Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: militia removing their equipment when going back to work  (Read 574 times)

Atulab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
militia removing their equipment when going back to work
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:41:03 am »

Hello everyone,

I'm running a new game with the FD mod (wanted to punch some faces with my dwarves)
So, in my starting 7 dwarves, I have 2 sworddwarves and they also are my minners

my probleme is that they remove all of their equipment when they go back to mining after an alert, which means they have to put it back on every time I need them (which takes precious time)
I gave them a standard leather armor pack, with swords, and they are supposed to put it over-clothing (equipment window) and to keep uniform during civilian activities (schedule window)

the big question is: why ?

thank you !

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: militia removing their equipment when going back to work
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:58:22 am »

They need to stay as active members of the military. You can't have they as off-duty civilians or dismiss them from their squads. The best way to do this is to have them at least on alert for training but not assign them a barracks to train at.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:59:27 am »

Because the mining labour, along with wood cutting and hunting, includes a uniform. The mining uniform is simply a pick. So when your miners go inactive their mining labour is switched on and they will put on their new uniform.

Also, why are they swordwarves rather than using picks as their weapon? They'll very quickly train up as miners and their mining skill counts as the pick use skill.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:40 am »

They'll very quickly train up as miners and their mining skill counts as the pick use skill.
  Which can be hilarious. What's that swordsgoblin? You missed your swing and now there's a pickaxe in your bladder? I'd see a doctor about that if I were you. Then again, if I were you I'd see a doctor about euthanasia-possibilities.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:42:23 am »

my probleme is that they remove all of their equipment when they go back to mining after an alert
It's because they're miners.  Miners and woodcutters have their own "hidden" uniforms that're incompatible with the military ones.

My usual military of cheesemakers, weavers, and wood burners walks around with full bronze plate+battleaxe 24/7.  But when I first conscripted them they dumped a ton of clothing outside.  Which they insist on picking up piece by piece.  So wait until migrants are inside before making them part of the horde!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:44:32 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:18 am »

early on i have squads of miners and woodcutters as pick-dwarves and axe dwarves respectfully, having them train that weapon as military and then later on changing to a dedicated military force is also good for emergency conscripting and animal defence squads (woodcutters will kill those annoying "interrupted by" animals, and if drafted they have a skill they can use)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:28 am »

early on i have squads of miners and woodcutters as pick-dwarves and axe dwarves respectfully, having them train that weapon as military and then later on changing to a dedicated military force is also good for emergency conscripting and animal defence squads (woodcutters will kill those annoying "interrupted by" animals, and if drafted they have a skill they can use)

But how does that help with axedwarves? They don't train axe skill when woodcutting. Does woodcutting count in real fight?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:10 am »

But how does that help with axedwarves? They don't train axe skill when woodcutting. Does woodcutting count in real fight?
Making absolutely everyone a woodcutter or miner means that when Urist McStupid wanders outside to pick up his long lost xxtroll hair sockxx, he's at least carrying a weapon while doing so.  Woodcuters don't train but it's better than nothing;  I've seen a woodcutter actually win once in a while.  Cutting wood, if there's any woodcutting to be done, may make them stronger too.

Another way to do it is make everyone hunters.

You could also build a danger room in your meeting area to make everyone better at dodging.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:48:16 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:51:46 am »

Making absolutely everyone a woodcutter or miner means that when Urist McStupid wanders outside to pick up his long lost xxtroll hair sockxx, he's at least carrying a weapon while doing so.  They don't train but it's better than nothing;  I've seen a woodcutter actually win once in a while.  Cutting wood, if there's any woodcutting to be done, may make them stronger too.

Another way to do it is make everyone hunters.

Ah, in that way. But many dwarves are cowards. Maybe they can hack on that goblin when cornered, still I think it would be better for them to RUN. (But not in that direction!)

Anyway, I use military options to make some of more precious dwarves wear clothes and light armor, and unfortunately it doesn't work with said woodcutters, miners and hunters (hunters suck by the way). So after a while these guys would be trying to hack and slash goblins while completely naked. They may cut a goblin or two and buy some time for nobles and children to escape, but they will be susceptible to even small scratches. I don't have so many dwarves to spare. But it may work for someone.