Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to stop planepacking.  (Read 875 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
how to stop planepacking.
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

so im experimentig with a planepacked artiface and im wondering how to getmy guy to stop getting stone and to move onto metal bars or leather or somethig else.
do i just forbid all stone or is it more complex.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: how to stop planepacking.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:51:05 pm »

That's the opposite of what you want to do I think. I forget exactly how it works, but forbidding was vital to proper planepacking
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »

That's the opposite of what you want to do I think. I forget exactly how it works, but forbidding was vital to proper planepacking
No, forbidding things is unrelated to the Planepacked bug. It does cause somewhat-similar behavior if you forbid items as the moody dwarf brings them to the workshop, but not to the same degree as the more famous bug. IIRC the forbiddance method is strictly limited to doubling the materials, while Planepacking can get hundreds of times as many.

Anyway, the Planepacked bug is caused by having the moody dwarf's claimed workshop not in a burrow the moody dwarf is assigned to. To end the collection phase and get the dwarf to move on, simply unassign the dwarf from all burrows or assign them to a burrow that includes their workshop. I'm pretty sure that you can't re-engage the bug to have them gather infinite metal if they're on a masonry or other stone-primary mood, but that will let them actually make the artifact.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:45:37 pm »

Whenever the dwarf is in the "bringing items to workshop" phase, just forbid and immediately after unforbid the secondary materials you DON'T want him to use. AKA adamantine, steel, wood if you're on short supply, flux if you're on short supply, or other things you have in short supply / you don't want to waste for decorations. This way, you can control a bit your artifacts.

Beware the forbidding of the main material, that might screw over the artifact's creation and make the mood a failure.

I have not tried planepacking yet.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:12:58 am »

i think i can solve it by assigning the burrow so it no longer contains the stone as i tried before and the dwarf moved on when i ran out of rough gems.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.