Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting my dwarves to marry?  (Read 2772 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting my dwarves to marry?
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:56:13 pm »

I'm trying to make a fortress populated only by my first seven dwarves and their descendants. How do I get my dwarves to fall in love and marry? I need them to make offsprings so that I can have more workers! Should I give them lots of free time so they can talk and have parties?

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting my dwarves to marry?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »

I'm doing this for my latest fortress(only a year in). 

You can't make them marry:  some dwarves just won't hook up with the next person they see.  But giving them free time is a good idea and will make relationships more likely to start.

Also, you will still get two immigrant waves no matter what(unless of course you plan on killing them off, I'm incorporating them into my story so I've ended up with a 'starting' group of 14 adults and a child with one marriage already active). 

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:02 pm »

You can't make them marry:  some dwarves just won't hook up with the next person they see.  But giving them free time is a good idea and will make relationships more likely to start.

Also, you will still get two immigrant waves no matter what(unless of course you plan on killing them off, I'm incorporating them into my story so I've ended up with a 'starting' group of 14 adults and a child with one marriage already active).

How long does it take two dwarves in a relationship to marry? I have dwarves that have been dating for a long time but they won't marry.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:42 pm »

IIRC, it appears that dwarves will only hook up with dwarves of the opposite sex who they have compatible personalities with and who have the same religion as them. What "compatible personalities" actually means is hard to say; it's possible that they have to have values in at least some of the personality traits that are reasonably close to one another. However, dwarves who interact often can in fact alter one another's religious views and change which god or gods they worship, so that part just slows down marriages between dwarves who follow different parts of the pantheon.

Regardless, the proper method to get as many marriages as possible is simple: have your dwarves socialize constantly. Since you've got 7 dwarves, you might want to make sure you've got 3 males and 3 females, then have the last odd dwarf out actually provide essentials while the other 6 do nothing but stand in a 1x1 meeting area.

How long does it take two dwarves in a relationship to marry? I have dwarves that have been dating for a long time but they won't marry.
It depends on how long it takes one of the dwarves to convince the other to adopt their god or gods.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:42:06 pm »

I love playing like this, because it gives the dwarves more personality. I give them all nicknames and their own special room. My expedition leader Stalina fell in love with Mister Longdong: their kids will have asian or russian names. Longdong has a fondness for gold, so I'm filling their future room with gold stuff: Gold is so appropriate for a noble couple! Meanwhile, Shaniqua the planter is still single. When she gets married and has kids, I'll name her kids things like "Lil shortay" and "Jaykwon" and "Angeleequa".

fun fact: Stalina is covered in massive amounts of muscle and lard, according to her description. Very sexy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:48:01 pm by kawaiidesunekochan »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:51:54 pm »

fun fact: Stalina is covered in massive amounts of muscle and lard, according to her description. Very sexy.
damn straight, good insulation/blunt protection.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?