Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: After siege clean up...  (Read 1607 times)

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
After siege clean up...
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:25 am »

Hello again all.

Question time. I'm having little issue now slaughtering most sieges and keeping my dwarves alive, except when the enemy uses whips, but thats a different story. Now comes my dilemma. Cleaning up after a siege. The body parts, the socks, the items. They are spread everywhere. Well not everywhere, but all along my entrance corridor. This got me thinking about a cleanage system and item gathering .. just wondering if anyone has done some thing like this before / if it would work. Space is limited where I want to install it, so !!Science!! is last resort currently.

Basic Idea
z0
-------------------------------------------
   B H                                                    w
-------------------------------------------

z-1
------
 #   B
--D---
B= bridge
H = Hatch
- = wall
# = grate
w = water hatch from the ceiling

Basic idea is that I would close of the entrance with a bridge at both ends. Then open a hatch at the end of the corridor closest to 'main' fort, washing the water down towards the hatch at the 'gate'. Both hatches linked to open together. This would then hopefully wash everything down into the next zlvl, where I have a 3x1 square area, Bridge -> 1 empty, another a grate. The grate linked to drain all the water out safely somewhere (ie edge of map).

Questions:
Would this flush all the items down into the lower zlvl?

Would the bridge (which is there to atomsmash the stuff I don't want, without hauling it) destroy the grate or not?

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: After siege clean up...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:41:38 am »

I don't think you can construct a bridge on a grate. Perhaps a fortification would work though. I built a similar thing to this but with magma instead of water. Magma destroys most things itself, which prevents heavy corpses from jamming my bridges.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:24 am »

hmm magma is doable. just have to redo my bridges in magma safe materials. Main reason why I was going with water =)

Anyway. Decided to !!Science!! it up and see if it works. I think I'll go with magma then I don't have to worry about mud.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:33 am »

Magma corridors clean up nicely.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:40:32 am »

I've ended up with an inverted pyramid over my roof hatch to drop the magma down... somehow it collapsed and killed 2 miners but nothing actually broke off anywhere.

How often do you end up re digging out the corridors if you fill with magma? Hoping the drain will clear most of it and 1/7 clears by itself, just magma moves so damn slow.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:54:04 am »

I channeled out my corridor and built retracting bridges over it and linked the bridges to a lever. So I just pull the lever and the magma drops down to the next level.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:40 am »

Just lure goblins into a giant arena that is an entire raised draw bridge. Kill them all by drowning or magma, then take the stuff you want and smash the rest.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:30 am »

i generally make a bassin above my entrance corridoor, and make it so i can let the bassin flow empty on top of invaders, not only does this clean things it allso collects there bodyparts in a confined area where its easy to crush or take for usage

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 07:57:19 am »

If you're worried about magma draining times for resetting (and yes its slow) then do it the fast way.  Drop it in from above and then pump it out.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:16:48 am »

I once did a 2 bridge system.  Iron bridge above holding magma back, iron bridge below with room below it to hold lots of magma.  Seal it, fill with magma, seal it, drop magma below.  You can repeat this as many times as you have room below and magma above.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

i generally make a bassin above my entrance corridoor, and make it so i can let the bassin flow empty on top of invaders, not only does this clean things it allso collects there bodyparts in a confined area where its easy to crush or take for usage

I do this as well - a huge cistern with a retracting bridge in the bottom above the trapped path, which is itself above a 10-z drop into a collection area.  Water from the cistern flushes everything down to where it can be collected or atom-smashed.

Bear in mind if you do this that there is a bug where things that have been pushed by water can become invisible.  You think you have an empty tile, but if you claim and dump it you discover it's full of troll leather thongs, pigtail mittens and longland grass seeds.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 04:29:26 pm »

If you're going with magma, and want an easily accessible cistern lower down, be aware that pressurised magma under grates fills rooms above it REALLY quickly if it's forced up by pumps.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!