Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is goblin hostility so random?  (Read 1225 times)

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is goblin hostility so random?
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »

In my current game I've got over 15 million dorf bucks and yet I can still go a year or two between goblin ambushes, much less a siege (though I have had one, very small one of just one squad of bowmen). Their law-giver and so on are still alive.

In previous games I've been decimated by huge sieges of mounted goblins before I could even get my military really going and well before I had hit any candy... is there some reason its so random? I hate my current nearly peaceful game but I've sunk so much time into building up my fort =(

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Why is goblin hostility so random?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:09 pm »

Distance to the nearest dark tower? If it's half a world away they won't be motivated to trudge to you just to get cut down.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »

Good question...my fort is at 20 million right now, but sieges and ambushes seem to be getting extremely volatile.  The sieges are either very weak or brutal (something like 40 hammergoblins and 40 crossbowgoblins, along with numerous trolls and miscellaneous goblins) or weak, no more than maybe 40 troops in total.  The ambushes always come en masse with tons of snatchers causing trouble; they're not a big deal unless they end up killing a beekeeper or child.

Note that I killed their general at least a decade ago so there seems to be no correlation.  Distance might be an issue.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:16:40 pm »

I didn't know about the distance... how can you tell how far away you are from a goblin tower when embarking?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »

If you look at the civs screen before you embark, it sorts the names of civilizations based on their distance from you. You could make a copy of your fort, abandon it, and then check distance on that one.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:17:58 pm »

It is distance. Normally I embark in obscure areas because I like hard embarks like glaciers and deserts. However, this time I wanted to play at being a bandit fort so I embarked on a world gen bridge over a major river. I also wanted kobolds alive so I beefed them up to goblin level.

The result is that my embark is right smack in the middle of a human, elf, goblin, and kobold civ. In legends mod all 4 of those civs are huge and powerful and they converge right there.

Needless to say I get sieges, ambushes, and 2 dozen thieves each season easily. I spend more time defending my fort than managing it. Traps are not enough for the sheer volume of enemies so a little under half of my fortress is military personal who are on patrol 24/7. 40 strong military each member with 100 kills minimum and my commander and captains (who were in the first squad) at 300 kills minimum.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:13 pm »

What are the best world gen settings to ensure a powerful gob civ? For that matter how can you tell if a civ is powerful?? That sounds like the kind of game i want to be playing...

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

What are the best world gen settings to ensure a powerful gob civ? For that matter how can you tell if a civ is powerful?? That sounds like the kind of game i want to be playing...
I don't think you can, except maybe check the civ maps in legends mode. Bigger influence sphere = more power, I'd guess. More civs means more chances for a powerful civ to form, but I don't know of any way to influence individual races' development.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:22 pm »

Making their babbies mature faster is a good way to make a civ strong, as well as increasing their litter size. Gobsplosion!
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:33 am »

To see if they are powerful you check the map, if the civ influences a bigger area its more powerful. If you are really anal you can check legends to see how many individuals are in each civ but that isn't needed.

What you can do to ensure stronger civs in general is turn down the savagery. That is what I did because I gened the world specifically to embark on a worldgen bridge over a major river so I made the world with max rivers and savagery down to increase the likelihood of having such an event. The result was a world with alot of rivers and alot of empires.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 08:29:19 am »

MY current map doesn't list golbins in the civilisations screen, i guess they all died out....

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:37:32 am »

MY current map doesn't list golbins in the civilisations screen, i guess they all died out....

My current map DOES list humans, and I am on their influence area, yet I get only goblins, dwarves and elves. So even listed civs don't guarantee anything, unfortunately.