Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183248 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #945 on: December 23, 2011, 02:25:53 pm »

So, working on a warrior-y build that is supplemented by magic and kind of rogue-y.
Skills right now are:
1. Maces
2. Shield-bearer
3. Master of Arms
4. Viking Wizardry
5. Perception
6. Smithing
7. Burglary

Master of Arms to be able to effectively use rogue and wizard-like armors while still having decent block chance and such. Shield-bearer to supplement that block chance even more. Maces for a primary skill, of course. Chose maces because of the high damage and knock-back attacks. Viking Wizardry to help my damage even more, and get me out of the occasional tight situation. Smithing, of course, to get better equipment. The trap affinity at level 2 doesn't hurt either. Perception for trap-seeing/disarming abilities, as well as the help in the hitting-people department.

I took Burglary for the smatterings of nice skills it gives, free lock-picks, some escape skills, etcetera. Might replace it with something else as I refine the build, however.

Thinking of maybe replacing maces with axes, possibly. If I don't get rid of Burglary, I might want to replace Perception with something as well, since Burglary already gives trap skills. Might want to pick up Berserker Rage, for even more extra damage and defense, or possibly Assassination. Archaeology is also kind of a possibility, more for the skills it gives though, like Ancient Kronian Ritual and It Belongs in a Museum.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 23, 2011, 02:27:22 pm »

My best character, lost to the teleportation bug. Ah well.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 23, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

So, working on a warrior-y build that is supplemented by magic and kind of rogue-y.
Skills right now are:
1. Maces
2. Shield-bearer
3. Master of Arms
4. Viking Wizardry
5. Perception
6. Smithing
7. Burglary

-snip-

Thinking of maybe replacing maces with axes, possibly. If I don't get rid of Burglary, I might want to replace Perception with something as well, since Burglary already gives trap skills. Might want to pick up Berserker Rage, for even more extra damage and defense, or possibly Assassination. Archaeology is also kind of a possibility, more for the skills it gives though, like Ancient Kronian Ritual and It Belongs in a Museum.

Maces are very nice because their AoE special attack hits 6 targets grouped in front of you rather than all around you. So axes are really only good if you get surrounded, which won't be often if you choose to play it tactically.

My most successful character had these skills:
1. Maces
2. Shield-Bearer
3. Master of Arms
4. Viking Wizardry
5. Astrology
6. Blood Magic
7. Berserker Rage

I found that Blood Magic works very well with Viking Wizardry, because it means you don't ever need to recast your main weapon-enhancing spell, it will stay up forever. Combined with Astrology's defensive buffs, it felt like I was playing some sort of kick-ass paladin. I had made it further than any other character with this build and it wasn't even death finally stopped him! My character was brought low by a game crash. :(

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 23, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »

1. Maces
2. Shield-Bearer
3. Master of Arms
4. Viking Wizardry
5. Astrology
6. Blood Magic
7. Berserker Rage

Huh. I might try this next character I make.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 23, 2011, 03:48:09 pm »

Now that Ley Walker's been buffed, Ley Walker 2 will likely beat Blood Magic when it comes to maintaining buffs. Some of them you should be able to essentially get for free (the two from Viking Wizardry and Mark of Chthon from Necro).

A problem with the builds listed is that they don't have a low-cost ranged attack. Fulminaric Bolt is good when you've got mana to burn, but chances are in the endgame you'll actually be wanting to avoid melee as much as possible.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 23, 2011, 04:12:43 pm »

Huh, well my character using the build I posted above is doing pretty well. Something odd, though, is that I've found a really good staff. 5 crushing, 3 necromatic, and 1 transmutative. Not to mention the +1 stubbornness as well. I plan to eventually replace it with a fine steel mace, or a magma mace, as I've found the recipe for one.

The shields side is going pretty well, though. Got a heroic bronze aspis that I've enchanted a bit. Gives +2 existential and piercing resistance, +1 acidic damage, and gives +1 to stubbornness. Also got a one-armed leather jacket with +1 acidic damage and +1 enemy dodge reduction.

Thinking of moving away from this staff soon. got enough steel to make a fine steel mace, and have enough iron to make a fine iron mace that can eventually be turned into a magma mace (just gotta find an infernal potion, hnnng).

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:55 pm »

Dat... Dat feel when you accidentally sell your smithing tool.

