Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biodiversity  (Read 1362 times)

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biodiversity
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:51:29 am »

Okay, so I embarked in a moist tropical broadleaf forest. Two years in, I've seen countless elephants and a few gibbons, but relatively few other creatures. This got me wondering.. does every biome of a particular type contain all creatures of a particular type, or is it like plants where only some creatures from the list are likely to appear in a particular biome?

I've heard something about being able to deplete the populations of particular animals. So if I were to engage in a wholesale slaughter of the elephants, would this ultimately reduce the proportion of elephants showing up in relation to other creatures, or would I just get less creatures overall?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Biodiversity
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:13:12 am »

In the current version, most creatures have a frequency number defined in the raws, which appears to control for each biome the chance that any of that creature will be found in that biome.  For example, a creature with a FREQUENCY:5 will have a 5% chance to appear in any biome which it is defined as appearing in by its raws.

Each biome gets a population for each creature created when you embark, as determined by the FREQUENCY and POPULATION tags for that creature in the raw files.  Spawns of creatures which appear on the map edge are drawn from this population, and return to it when they leave.  Some type of creatures can breed in the wild, but most can't, and if you kill off all members of a species in the local population you will never see any wild members of that species appear again.  It is quite possible to completely deplete your local wild animal population.

According to my population calculator script, Tropical moist broadleaf forest may have the following wild animals:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, there are a lot of different types of animal which may appear, but none are guaranteed to appear 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:18:30 am by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:27:19 am »

There's something with animal pop tracking that Toady has yet to do, as well. At point I believe he talked about animal groups moving on and off the fortress map according to some larger regional migrations. That led into all the pop tracking stuff that has been part of the caravan, and eventually, the army arc.

So I imagine in the future, if you're in a grassland that borders a desert, you might have groups of creatures from the desert biome migrating into your map.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:51 am »

Thanks guys. That's really helpful, though it's kind of sad I probably won't ever get a unit of war gorillas from that site. :(

Incidentally, does this mean it's currently highly advantageous (or disadvantageous, depending on the hostility of local wildlife) to embark on a map encompassing multiple biomes in order to get the maximum number of 'rolls' on the wildlife generator, or will that not make much of a difference?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:57:16 am »

If your embark site covers multiple biomes, you get all the populations of each of those biomes in your embark site.  So yes, if you want a larger population of wild animals, pick an embark site that contains as many biomes as possible.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:35 am »

Gorillas do appear in tropical moist broadleaf forests. Just not often, cause there's an assload of other creatures, and a good bit of them have only limited use for your fortress.

I tend to find more interesting creatures (and therefore embark in) in savage tropical shrublands, savage freshwater tropical swamps, savage tropical coniferous forests, and savage warm deserts.

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:36:16 am »

Thanks again,

Though I have to ask, does that include similar biomes next to each other (like how you often get multiple seemingly identical jungle biomes forming a single huge jungle) or does it only work if the biomes are different?

And Naryar. I'm in the process of generating a really savage high temperature world for that very reason. :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:52:01 am »

I am fairly certain that if you embark across two biomes of the same type, you still get the combined populations of both.  This was how I set up a sea serpent breeding fort a few versions back, I found an embark site that included two savage ocean biomes and was able to capture two sea serpents, which appear at most one per biome.

FYI, here's a complete per-biome wild animal population list in the current revision.  I'm fairly certain this is correct, but I may have made some mistakes figuring out how biome tags map to biomes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note - this list only includes non-vermin creatures that wander - that is, they can appear and disappear on the map edge.  It doesn't include creatures that may be permanent residents of your site, or vermin creatures of any kind.

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 12:20:06 pm »

Wow, that's an amazing resource. Thanks so much for wheeling that out.

Very interesting stats. I always figured giant eagles were too rare to bother trying to capture, but looking at those stats I'm tempted to try a savage mountain fort and try to breed some eagles.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »

I am fairly certain that if you embark across two biomes of the same type, you still get the combined populations of both.  This was how I set up a sea serpent breeding fort a few versions back, I found an embark site that included two savage ocean biomes and was able to capture two sea serpents, which appear at most one per biome.

Yup, each individual biome gets it's owm population.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 12:32:28 pm »

That list is really interesting. And it is consistent with my embarks - for instance I have tropical dry broadleaf forest and get elephants, peafowl, elephants, peafowl, elephant, peafowl... Other animals are occasionally present, but disappear quickly, and may appear several years later or never. Though just after embark I get random but associated animals which are not present on the list: in first embark I had hippos, who were slowly migrating away, in reclaim I had crocodiles, and so on.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:46:32 am »

Holy carp, THANK YOU for compiling all that information. The wiki is incomplete, and it is very frustrating when you want to get some specific animals for a WarCheetahExplosion project or something like that.