Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183459 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #675 on: September 09, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »

What I want to know is: do I need to be keeping notes of the recipes I find?  Or do I have a personal library that persists between characters?
How would it persist between characters? What in-game reason other than the character looking like an identical twin of the last guy to die in the dungeon is there for you to keep a knowledge base of things previous characters have found?

There is some "prior art" in this direction.  E.g. Angband preserves a library of what you (the player) have learned about the monsters.  Nethack, of course, has its bones levels.  Dwarf Fortress persists the entire world, though I acknowledge there's in-game logic for that.  So there's precedence for retaining state between games.

Now.  Could you answer the question, please?  Does the recipe library preserve your discoveries?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 09, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »

It does not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 09, 2011, 03:44:09 pm »

Well, of course not. It's character-specific. (which could probably be derived from my frustrated-ish answer/question, but yeah, should've been more direct)

It's kind of what I like about these games, they make you depend on luck.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »

Nearly cleared floor 5.
Spoiler: Artifact Katana (click to show/hide)
Took a lot of Krom enchants, one reroll and another two Krom enchants to get it to this state.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 16, 2011, 04:23:38 pm »

That's pretty impressive. I don't think it'd be overly spoilery for me to say that it won't get you through to the end of the game, though.

My most recent game (unarmed + vamp tank) was going extremely well - if very slowly - until the end of level 5 wherein a named Icy Golem, panic and Pact of Fleeting Life combined to make my doom. I guess it says something that all the deaths of my promising characters so far have been due to me overextending myself and staying in melee too long.

Edit: A bit late, but a characteristically snarky response for Sean: It's just not right that I should know to genocide mind flayers ahead of time. It's just not right that I should know what to wish for. In fact, pretty much every single tactic used that makes Roguelikes of nearly any description even possible is "not right" by your standards.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:29:30 pm by 3 »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 16, 2011, 04:29:53 pm »

That's pretty impressive. I don't think it'd be overly spoilery for me to say that it won't get you through to the end of the game, though.
I assume you mean "Good luck trying to melee Lord Dredmor...", but that's exactly what I'm planning to do.
Does he get distracted by summons like everything else?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 16, 2011, 04:35:41 pm »

Personally, I didn't get a chance to see (his lightning critkilled me before I could get close). As far as I've heard the problem with trying to fight him head-on is that his attacks do so much damage that you'll never be able to absorb a crit no matter how much damage absorbtion you have. Besides, the resistances + trap affinity on that katana are nice, but you'll probably find something with 30+ total damage by level 9.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:37:58 pm by 3 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 17, 2011, 01:00:37 pm »

Edit: A bit late, but a characteristically snarky response for Sean: It's just not right that I should know to genocide mind flayers ahead of time. It's just not right that I should know what to wish for. In fact, pretty much every single tactic used that makes Roguelikes of nearly any description even possible is "not right" by your standards.
Well, from an in-universe standpoint, yes. But the issue with wishing, or the mind flayers - you know of them ahead of time because of the metagame knowledge, but there's no other way for you to know this. There's no hidden library that tells you of the mind flayers, no scribbled note from a past adventurer that tells you of the effect of wishing for something or other. It's metagame, but it's not in discord with the game itself, so even if I don't like it, I can live with it. Here, however, metagame knowledge is overriding a gameplay element. Finding good recipes to make is equivalent to finding good items on sale in shops, or good loot in an UberChest. Being able to use any recipe without discovering it beforehand is therefore a bug, and I intend to treat it as such.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 19, 2011, 04:07:54 pm »

The Knightly Leap from the Artful Dodger skill path is useful to the point of being broken because it allows you to teleport onto doors. (Perfect for those of you short on lockpicks.) Once you're in the door you can advance through or retreat if necessary.

Caveat: I just started playing and am at level 2. I don't know if things will start opening doors at lower levels of the dungeon.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 19, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »

How do you get Knightly Leap to work? i tried to use it before and right clicking did nothing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 19, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »

You move just like a chess knight, 2 spaces in one direction, one space in a direction perpendicular to the first direction.

I've only been able to get it working on doors.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 19, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »

Misclicking/making an invalid move wastes a turn, by the way, so don't get it wrong in a pinch or you'll probably die.

Teleporting onto doors is a fantastic idea. Elsewhere, Knightly Leap recovers so fast that it's certainly superior to the invisibility/escape portion of Burglary (so long as you're not backed into a corner - which you shouldn't be, it's not like this game is real-time) and combined with the aformentioned tactic makes Burglary utterly obsolete for anything other than getting some extra experience and items (not as much as Tinkerer gets you anyway).

Beorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2011, 12:45:22 pm »

Don't put a lutefisk cube into a lutefisk cube .... :o

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:21 pm »

x/0

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 23, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »

Don't put a lutefisk cube into a lutefisk cube .... :o

Is that five or six now?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 90