Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Election reform  (Read 3196 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Election reform
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 12:31:12 am »

I'm in favor of making ER laws actually do something and having ER as an actual issue, possibly tied to Corp HQ, CEO Castle, Court House (which should BTW hand over the gay laws to one of the upcoming religious sites). ER being something rather extreme at the C+ end would be nice, perhaps that random non-L+ representatives would occasionally convert to C+ as a result of bribery a change of heart. Having big effect for L+ seems a bit useless from the gameplay POV because that's what the term limit ELA is for (although I recently made a commit that allows disabling the ELAs). Maybe the term limits should be a natural consequence of L+ election laws? Also, don't liberals favor ranked list elections because they claim they represent the popular opinion more accurately (which is, from the LCS perspective, wholly true)? Maybe this "inaccuracy" would be a force that gives conservatives various bonuses in addition to a huge fortification bonus for entrenchment.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:18 pm »

In my most recent game, the first term Arch-Conservative President didn't run for a second term. Instead, the Conservatives ran a Moderate and the Liberals ran a Liberal. In Nightmare Mode. I've never seen that happen before now.

EDIT IDEA: New Elite Liberal Amendment: Reduce the Presidency to only having one term. New Arch-Conservative Amendment: Allow a President to run over and over and over with no limit.

Moderates in the first election happens quite regularly if you influence all the issues to 100% liberal by the time November runs around.

Term limits aren't really a liberal issue in American politics or any other political system that I'm aware of.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:28 am »

Weird presidential stuff that happens fairly often...

Start nightmare mode, spend the first years building an organization and raising funds instead of influencing the issues significantly -> Conservative president instead of Arch Conservative despite extremely C+ public opinion.

Start nightmare mode, influence issues fairly quickly, have a moderate president who is extremely unpopular, have him/her re-elected and then succeeded by another extremely unpopular moderate president...

By the way, since in LCS there hasn't been one yet, should there be some special message when the first racial minority president is elected? It would be mainly flavortext, but could carry some small bonus in racial issues.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 12:41:52 am »

Liberals have been race blind in LCS so far, I see no reason to change that now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 02:50:17 am »

By the way, since in LCS there hasn't been one yet, should there be some special message when the first racial minority president is elected? It would be mainly flavortext, but could carry some small bonus in racial issues.

I feel that since this has already happened in the real world, the noteworthiness of it for a player has been greatly diminished. Before Obama was elected, it was very striking whenever a movie or book or game depicted a black president. Now that impact is limited female presidents. :)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:27 pm »

Liberals have been race blind in LCS so far, I see no reason to change that now.

In real life, a certain first African American President was hailed as a Messiah by some liberals here in Europe as well. But I think the first female President would strike as more novel, indeed. And she would always be from the Liberal party, I assume, as Conservatives tend to favor males?

Hundreds watch with astonishment and curiosity as <name here>, the first woman elected the President of the United States, proclaims the beginning of a new era of gender equality. After several hours of insightful political speech, United States welcomes the new era of Gender Equality.

It is now up to the Liberal Crime Squad to ensure that the progress may continue.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 12:44:09 pm »

And she would always be from the Liberal party, I assume, as Conservatives tend to favor males?

If we're basing this off current American politics, then no actually. For 2012 the Republicans currently have two bat shit crazy ladies looking at the Presidency, and no females of note on the Democrat side have been making noises.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 02:23:06 pm »

But based on the LCS, if I recall correctly every C+ president is a "White male patriarch" (as they're called in the source) and as the Conservatives treat women as second-class citizens, I doubt their party would even have any female politicians apart from a few token women to ensure popularity even among the "lesser sex".

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:36 pm »

Oh, and

Reverse discrimination is race blindness?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 04:36:54 pm »

As I recall from Jonathan's tutorial videos, all of the Arch-Conservatives have white male names. At least in the Executive Branch, I recall differently for the Supreme Court.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 05:17:38 pm »

But based on the LCS, if I recall correctly every C+ president is a "White male patriarch" (as they're called in the source) and as the Conservatives treat women as second-class citizens, I doubt their party would even have any female politicians apart from a few token women to ensure popularity even among the "lesser sex".

...right, and I think LiteralKa raised the counterexample of Sarah Palin in the comments. Though it may be flavorworthy, I think it'd be more hilarious for the Conservative Party and Liberal Party to be both gender-blind and race-blind when nominating candidates.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 12:55:20 am »

Aside from C+ nominees, I don't think there's any limitation preventing the Conservatives from nominating a woman. There might be an alignment-based bias, so that only L+ is equally likely to be male or female, but you should occasionally see some female C politicians.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 02:43:27 am »

Well, because women's rights are opposed by the conservatives (even "Moderate" women's rights, the most Liberal Conservative party position, has women "nominally equal" only), I've always imagined every single female conservative public figure to be just their attempt to cater to the female population as well, while the actual big issues are handed to them by more skilled (=male) politicians. Ironically, it has some resemblance to affirmative action.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 03:38:28 am »

While Sarah Palin arguably fits that mold, it would only take one American version of Margaret Thatcher (former leader of the Conservative Party, appointed Prime Minister three times, survived an assassination attempt in 1984...) to overturn it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:42:54 am by Jonathan S. Fox »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 05:38:17 pm »

Why are male and female candidates equally likely at L+?  At L+, we don't stop at equality!  Women should be more likely!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5