Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decorating a weapon  (Read 1747 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Decorating a weapon
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:02 am »

Can you decorate weapons with bone etc., with the limitation being only with gems?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Decorating a weapon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »

If the only option for the material you want to decorate with in the craftsdwarf workshop is "decorate craft" then I don't think you can decorate weapons with it, since weapons =/= crafts.

You might get lucky and have a dwarf produce a strange mood weapon decorated with non-gem materials.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:18:19 am »

You can also stud with metal.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:22:47 am »

A lot of my weapons are ringed with bone. I'm even wondering if the encrust with finished goods command includes weapons.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:37 am »

Don't dwarves pick weapon upgrades based on item price?

If this is the case, decorations could mess up your upgrade path if you decorate hell of no-quality copper axe, right?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:57:32 am »

A lot of my weapons are ringed with bone. I'm even wondering if the encrust with finished goods command includes weapons.

"Encrust finished goods" at the jewelers doesn't include weapons (tested with burrows and custom stockpiles next to the jeweler's shop). I believe (but have not tested) that the craftsdwarf's "decorate with xxx" jobs includes weapons and armor - it definitely includes ammo, as I get a lot of horn-decorated bone bolts if I don't micromanage my craftsdwarves.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:19 am »

I have unholy piles of reclaimed goblinite yet my bone decorators cancel with 'no decoratable object'.  I took a quick look and while some is decorated already and some is melt-designated...if weapons were bone decoratable they should have done so but wont.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:43:48 am »

I have unholy piles of reclaimed goblinite yet my bone decorators cancel with 'no decoratable object'.  I took a quick look and while some is decorated already and some is melt-designated...if weapons were bone decoratable they should have done so but wont.

Then I guess any bone-decorated weapons you see were probably brought by merchants and invaders, and were decorated outside the fort (much like stone-decorated items in previous versions).

Edit: In my .25 fort I can indeed confirm that my crossbows and warhammers were taken to the craftsdwarf's workshop and decorated with bone (as in this fort I put my workshop one floor below the barracks).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:47:35 pm by Langdon »