Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm at a loss  (Read 1772 times)

Kaizerpeaches

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I'm at a loss
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »

As to what to do. I discovered Dwarf Fortress a few weeks ago and have had a great time learning the ropes, but each Fortress I start out usually ends with me abandoning it with little fanfare. The problem is I will have fun making a self-sustaining fort, trying to adapt and cope with different environmental challenges, but then maybe by the second year or so, the immigrants are driving me damn near nuts. I love micromanaging, don't get me wrong, but having to find things for 20 new dwarves to do is tedium beyond description. I've tried grand construction projects by enlisting all those new guys into a masonry army, or similar public work projects with other industries but it just ends up with those 20 dwarves sitting around once more after it's all done. It gets to the point of where I dread immigrant waves, and eventually they just have me toss the whole thing to the wind. Don't even get me started on those high master cheese makers. What're they going to do? Milk my cats? Expanding industries to give jobs to new migrants just ends in a ridiculous amount of wasted space, increased value of my fort, and -hoboy!- even more migrants next month!

To put plainly: Immigrant waves are ruining the game for me, any tips for dealing with them?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: I'm at a loss
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:34:46 pm »

Military.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »

Turn immigrant cap lower in the raws. Or, military. Or, of course, magma is a valid solution as well....
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »

In the init options you could lower your max population to something like just 7. You'll still get the first 2 migrant waves, but after that, you shouldn't have any more.

If you still want the dwarves but can't think of what to do with them, then I agree, military, or you could do something like make them station on a bridge and have it retract, making them fall a z level or 2 and get injured, so that you can train up your hospital staff.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »

Are you using custom professions in therapist?

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »

I have the same problem as you.  I usually set the population cap to something I can cope with in the init file.  I also tweak the child cap, to stop the fort filling up with booze-guzzling children.

This fort, however, I built a twisty-turny path of repeating spikes above a 10-z drop as the only way in.  Now my only problem is building enough coffins.

Kaizerpeaches

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »

I'm not using any outside mods other than a graphics pack. Does Therapist make it considerably easier to manage a bunch of bums?

Kaizerpeaches

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »

Changing the population cap in the init file has no effect on migrants in any of my games, I've tried this.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »

Does Therapist make it considerably easier to manage a bunch of bums?
Does the pope shit in the woods? Hell yes Therapist makes managing the little idiots easier.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »

Haha problem solved.

Download Therapist :) Try Lazy Noob pack mate, don't be put off by the name, there's no shame in it  :D

[Ninja'd]

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:03 pm »

Install Fortress Defense.  You'll stop worrying about coping with the environment and start worrying about surviving.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »

Or you could just let them idle.  Gives you a massive Hauling Force on demand, perfect for clearing your megaprojects of unsightly stone, or hauling the presents from Dwarven Christmas to the incinerators!

Suihanki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:16 pm »

I used to be in the same boat as you as far as migrants are concerned, until I started using Dwarf Therapist more effeciently.

To elaborate on what some of the others have said, make custom professions. As soon as all of the migrants appear on screen, sort by migration wave, then see what they'd be good at (or good for, if they're unskilled), and quickly assign your custom professions to them. Then go back and sort by profession, and you can see exactly how many of what kind of dwarf you have.

After you make all of your custom professions, it only takes a few minutes to sort all of your new dwarfs. Very quick and painless.
Think of it as Jenga: Mines of Moria edition, and you're not too far off.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 04:00:46 pm »

Therapist is also good to quickly find out how large the migrant group is which just popped up. Normally you'd have to wait for all 21 (if 'lucky') Dwarfs to enter the screen, but refresh Therapist after the first has arrived and you know the number.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

Migrants initially have no friends inside your population, so no one gets mad when they have an unfortunate accident on the way into the fortress. But as long as you can keep them fed (super easy in the new versions) and have a few spare beds in the barracks, let them idle in the dining room. They are still useful for mass hauling jobs.

The workforce assignment interface is really bad, looks like designed before 1990, it's so bad it keeps me from playing this game too far, because it turns the game into a boring micromanagement hell. Dwarf therapist is a noticeable improvement, at least puts everything into a few clear clickable tables, but it still is a cumbersome provisional solution. 90% of the job assignment work could be half-automated down to a few fast mouse clicks through a couple of simple optional rules (like: five dwarfs are needed for mining work, so the five best miners get chosen to do this job, and only this job). But as far as I know, the developer of this game isn't into interface design very much.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:46:27 pm by wrwr »
Pages: [1] 2