Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Down ramp remains after cavein  (Read 1326 times)

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Down ramp remains after cavein
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:26:00 am »

Just as the title says - I collapsed a large chunk of land and now have a down ramp icon suspended in the air a couple z levels above the ground.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Down ramp remains after cavein
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 06:29:00 am »

I have also seen this behavior a couple of times. What struck me as the most interesting part was that all those ghost flying down ramps were materialless i.e. "obsidian down ramp"->"down ramp", "silty clay down ramp"->"down ramp".

Edit:grammar.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:17:40 am by Another »

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »

This bug is still present in 40d16.  After collapsing a large hill, natural slopes that were on the connected land bug out.  Things I noticed:

1.) The upward portion of the ramp seems to have been destroyed - only the "Downward Slope" on the level above the original location remains.

2.) These ramps are not walkable, do not show up in Visual Fortress, and seem to have no effect other than aesthetically.

3.) The ramps take on the color of whatever is on the next solid level below them.  For example, pouring magma around underneath the ramps turned them from grassy to the dark red of magma several levels below (odd, but I expect this is the intended behavior)

4.) The ramps are indeed material-less.  Building floors underneath them changes their color but does not give them a material.  Deconstructing a floor underneath one removes it.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:50 am »

Just as the title says - I collapsed a large chunk of land and now have a down ramp icon suspended in the air a couple z levels above the ground.

Yea, its a known bug which leaves these ghost ramps in midair.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:34:20 am »

I can confirm it's still present in 40d18, though I don't really see what the harm is.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:41:08 am »

I have also managed to reproduce this by constructing a ramp, constructing a floor on the space above the ramp, deconstructing the ramp, then deconstructing the floor.  Result is an unusable no-material ghost ramp floating in air.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.