Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Baron's Meals  (Read 1293 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: The Baron's Meals
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »

you shouldnt get critters coming through fortifications...but it does happen sometimes.  Weird little Df water pressure effect, very large animals can actually be pushed through

Yep, that's what happens. I don't want to spend the time/possible coffins on a waterworks feed into my well cisterns, so I just carve fortifications into a gravity feed, depressurize an outlet for the well mini-cistern, carve drainage off the map, install floodgates and go. The whole system could be made safer with a grated, half-reactor fed screw pump that gets walled in, but that's not much Fun now is it?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 03:33:09 pm »

So the problem is making sure items in a stockpile belong to a specific dwarf....

I might say something very stupid now so brace yourself!

Would it work if you built the stockpile inside a room belonging to that dwarf? I swear I've seen something similar with a dwarf claiming ownership of a chest that was meant to store items (this was in my hospital ifrc). Only I don't know if he actually owned the items inside the chest.

Either way, if dwarves recognize that room as someone's private space, would they go ahead and waltz inside thus stealing the food, or will they steer clear of the owned space recognizing it as not theirs?

I'm sure the answer is out there but I couldn't find it. If it works it might be an elegant solution to the OP's problem.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

No wait I guess that won't work, as it would mean any item once stored there cannot be removed except by the dwarf owning the place.

Hm I guess personal stockpiles you can designate a dwarf as owner to would be a nice feature. Or sotckpiles dedicated to a workshop.

McDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43:32 am »

Hi all,

I just wanted to update! The designs suggested for harnessing the volcano and building my forge/smelter/kiln worked beautifully. My dwarves are now settling in caverns many, many, many Z-levels deep. The mushroomy cavern floor is providing plenty of opportunity to farm and keep livestock. No freezing atop a woodless glacier for them!
Pages: 1 [2]