Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does "Become Dwarf" do?  (Read 2934 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What does "Become Dwarf" do?
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:39 am »

I'm trying out the Adventurer mode for the first time, and the character creation screen has this Become Dwarf option (g).

I'm already a Dwarf. Pressing g changes the symbol near my race, but I can't find an explanation on what does it mean  :-\

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/becomedwarf.jpg/
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What does "Become Dwarf" do?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:44:14 am »

That changes the gender of your character.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:46:23 am »

You can also change castes with it.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:23 am »

Who would have thought...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »

That's the main reason why i use the default ASCII tiles. the ambiguity is there for a reason.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »

On the Lazy Newb Pack tileset, the symbol for male is a sack, or a bag.... ha.

And the symbol for female is the symbol for an amulet.... with a triangle pointing downwards, and two strings going either side.... which looks like..... well.... it.... looks like.... you know...
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:42:17 am »

And the symbol for female is the symbol for an amulet.... with a triangle pointing downwards, and two strings going either side.... which looks like..... well.... it.... looks like.... you know...
A fancy piece of jewelry?
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:38:16 pm »

A fancy piece of jewelry?

You know what? Good enough

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:21:52 pm »

And with the default tileset, they look like what they're supposed to!  Imagine that!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »

Actually, with the tileset I'm working with, the aforementioned amulet looks like the inner workings of a woman, displayed on many posters you see in hospitals or doctor's offices.

And with the default tileset, they look like what they're supposed to. And the colour contrast sends you mildly insane and blind as a bat.

Not that it's a bad thing. Most of the bad things in DF are actually good things, mind you >:3

LIKE THE CONSTANT LOSING.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:38:58 am »

You misspelled fun.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 04:13:27 am »

And with the default tileset, they look like what they're supposed to!  Imagine that!
But then bags and amulets look like mars and venus symbols. That's stupid.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:28 am »

Why? Everybody knows (or should know) that Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »

It's a text-game alpha.  Use your imagination.

They're making steps towards making all tile graphics replaceable anyway, so someday you might have separate bag and gender graphics.  Which I'm beginning to wonder if that's a bad thing.

I already have friends who supposedly play Dwarf Fortress that when I show them screenshots they're all "wtf is that".  Having played nothing but mayday mix they'll never understand my screenshots or, more importantly, the illustrations on the wiki, maps or movies on dfma, etc, etc, etc.  And it's only going to get worse.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 06:38:48 pm »

It's a text-game alpha.  Use your imagination.

They're making steps towards making all tile graphics replaceable anyway, so someday you might have separate bag and gender graphics.  Which I'm beginning to wonder if that's a bad thing.

I already have friends who supposedly play Dwarf Fortress that when I show them screenshots they're all "wtf is that".  Having played nothing but mayday mix they'll never understand my screenshots or, more importantly, the illustrations on the wiki, maps or movies on dfma, etc, etc, etc.  And it's only going to get worse.

First of all, I believe he was joking

Second of all, god Armok forgive they have actual graphics instead of an & to symbolise the most terrifying being in all the fantasy settings in the world. Enough ASCII to make a game is not enough ASCII.

Ambersands are actually pretty terrifying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2