stealth or a point into striking and another into kicking.
If you are playing on Genesis mod, you must destroy all your starting possessions except your dagger, and can build your own equipment, though you may purchase new equipment.
You may not grind skills up, etc purposely keeping the animal you are attacking alive, throwing lots of harmless objects, except if it is a matter of personal revenge, etc this bandit boss killed your last peasant.
You may have no more than two companions, and may have no soldier, well armed, or skilled in combat companions until you have killed your first night beast, semimegabeast, weak titan, etc. You may have up to five companions after you have killed your first megabeast, forgotten beast, strong titan, etc.
Remember: you're suposed to have fun dying, but even more fun surviving, and rising above the waves of the weak, in body or will, and becoming a true hero.
Report any named peasant deaths here, with a brief backstory to how you survived so long.
Wear a cape, be a vigilante. (Optional)

Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.