Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Traits  (Read 1261 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Traits
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:48:57 am »

Is it clear if animal traits do anything/carry on to their children?

I've just recently captured and tamed a female cave crocodile, she has just started to nest on 38 eggs, she is described as "enormous yet very weak", I'm sure its children will rip anything apart, but I'd still like to breed strong crocodiles.

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Traits
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:08:11 am »

Someone tested it with cattle, and it worked.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:09:17 am »

From what I have read, the general agreement by !!SCIENTISTS!! seems to be that yes, genes are in place. But it's hard to tell because of the spore-sexing that all the animals manage to engage in. Not sure where the thread is, but it was fairly recent. If I find it again I'll link it.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:11 am »

For egg bearing beasties, my usual setup is composed of :

- One alpha male with the best traits possible pastured in a safe room
- 5-6 of the best females pastured in a lockable room with one nest per beast (the same room as for the male is convenient)
- All other females used for whatever task you need
- All other males ruthlessly butchered as soon as possible...

If you need to refresh the population, just lock the door and wait until the eggs have hatched. Then, sort the hatchling (bad males -> butchery asap. one or two good males -> Caged as a replacement of the current alpha, females -> caged until they mature)

I only have gigantic and muscular turkeys those days... Time to try the same with GCS (modded to be able to lay 2-4 eggs)

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:height]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:42:32 am »

Oh good lord I just had a terrible vision of Pokemon-tier breeding for stats. As if people don't cull useless dwarves enough, then there's the additional reward of breeding herculean freak babies.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:46 am »

Oh good lord I just had a terrible vision of Pokemon-tier breeding for stats. As if people don't cull useless dwarves enough, then there's the additional reward of breeding herculean freak babies.
This is Urist McPeasant. He is superdwarvenly strong and agile. He is superdwarvenly tough. His wounds heal superdwarvenly fast. He is never sick.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:12:29 am »

This is Urist McPeasant. He is superdwarvenly strong and agile. He is superdwarvenly tough. His wounds heal superdwarvenly fast. He is never sick.

Strenght etc. is increased by wearing armor, working pumps and stuff...
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »

And starting a new world to do this exact experiment.

For !!SCIENCE!!
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »

Urist McEugenicist has been culling the weak lately.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:55 pm »

I haven't played Dwarf Mode in a while but when I did I was planing on having all of the 'fit' dwaves living in a luxurious above ground castle while the runts had to toil in a crappy lower fort.  A system of dumping food/drink kept the upper dwarves well supplied and happy.  Sometime (I imagined) that there would be terrible tantrum spirals in the lower areas but this would be just fine: the upper dwarves never meet the weaker ones (All migrants are separated immediately)

Eh... just an idea I had once... long ago...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 02:34:44 pm »

Strenght etc. is increased by wearing armor, working pumps and stuff...
I know that. But animals and dwarves are born with a level of each trait.