Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: damnit, these lashers  (Read 1220 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
damnit, these lashers
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:07:48 pm »

I had a full coton candy team and sent them to kill some human caravan that had lashers, why are they so strong? he massacred the 3 soldiers without a scratch so i did a fast retreat but really, any armor protects dwarves from whips?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: damnit, these lashers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:50 pm »

Theoretically armor does help, but whips have such a small contact area and high velocity multiplier that even adamantine would be lucky to stop it. The best defense against such a weapon is anything except armor. Dodging, blocking, projectiles, and simply hitting it first are all excellent ideas.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »

Magma.

Or catapults. Magma powered catapults.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 06:11:17 pm »

IIRC, lashers are overpowered depending on the material and your troops' armor/armor skills making them more like lightsabers than whips.  However, they pale in comparison to a squad of goblin crossbowmen...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »

Theoretically armor does help, but whips have such a small contact area and high velocity multiplier that even adamantine would be lucky to stop it. The best defense against such a weapon is anything except armor. Dodging, blocking, projectiles, and simply hitting it first are all excellent ideas.

Which is why I always give my troops spears and whips. Nothing can stop either, and a single lucky shot can go up the nose and through the brain, like a living mummification process.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »

IIRC, lashers are overpowered depending on the material and your troops' armor/armor skills making them more like lightsabers than whips.

No, scourges are lightsabres - whips are more like jackhammers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »

IIRC, lashers are overpowered depending on the material and your troops' armor/armor skills making them more like lightsabers than whips.

No, scourges are lightsabres - whips are more like jackhammers.

Scourges suck. The thing holding them back is their terrible penetration. They would do well against an unarmored target, but then again, it's unarmored, so who cares.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »

Which is why I always give my troops spears and whips. Nothing can stop either, and a single lucky shot can go up the nose and through the brain, like a living mummification process.

the whip gets stuck lodged in the brain, the brain is pulled trough the nose out

awesome

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »

The best armour in this case is a good offense. It usually is the best defense against most scary things in DF.

Always have some crossbows available with copper bolts. A completely newbie squad of six or so will still usually rain enough bolts on a target to kill them. Good crossbows and bolts go a long way to even out lack of training. A horribly injured lasher will go down quite easily compared to a fresh one. They are not supermen, they just have super-weapons.

Also, bring the doggies. I can't emphasize this enough. The changes to the combat system has made it so that quantity of attacks is often superior to admantium "anything". The moment an enemy goes down almost every attack will be a dog chomping on head bits. And dwarves stoving in skulls with pickaxes, against next to no defense. Most return attacks will simply flay a dog, which is like free food and leather for you. Bring the doggies. Six to eight are good, fifty will make you absolutely invunerable to just about anything (OK, quite a few dogs will die, but they breed like rabbits in those quantities).

If axes, picks and spears can't do it, crossbows and dogs can. More is better as always, better trained is good but not really that essential. Armour is better than training (and lets them live to get training time). Three picks, three spears, six crossbows and as many dogs as you can spare and your fortress will be defended for life. Or FPS death.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:50:21 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »

i find goblin crossbow men not that good, maybe cause i got a bunch of my own elite marksdwarf, i had close quarters soldiers just for fun even if i had the spike entrance activated with a lever of doom

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »

I modded whips and scourges so that they don't penetrate armor all the time, a guy with a copper whip shouldn't be able to rip through steel armor.
I am happy with them now, not too weak and not too powerfull.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:37 pm »

A dwarf that is a good dodger, shield user, is a great weapon. If the blows do not land, type of armor does not matter, unless the dwarf gets mobbed.
 If the blow never lands, do not worry about armor. Of course, armor is a good defense for lucky blows.
 Had one here that decided to mod adamantine, to make it easier to collect. None of dwarves were good dodgers, or shield users. A goblin ambush wiped them out, even wearing full addy armor
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:12 pm »

The best armour in this case is a good offense. It usually is the best defense against most scary things in DF.

Always have some crossbows available with copper bolts. A completely newbie squad of six or so will still usually rain enough bolts on a target to kill them. Good crossbows and bolts go a long way to even out lack of training. A horribly injured lasher will go down quite easily compared to a fresh one. They are not supermen, they just have super-weapons.

Also, bring the doggies. I can't emphasize this enough. The changes to the combat system has made it so that quantity of attacks is often superior to admantium "anything". The moment an enemy goes down almost every attack will be a dog chomping on head bits. And dwarves stoving in skulls with pickaxes, against next to no defense. Most return attacks will simply flay a dog, which is like free food and leather for you. Bring the doggies. Six to eight are good, fifty will make you absolutely invunerable to just about anything (OK, quite a few dogs will die, but they breed like rabbits in those quantities).

If axes, picks and spears can't do it, crossbows and dogs can. More is better as always, better trained is good but not really that essential. Armour is better than training (and lets them live to get training time). Three picks, three spears, six crossbows and as many dogs as you can spare and your fortress will be defended for life. Or FPS death.

Minor quibble: you can't eat non-butchered tame dogs, including dogs killed as casualties of war or testers of the 100-z drop.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 06:35:29 am »

I can confirm that a scourge is very much like a lightsaber. Using it was like fighting unarmored opponents.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 07:33:27 am »

IIRC, lashers are overpowered depending on the material and your troops' armor/armor skills making them more like lightsabers than whips.  However, they pale in comparison to a squad of goblin crossbowmen...
Maybe you mean elite crossbowmen but in my games crossbowgoblins tend to miss a lot. And if not it's usually blocked either by shield or armour.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: [1] 2