Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: If Dwarves(God Forbid) had acess to the internet  (Read 10604 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: If Dwarves(God Forbid) had acess to the internet
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »

I'm just impressed by how the first post in this thread had 3 different spellings of the same word... ;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 01:46:03 pm »

You are wrong, we only think we're playing DF.

In reality, DF is playing us.

"What if we gave the humans the internet? I don't know, lets code it in and find out. Hey look, they would create a game about us! Hahaha, we look so silly!"
Wait, if I realize that this reality is just a computer simulation, will I start to see everything in descending green ASCII characters?

Well if this indeed were true.. then why haven't I already been thrown ino magma/lava yet?
Our world has already stabilized, had all the bugs worked out, and advanced technologically. We've forgotten about all the wonky physics and fantasy elements, mostly due to a psychic Weirdness Censor caused by repeated bugfixes and a few government coverups. Not only is this reality a simulation, so is the reality on which ours is based. With each iteration there is a certain amount of error in the accuracy of the simulation, causing the resultant world to develop slightly differently. As the chain of recursive realities extends to infinity, every possible universe is represented somewhere down the line. The only event common to every iteration of the universe is the existence of the Great Toady One, a being who, at some place and some time in the universe, is destined to create the simulation which will proliferate the cycle and begin the next iteration.

I call this the Dwarven Multiverse Theory.

I don't know, Timmy, being God is a big responsibility
If you haven't read the above short story, do so; while not perfect, it's quite high on the "makes you think" scale, while remaining reasonably amusing. 

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »

Holy.....well i was pretty tired when i made that post
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

"What if we gave the humans the internet? I don't know, lets code it in and find out. Hey look, they would create a game about us! Hahaha, we look so silly!"
Wait, if I realize that this reality is just a computer simulation, will I start to see everything in descending green ASCII characters?

Well if this indeed were true.. then why haven't I already been thrown ino magma/lava yet?
Our world has already stabilized, had all the bugs worked out, and advanced technologically. We've forgotten about all the wonky physics and fantasy elements, mostly due to a psychic Weirdness Censor caused by repeated bugfixes and a few government coverups. Not only is this reality a simulation, so is the reality on which ours is based. With each iteration there is a certain amount of error in the accuracy of the simulation, causing the resultant world to develop slightly differently. As the chain of recursive realities extends to infinity, every possible universe is represented somewhere down the line. The only event common to every iteration of the universe is the existence of the Great Toady One, a being who, at some place and some time in the universe, is destined to create the simulation which will proliferate the cycle and begin the next iteration.

Alright.. let me rephrase that then..

Then why haven't the Hammerer visited me yet?
We have tons of corrupt nobles, he's busy with them.

I don't know, Timmy, being God is a big responsibility
If you haven't read the above short story, do so; while not perfect, it's quite high on the "makes you think" scale, while remaining reasonably amusing.
That story was my inspiration, actually. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 05:57:57 pm »

Alright.. let me rephrase that then..

Then why haven't the Hammerer visited me yet?
We have tons of corrupt nobles, he's busy with them.

So how come Nixon didn't get hammered?

"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 06:36:06 pm »

More importantly, why haven't the entire world's governments been hammered?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »

Probably because you're assuming that each simulation is identical, and that, for some reason, ours uses rules that you think are in Dwarf Fortress(and somehow missing the fact that nobles generally have [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]).  For all you know, we're already modded.

I need to stop trying to reply to this thread.  I've already deleted three tangents related to universe simulation.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:43 pm »

I don't know, maybe because humans arn't nearly as sugestable as dwarves, for example..
Dwarves: If they think they hear a voice that tells them to do something they do it without question even if the command ends in death/and or disemboweling
Humans:If they KNOW a Person tells them to do something they ask questions and afterwards they still wouldn't do anything even if its in their interest.
Therefore, if dwarves do play a game called "Human Fortress" then it would be incredibly boring since humans have a thing called self-preservation
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:36:22 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57:10 pm »

I imagine if dwarves had access to the internet they would make a site exactly like this one except all the topics are about booze.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 07:18:38 am »

They'd create some site like Omegle.

Urist McLonely: Hey, 65/M/Boatmurdered.
Troll McNotSpawnedYet: Hey, baby ;) 60/F/Cavern layer 3
Urist McLonely: k, meet you there
Troll McNotSpawnedYet: okay baby

*3 cavern layers later*

Urist McLonely has been struck down.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:38 am »

Sometimes I imagine all the posts on this forum are dwarves sitting at a pub and talking about their adventures/outposts. It's really funny when you think about it.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:15 pm »

In my current world there is location called The Mountain Halls of Othosbomrek - The Mountain of Tweeting.

I myself have never used twitter, but it seems my dwarfs are ahead of me.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:07 pm »

It already happened, its the only way Bay12 could have been created.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 06:38:18 am »

Urist McToady managed to crawl through the small hole in existance creted through the use of internet, along with his friend Urist McIHaveLostSevenOfMyToes, and created DF and Bay12.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:11 am »

Well the dwarves already have access to working computers--http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8269. You just need to find ways of programming very simple versions of DF into them. Or HF I suppose.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4