FFFFFUUUUU-

Also, Mace of Windu in a shop... interesting.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 24, 2011, 12:14:55 pm »

Hmm.

Did vampirism always give you corpse eating? IOt's sddenly a lot more viable for me to use...

Everybody!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 24, 2011, 04:16:04 pm »

Just won this in the mega giveaway thread, installing it now. Hooray!
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 24, 2011, 05:18:31 pm »

F-Five Finger discount only allows you to steal a random item the first time you enter a shop? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUU-

GOD DAMNIT HOW DO I STEAL SOMETHING NOW SHIIIIT

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 25, 2011, 01:11:28 am »

I love this game so much.
All the many references, gameplay is awesome, make-a-class instead of "YOU ARE ROGUE, STAB HERE"...
I could go on forever.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 25, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »

Quote from: Rhodan
No, I mean why would they release separate patches if everyone can just use the Steam version?
Because everyone can NOT use the Steam version. And that's not even counting the ones who can but don't like steam nonetheless (for the record, I don't like Steam, but since I can't use it either the point is moot)
Hmm, did they update Desura yet? Because the HiB also came with Desura, and that is easy to get to work on Linux.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 26, 2011, 01:42:41 am »

F-Five Finger discount only allows you to steal a random item the first time you enter a shop? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUU-

GOD DAMNIT HOW DO I STEAL SOMETHING NOW SHIIIIT

KILL BRAX, KILL ALL THE BRAX.

Promethean+Mathematics= TELE-FWOOSH,

1: Find all the shops, open their doors.

2: Kill the first Brax with a fireball and some fire runes,

3: Move to the next shop using successive teleports so the demons can't catch you. Pop mana potions, Get some beer, do anything you can to get to the next room without running out of magic.

4: The second brax should have been aggroed by you and be outside his shop. Quickly kill him with 2-3 fireballs and watch him burn to death.

5: Teleport into his shop, close doors behind you. (Demons can't spawn in there, how ironic.)

6:Let your mana regenerate, and throw a fire ball or two at the door to kill any demons that might be behind it.

7: Open doors, Repeat step 3-6 for the third Brax.

8:Now that you've killed the Braxes, you've got to clean up the demons. Kill any of them still hanging outside your door and retrace your steps back to the first shop, throwing fireballs at any demons in the way.

9:Check all dat swag loot you just got from all the capitalist pigs! You now rule the Dredmor stock market!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:37:50 am by Heliman »

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 26, 2011, 07:43:52 am »

Just having my best run so far. Cleared out level 6 and just about to enter 7. After seven characters dying before level 5 I seem to have found a build I like and so far nothing has really challenged it other than monster zoo's, but with some clever use of game mechanics those are easy (choke points or stair dodging). I just wish I had more luck with the anvils, I usually do but on this character I have only had one positive enchantment and the rest being curses. I also seem to have a couple of quests I can't complete, one on level two and one on level four, I think the bosses must have spawned inside a wall or something.
I am having a blast trying to imagine what my hero must look like, I made the build as a joke because I thought it would fail miserably but instead it is a complete powerhouse.
Unarmed Combat (kicking is fun!)
Master of Arms (Heavy armor never hurt anyone)
Perception (For better trap detection and better kicking)
Berserking (Because it is great)
Dodging (For knightly leap.)
Emomancy (Kind of a dud, wanted to try it out since I hadn't used it before but now I wish I had taken something else.)
Shieldbearer (*)
* Now this is the interesting one... Dual wielding shields! It is pure awesome since unarmed combat doesn't actually use your hands.

So there he treads, an emo guy with died hair and an ipod, donning plate mail and magical cutoffs, wielding one shield in each hand kicking the snot out of diggles and ghosts alike.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:50:56 pm by Aptus »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 26, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

Well, I won. Finally. #48 on the leaderboards, apparently. Turns out high-level mummies can cast Eldritch Inhabitation, and high-level wights can cast Thaumite Swarm. It also turns out that none of that matters because nothing can hurt an endgame character anyway. The only enemies that were actually capable of hurting me on level 15 were the cubes and the Lutefisk Avatars (20-point Righteous damage smite on a Blood Mage? Nasty).

Sheesh, just got past level nine and I found the weak point of this build.

I do keep telling you lot to get a dependable ranged attack. :p
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 90