Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lava hiccup or am I doing it wrong?  (Read 1316 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lava hiccup or am I doing it wrong?
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »

Ok, just dug down to a magma tube, I have breached the tube at the side to create a lava fuel room.  I have a room above with channeled holes to the magma room.  I try to create magma smelters and forges... but what is this... they are not available to construct.  Unsure if I have run into a glitch or if I am doing it wrong, I usually have no problems getting the magma industry up...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
Re: Lava hiccup or am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:03:48 pm »

You might need to recieve the magma sea discovery message. Before then, looks like your dwarves don't know what they can do with magma.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:08:46 pm »

You might need to recieve the magma sea discovery message. Before then, looks like your dwarves don't know what they can do with magma.

The best way to do so is throwing down an unpopular dorf down the pipe.
Preferably a noble, would some around here say.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:13:14 pm »

Kittens work just as well if you don't have any dwarves you want to dump. They're also easier to drop, just define a pit zone and select Mr. Fluffles the intrepid lava explorer.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:08:32 pm »

thanks, looks like like I'll dump a dog, dwarves are in short supply as a seige is intercepting my migrants...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:45:24 pm »

Dump them from a few z-levels above the surface of the lava, if possible. Otherwise I've found they drown before falling very far.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:47:29 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:59 pm »

^^Yes, if you drop a creature from the surface of the lava they will stay 1 z-level lower. Well burn to death quickly if not fire immune and if temp is on, and just keep swimming in lava if temp is off.

If you drop creatures from 1 Z-level or more into lava, they will descend straight to the end and your dog will probably drown/burn to death at the level of the magma flow.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »

what's special with the magma flow anyway? i'd like to know

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 03:41:54 am »

As every one knows, Nobles are Genius Lave Explorers.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:52 am »

You don't even have to throw a sapient down it, you can drop like a piece of floor or something and it should work. Or a Goblin.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:43:22 am »

Could it just be that the fuel room hasn't reached 4/7 or whatever is necessary?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »

Could it just be that the fuel room hasn't reached 4/7 or whatever is necessary?
No, you should be able to build magma furnaces and forges and stuff regardless of 4/7 magma under the construction site. The workshop simply won't be functional until there's enough magma under it.

Cats, wonderfully Intrepid Lava Explorers... I like that title.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 12:13:16 am »

what's special with the magma flow anyway? i'd like to know
It destroys any item falling on it from above, and is unminable.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 12:57:58 am »

well, any magma is unminable so ,hum ,ya, so that means even magma resistant stuff get destroyed there?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 01:37:51 am »

If it falls onto "Magma Flow" anything will be destroyed.

There are "tricks" for dealing with Magma flow though: Pump all the magma away from the SMR, channel a hole into the SMR, then floor over the channel and drop a cave-in onto it. Trust me, this lets you tunnel into the SMR (only works for tiles which are not fully revealed, it's ok if you can see the top).

I had best results when putting the floor down, then a support on top of the floor, and a natural wall above the support. This blasted right through the (already channelled) SMR into the HFS area, when the lever was pulled.

When I "dangled" the walls with a support from above, then the SMR "ate" multiple z-levels of rock wall, but still became normal rock: i.e. it plugged the channelled gap only but didn't breach right into HFS. Somehow, this way, that single SMR tile ate multiple z-levels of natural rock, leaving only a single tile's worth. Note that I had to channel then floor over the SMR tile before this worked.

I developed the above methods because I had a map with no "tubes" and I wanted to explore...so I got creative.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:56:20 am by Reelyanoob »
Pages: [1] 2