Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My awesome infinite repeater v3.0  (Read 1768 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
My awesome infinite repeater v3.0
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:49:05 pm »

After 6 hours of wasted time, I've finally gotten an infinite oscillator that runs on nothing but water and pumps to work!
Z1:

Z2:

In case it isn't clear (and I know it isn't), here a scheme and an explanation:
Z0:
Code: [Select]
######
#^####
######
######
####_#
######
Z1:
######
#.%%X#
######
######
#+%%.#
######
Z2:
______
_._*._
_%=*%_
_%_|%_
_._*._
______
X = floodgate
+ = drawbridge (not retracting one!)
|,= = axles
# = wall
_ = floor
. = open space
% = pump (general direction is clockwise)
* = gear assemblies
^ = pressure plate connected to the floodgate and the bridge and whatever the oscillator needs to power
Initially, water is placed on the pressure plate on Z0, then the power is connected. Floodgate on Z1 opens and the bridge raises, pumps on Z1 pump water into the tile behind the opened floodgate, where it is sucked up by pumps on Z2 and dumped back onto Z0. The water isn't pumped until 100 steps pass and the bridge lowers, after which it is pumped back onto the pressure plate. The whole process repeats. I'm planning to use this to control a bridge that will be repeatedly raised and lowered to crush enemies, since this oscillator provides the needed 100-step delay. Hope this helps someone! ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:16:28 am by Dariush »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: My awesome infinite oscillator
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:59:09 pm »

Can it be modular? Say, putting another pressure plate and floodgate set might allow you to delay for 200?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:50 pm »

Yes, if you connect only one plate out of two to the needed object, and by extending the design to the left and right (putting more pumps on the Z1) it can be extended even farther than that (if you are willing to ignore the veeeery small delay introduced by water moving through pumps).

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:29 pm »

I like! This ones going in the scrapbook :D

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:05 am »

Uh... a bit more testing revealed that the channels on Z2 must be walled around or the water spills. I'll edit the design in first post.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 02:34:43 am »

So what we have here is a method to make a repeater that's effective and independent of Dwarven actions after its been activated, correct?
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My awesome infinite repeater
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:04:43 am »

First, doesn't this system lose water with time?

Second, do you need to connect the target device to just one or both pressure plates to achieve a 100-tick delay?
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My awesome infinite repeater
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 06:11:06 am »

Well, a bit more testing and several more hours later I discovered that the current design pretty much sucks. No, it doesn't lose water, but once both floodgates are open they never close since water never leaves pressure plates for 100 steps. To get 100-step delay you have to connect both plates, but since I'm remaking this, that's pretty much irrelevant. Wait for updates in first post.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My awesome infinite repeater v3.0
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 06:18:52 am »

All right, new version completed around 100 loops and continues working perfectly. The only slight drawback is that the use of drawbridge makes FPS cry in anguish, but I can't see any alternative.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:11 am »

Why not just build a classic mini-repeater? Two pumps and two pressure plates, nothing else, each plate sends ON and OFF signals intermittently every 100 ticks.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 08:58:40 am »

The pumps will suck up the water before it had the chance to trigger the plates, and even if the plates were somehow triggered, the water will never stay off them for 100 steps.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:34:24 am »

What does it matter if water does not stay somewhere for 100 steps? What is important is that pressure plates send a signal every 100 steps.

And if your pumps are sucking water before pressure plates have a chance to trigger, this simply means you've made a mistake somewhere. :-)

This is how mini-repeater looks from the side. Pressure plate A is connected to a gear feeding power to pump A, and pressure plate B is connected to a gear feeding power to pump B.

This repeater schematic works flawlessly and requires the absolute minimum of work and power (it can actually be fed with a single windmill at 40 wind or by two windmills at 20 wind).

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 10:19:47 am »

The whole cycle on your schematic will be completed practically instantly (maybe a couple of steps to account for water moving), while my goal was to introduce 100-step delay in the loop, and that was the hardest part.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »

Absolutely wrong. This repeater is working with the frequency of pressure plate recovery, which is exactly 100 steps.

Really, man, this design and it's many variants have been in extensive use since 40d days.

Just visit the Wiki and check everything for yourself. :-)

Actually I found the wiki link describing 2-step repeater.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:17:15 pm by Lav »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:23:03 pm »

Holy shit. I didn't know that pressure plates don't recover instantly.  :'(
Pages: [1] 2