Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You like poultry. You like eggs. You hate micromanagement.  (Read 3709 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You like poultry. You like eggs. You hate micromanagement.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 05:00:47 pm »

I haven't tried this yet, but can't you disable cooking eggs in the Z-screen and make sure no food stockpiles accept eggs?
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:32 pm »

I haven't tried this yet, but can't you disable cooking eggs in the Z-screen and make sure no food stockpiles accept eggs?

Yes, but that involves more micromanagement than simply locking a door.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 06:16:20 am »

You like poultry, you like eggs; you build a few nest boxes and wait until you have shitloads of eggs. I did absolutely nothing about it and easily got 80 chicken and five duck eggs. :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 09:54:21 am »

Not if there is only one egg stockpile in the entire fort. You don't even need to disable egg cooking - just make sure the cooks have a lot more other material to cook with closer to the kitchens than the nest boxes. The egg pile can be closer to the kitchen of course.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:10 am »

Not if there is only one egg stockpile in the entire fort. You don't even need to disable egg cooking - just make sure the cooks have a lot more other material to cook with closer to the kitchens than the nest boxes. The egg pile can be closer to the kitchen of course.
That may not help. My food stockpile accepting eggs also takes meat, fish and cheese. It is 15 tiles big and set to take from a meat-fish-cheese mega-pile, and so is full of yummy food stuff. The single one egg large pot is filled with over 7000 turkey eggs (no, not over 9000, but it once was).

I've never had hatching poults except when locking access to the nests or forbidding the eggs in the nests.

I'm using version .31.25. According to the bugtracker, the unlimited-storage pots were fixed since .31.22.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 11:30:02 am »

Yeah, in my forts in current version all eggs are stored in the same pot (which is probably a bug and may be limited to pots and eggs only) so if eggs happen to be stored in such a quantum pot they are always in one storage.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 12:37:18 pm »

Yeah, in my forts in current version all eggs are stored in the same pot (which is probably a bug and may be limited to pots and eggs only) so if eggs happen to be stored in such a quantum pot they are always in one storage.

I think of it as "pot space".  all your pots are sharing their small percentages of unused space, but only one pot acts as the mouth.  It works on the same prinicples of quantum mechanics that that mechanisms do.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »

I think of it as "pot space".  all your pots are sharing their small percentages of unused space, but only one pot acts as the mouth.  It works on the same prinicples of quantum mechanics that that mechanisms do.

Yep. One pot to rule them all, one pot to find them, one pot to bring them all and in the masterful omelet bind them. That's one of these minor bugs which are quite convenient and I don't mind them.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 04:21:41 am »

But isn't that dangerous?  You know what they say, "Don't keep all your eggs in one quantum pot".
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »

One pot to rule them all, one pot to find them, one pot to bring them all and in the masterful omelet bind them.
:D
Pages: 1 [2]