Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cavecroc-a-splosion  (Read 4973 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Cavecroc-a-splosion
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 05:08:09 pm »

You can't train cave crocodiles for war/hunting. They'll still attack goblins if tamed, though, I take it?
I modded mine.
Just did so here.
Speaking of which, are there any other deadly creatures I should be aware of that aren't trainable for war, but are convenient enough war beasts to mod as trainable? I was thinking GCS, maybe, but they're too rare. I'd prefer a silk farm.
Helmet snakes.

Imagine the look on their deformed faces when they see hundreds of helmet snakes slithering to them!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

Giant Desert Scorpions. Greatest war animal ever.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

I believe so. Similarly, replacing [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET] does work.
It works, but you have to start a new world gen. I started playing after a few months away and only AFTER starting a fortress did I check to see if Dungeonmasters were working yet. They aren't, so I modded all my animals with the Pet_Exotic tag. It didn't work for the fortress I already established so I had to make a new one.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 08:00:17 pm »

It works, but you have to start a new world gen. I started playing after a few months away and only AFTER starting a fortress did I check to see if Dungeonmasters were working yet. They aren't, so I modded all my animals with the Pet_Exotic tag. It didn't work for the fortress I already established so I had to make a new one.

The trick is to mod the raws in your save folder. Not jst the normal raws.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 08:07:37 pm »

You can't train cave crocodiles for war/hunting. They'll still attack goblins if tamed, though, I take it?
I modded mine.
Just did so here.
Speaking of which, are there any other deadly creatures I should be aware of that aren't trainable for war, but are convenient enough war beasts to mod as trainable? I was thinking GCS, maybe, but they're too rare. I'd prefer a silk farm.
Helmet snakes.

Imagine the look on their deformed faces when they see hundreds of helmet snakes slithering to them!
Enough is enough! I'm sick of these motherfucking snakes in this motherfucking fortress!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »

Some don't apply even if you do that. If I recall correctly, entities that already spawned onto the map will have the properties that their raws had when they spawned no matter what.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:31:53 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:38 am »

Well there is a bug with the PET_EXOTIC tag the makes it so that PET_EXOTIC creatures can't be trained even if they have the TRAINABLE tag. But if you change PET_EXOTIC to PET every thing works just fine.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a philosopher! No, it's a raptor! No, i-AAGGH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 12:20:36 am »

It's like a goblin torture device. Let the snakes bite them and then wait... and wait... and wait.... then profit.
Softer than a baby dwarf's beard.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 03:26:07 am »

Some don't apply even if you do that. If I recall correctly, entities that already spawned onto the map will have the properties that their raws had when they spawned no matter what.
You recall incorrectly. I have had great successes modding existing creatures by changing the raws in the save folder. .25.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 03:31:55 am »

There are a good number of cavern critters worth weaponizing if thats your thing.

Cave crocs obviously.  For others you need to look no further than what you would least like to see invading goblins riding.

Jabberer, rutherer, giant cave crawler.  Yer looking for the critters with large body size, those are the ones that when they engage rip off armored limbs when they shake things around with their teeth.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 03:51:46 am »

jabberers are great, weighing 4.5 tons and tending to rip their foes apart with their beaks. 4x products are nice too. Rutherers are large, but thy tend to flee from enemies if untrained.
As for giant arthropods, i think they are all too small to perform effectively against armoured gobs, although NOFEAR and NOPAIN might help here.

Finally, you have to remember that even 4.5ton jabberers will die quickly against gobs without any use when outnumbered or when facing archers. Any war animals should only be used in overwhelming zerg-like numbers and with support from regular military, otherwise they'll just all die inflicting little to no damage.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 03:53:48 am »

GCS silk farms are generaly good if you can get ahold of a wild breeding pair of crundles.
ie: tie the crundles up to the side of a room with a retractable bridge floor, when the babys are born and move over the foor, -scared by tame dogs on otherside of fortifications- retract floor/drawbridge and they fall into GCS pit wich procede to spew webs and kill them, providing meat and bones as well.

anyhoots, running df now, lets see how this siege turns out.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 04:04:46 am »

Is that so? Thanks for the advice! Well, off I go to make war bonobos!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 04:17:05 am »

You recall incorrectly. I have had great successes modding existing creatures by changing the raws in the save folder. .25.

What have you changed? If you want to add Natural Skill for example (in. 25) you need to spawn new creature. Old creatures don't get the new skill.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 04:31:47 am »

What have you changed? If you want to add Natural Skill for example (in. 25) you need to spawn new creature. Old creatures don't get the new skill.
I can confirm that adding/changing/changing [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags has effect on existing creatures in existing worlds. I had tamed and trained GDS's and giant badgers that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4