Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's in charge around here?!  (Read 438 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who's in charge around here?!
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

Question... I know if all dwarven civs are wiped out, you can't play Fortress mode because dwarves are dead. Well, I made a world and went into adventurer and there are no dwarf civs to choose from. However, I can play Fortress mode. What does this mean? Is my king/queen dead? Will I get new ones? Will my fortress become the new hub of existance?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
Re: Who's in charge around here?!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »

maybe some scattered dwarves lived or something, that's what i say but i dont really know

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »

I'm fairly sure you can play fortress mode even with no surviving dwarven civs. You just only get the first two waves of immigrants and no caravans.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:09 pm »

The gods created your fortress dwarves ex nihilo out of the very clay magma of the earth.  They'll continue to be the only dwarves in the world (save perhaps some refugees living in the wilderness, which is possible but as far as I know makes zero difference in fortress mode), which means no dwarven caravan and at most one (edit: or maybe two?) group of migrants (pretty sure you'll get none but I remember hearing something about how the first migration can follow some different rules).

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:30:24 am »

Seven dwarves bumped into each other and though "Hey, I think we're the last dwarves alive. Lets strike the earth!"

If you're lucky, you'll attract many more refugees and begin to rebuild dwarven kind. You get no caravan from the capital because you are the capital. (The first two waves are hard coded, if you want a lot of dwarves you better make some mad wealth and put your workshops underground ASAP)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!