Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need to till soil  (Read 376 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Need to till soil
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:06:27 pm »

I'm having trouble placing outdoor farm plots because the ground is broken up by pebbles and other objects. Has anyone come up with a reliable way to turn a whole area into plantable soil?

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Need to till soil
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:13:26 pm »

Flood it with water (buckets and pond zones can work too).

Or you could channel out some dirt.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »

wall up future farm area

add a * floor size basin right next to it
with the * being: ("future farm floor tiles" / 7) + 1 = basin size needed (always round up)

so the total of the basin + the future farm is always a little lower then the basin itself * 7

make a door in between the basin and the future farm zone with a lever attached to it for remote access (outside the farm area or basin!)

fill up the basin from the top with water (ramp against wall?) and when full pull the lever

let dry

deconstruct all walls, place floortiles on wherever the basin was to clean up that mud

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »

Another way is to dig down 1 Z level into the layer of soil below. This only works if you have another soil layer below the top soil, but doing so means you will not have any rocks in the way without needing to bother with water.