Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm at a loss  (Read 1767 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm at a loss
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 04:51:05 pm »

I usually have population set between 70 and 90; immigrants stop coming when it's past that threshold.  That leaves me enough dorfs to get at least one of each important profession to legendary, and plenty more to stick into a military which can hold off pretty much anything.  Also, make stockpiles of raw materials near the workshops that use them, and a good portion of your population will be kept busy with hauling jobs - and your craftsdwarves will work much, much faster.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 06:54:05 pm »

1) Use Dwarf Therapist.
2) Set jobs on repeat.

Stonecrafts and blocks can be set on repeat and left until inventory becomes a problem. Farming industries (prepared meals, cloth) are also good for that once you get a decent inventory built up. Set your masons to make bedroom sets (cabinet, coffer, door) on repeat, you'll never have to worry about having enough bedroom furniture.

Some people also recommend using the manager. I've never used it, so I don't know how it works. Dwarf Foreman is another add-on that reportedly makes managing the dorfs easier. Dwarf Companion will tell you what your dorfs will be good at if you run out of ideas.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 07:28:13 pm »

Either: build additional workshops and assign extra dwarves to fill the workshops.
Or military.

Kaizerpeaches

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »

I was expecting to be flamed, honestly. Thanks for all these suggestions!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 01:08:28 am »

1) Use Dwarf Therapist.
2) Set jobs on repeat.

Stonecrafts and blocks can be set on repeat and left until inventory becomes a problem. Farming industries (prepared meals, cloth) are also good for that once you get a decent inventory built up. Set your masons to make bedroom sets (cabinet, coffer, door) on repeat, you'll never have to worry about having enough bedroom furniture.

Some people also recommend using the manager. I've never used it, so I don't know how it works. Dwarf Foreman is another add-on that reportedly makes managing the dorfs easier. Dwarf Companion will tell you what your dorfs will be good at if you run out of ideas.
The manager screen in the game is very useful.  "j" to view current jobs, them "m" to move to the management screen (there are other ways to get there, I just can't remember them at the moment), and once in the screen you will see incomplete/pending tasks that have been set.

These tasks are separate from those manually set in the workshops themselves, and are added to the workshop queues after whatever is already specified, so you can have repeating jobs (e.g., rock blocks,  the cabinet-coffer-door set, etc) and still throw in a manager screen task of "rock floodgate: 5", and have all of the stuff be completed (materials being available, of course).

To add a task to the manager screen, press "q" then start typing what you want to make.  Once you have selected the specific task it asks how many you want.  Currently the amount is limited to between 1 and 30, but you can queue up multiples of a task (i.e., need 100 charcoal?  q > char > 30, q > char > 30, q > char > 30, q > char > 10; need  a dozen steel helms?  q > steel helm > 12).

When entering the item you want to queue up it does a pattern match on what you type, so COFF reduces the list to just Coffins and Coffers ... change it to COFF ROCK and you only see Rock Coffers and Rock Coffins.

The two drawbacks to the manager screen that I've run into are that not all possible tasks are listed, and it will allow you to queue up tasks that you cannot complete due to workshop or material shortages.  If the workshop exists you then get constant "cancels make blah: needs material" until you either cancel the task from the manager screen, or you acquire the required materials.  The benefit is it keeps retasking the workshop, even when the jobs cancel, until they are completed (e.g., queue up charcoal 30, smelt magnetite 30, charcoal 30, pig iron 15, steel 15, and eventually you end up with 30 steel bars if you have the wood and magnetite available).

(apologies for the wall o' text ...  ::))
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

I was expecting to be flamed, honestly. Thanks for all these suggestions!

You will never be flamed for asking a question here. Even if it's something that's clearly a straight-to-wiki question. In fact you will get the answer, a meme, something else you never knew, spark a debate and it's 90% certain that at some point Necro will come flying in with a magma reference.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:53 pm »

it's 90% certain that at some point Necro will come flying in with a magma reference.

Doesn't this, technically, count as flaming?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 09:13:08 pm »

!!Magma!! seems redundant to me ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:08 pm »

Keep playing, learning all the ropes etc., and you'll get to the point where you can build a long-lasting fort, and still have a crapload of idlers. I put to work the Dwarves i need working, the rest i often just give stuff like Masonry, Carpentry, Architecture, Hauling etc. for when i need mass building or dumping done. I can remember one time, i designated a large area of stone to be dumped, i left the game playing while i went to make a sandwich, i come back and i'm like "holy damn it's almost done already".

But until then, Magma.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:03 am »

I usually pause and hover over them with V and just set up there preferences one by one when they come in, But I also Prepare before hand and have free rooms set aside for whatever type or professions show up.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!
Pages: 1 [2]