Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shelteredship (Roman Empire Community fort)  (Read 2138 times)

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shelteredship (Roman Empire Community fort)
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:38 pm »

This shall be the tale about a group of dwarves belonging to a once great dwarf empire, who when returning to the mainland after a long expedition across the ample seas find the continent on chaos, and become themselves orphans of empire, provisionally establishing themselves besides a river crossing a great plain, in a place that would be known as Shelteredship. It is the year 250 after the foundation of the Empire.

These are the rules for this fort.

First of all, on creation:

* The beginner 7 will consist in 5 legionnaries, 1 decurion and one scribe/scholar.
* The standard imperial foot soldier equipment is an iron plate armor, iron shield, and either an iron short sword or iron spear. Auxiliars and archer troops will have either iron mail shirt or leather armor, and either short swords, spears or crossbows depending its role. You can choose to begin with, without or with only a part of your equipment, reason being you lost it or traded it for other items to get to this site. Though the main reason is there's not enough embark points for everything...
* For the same reason, the soldiers' initial skills should be mostly military in nature, and specialized in army-issued classes of weapons, though some knowledge about other weapons or civilian skills is acceptable.
* The decurion will be the acting leader as well, and should choose the skills accordingly.

For the rest of the story, this rules will be observed.

* As a refined dwarf civilization, imperial citizens and soldiers may have extensive knowledge about working underground, but find distasteful to live inside the earth, preferring the more "civilized" ways of aboveground towns and camps.
* Steel is initially unknown to the fort, and we will be unable to create it until either a steel object is found and observed enough, or else a knowledgeable foreign smith teaches us. Blue cotton is known but very scarce for obvious reasons - even trained legionnaries don't stand much of a chance against the legends that guard that metal.
* Any newcomers that want to join the fortress will have to be either drafted or assigned exclusively to auxiliar roles for the military squads, at least for a whole year or until they do enough merits. Then they will be considered "free" citizens, being able to choose either to stay in the military or to pursue other careers.
* As the last bastion of true civilization, all military personnel will try to be structured and equipped following the old Imperial schemes. This may or may not be plausible initially. If a ragtag squad must be formed with non-standard weapons it will be considered an irregular militia and not real imperial soldiery.

The starting dwarfs are these below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bowie, legionnaire

Sarvesh, decurion

Nanomage, the scribe

Ahra, legionnaire

Girbim, legionnaire

JacenHan, legionnaire
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:47:45 pm by Lafiel »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Shelteredship (Roman Empire Community fort)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »

Imageshack can display them, but you need the direct image link, and you need to put img tags around it.

EDIT: Nevermind, Imageshack has become quite a hater. You cans till do it on Imageshack, but it's annoying as hell that you need an account, or you have to open the link and get the direct url yourself.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, the code's right there, so it's not that much of a hater thing. You don't need an account.

It's the "Forum Code" link you're looking for. You just need the portion with the img tags around it, you don't need the hyperlink stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:50:02 am by Patchouli »

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

I did use the tags at first but the link may be the wrong one. Will check.

Edit: Changed host, now works perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:22:14 pm by Lafiel »

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:41:24 am »

I am so in!
could I please have Melbil? Rename him Bowie and outfit him as a legionnaire with a sword, shield and plate.
skill him with proficient sword-dwarf and proficient mason

PS if you go into "design new world with advanced parameters" you can change the amount of embark points  ;)
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:16:57 am »

Looks fun. Ustuth looks good for Girbim.

She's skilled with sword and shield, and picked up some carpentry after building up so many castra .
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:33:42 am »

mebzuth please  :)
skilled with spear and shield, and picked up some smithing (your choice if its armour metal or weapon) from repairing the legions tools.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 05:03:38 am »

Done, and done. When we get the starting 7 I'll embark.

PS if you go into "design new world with advanced parameters" you can change the amount of embark points  ;)

Well, damn :P I guess I should have to recreate the whole world then? Any way to "add" some objects after the game has begun? Even if it's cheating and all, it's for a good cause.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:11:12 am »

Done, and done. When we get the starting 7 I'll embark.

Well, damn :P I guess I should have to recreate the whole world then? Any way to "add" some objects after the game has begun? Even if it's cheating and all, it's for a good cause.

I can think of adding a reaction to create all needed iron equipment for free. you should add it to the reactions.txt and then add access to it to your civ in entity.default.txt. after embark just run the reaction once and mod it back out. It can even fit the setting if refered to as "Unpacking equipment".

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:05 am »

Sounds good. I'll try to do that then.

4 slots still remaining, 2 more legionnaries, 1 decurion and the scribe are up for grabs.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:31 am »

Sounds good. I'll try to do that then.

4 slots still remaining, 2 more legionnaries, 1 decurion and the scribe are up for grabs.
May i be the scribe please? He's got to have some skill in record keeping, appraisal and a bit in organizing i think. Maybe a level or two in clothesmaking, leather, or bone working.
and it would be great if he's weak, flimsy, has poor vision and fears everything.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:46:03 am »

The most similar dwarf to that is Mafol, I think. And now that I look at it, seems it will be a mostly female squad. If anyone absolutely has to have a male dwarf we can ignore the "fe" for interpretation purposes. It will be funny to explain when said dwarf suddenly has a baby afterwards  :P

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:48:51 am »

The most similar dwarf to that is Mafol, I think. And now that I look at it, seems it will be a mostly female squad. If anyone absolutely has to have a male dwarf we can ignore the "fe" for interpretation purposes. It will be funny to explain when said dwarf suddenly has a baby afterwards  :P

Yeah she's great and i'm completely ok with her being female. though she'd better have cooking and soapmaking instead of leather or bone working then.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 12:09:38 pm »

Hmm.. if only there were any males left..
I can always be dorfed a migrant.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 12:12:20 pm »

As I said, we can do rule 63 for interpretation purposes. Keep in mind that any migrants arriving after foundation will have very different roles than the starting 7.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 12:14:14 pm »

Well if (s)he ever gets married... then it will just be.. weird..
I'd rather be a migrant instead.  :P
Pages: [1] 2