Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McWrestler and Urist McMarksman  (Read 401 times)

HAMsmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Urist McWrestler and Urist McMarksman
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:01:42 am »

How do you get a wrestler to pick up a melee weapon?  I have it set so they have individual choice melee now.

How do you get marksman to shoot at a range more?  I have a squad of 3 with 2 as the minimum to train.  I have ammo set up for training.  I have targets set up with the squad listed and marked "q" "t".  The marksman squad also has a barracks.  I have only seen them shoot once per target other than that they just stand around in the barracks.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
HAM

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McWrestler and Urist McMarksman
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:59:35 am »

1. Under military screen, equipment, highlight the wrestler in question, on the screen to the right, remove individ choice, type W to add a weapon of your choice. Unless you list a specific material, or a unique weapon in the stockpile, they will immediately go grab a weapon of that type.
2. The marksdwarve problem is easily solved, once you under stand the order Train. When you set them under Active schedule on alert screen, leave military screen, return, highlight that squad then type s to look at their schedule. To begin with, you will have only 2 schedules, Active, and Inactive.
 On the active schedule, every month has Train. This means that they will give demonstrations, spar,combat train, watch demonstrations. In your case, having two out of three, the third one with nothing to do, if it has bolts will do individual combat drills, for markstmen means weapon train(target practice). So now, all three are not getting much target practice in.
 Under either schedule, months that have no order,when any one does not have a job to do, will go target practice, as long as the bolts hold up.
 So, a good schedule for marksdwarves  under Active Schedule, on that yearly schedule is set 1 months order to Train, following two months no scheduled order. Repeat sequence for following months.
 Train order is still good. They can get dodging, shield work, miscellaneous object lessons.
When they run out of bolts, and you forget to produce them, least they will be training/individual combat in something. For bonus points, assign them a hammer when they get somewhat skilled in archery. They will train in hammer if no bolts are available. When they knock the poop out of a gobbo with the bow(BAD), least now they will be better skilled in it. You can always remove the hammer if you notice that they are practising with hammer, and not archery
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McWrestler and Urist McMarksman
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:36 pm »

In fact I tend to train my Marksdwarves with Hammers for a few months, then switch them over to Marksdwarfs.  That way they will have Hammer skill and you don't have to worry about them picking up the wrong weapon later if they have to fight.