Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183454 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #660 on: September 08, 2011, 01:27:25 pm »

I just updated DoD and now the game will not launch... :(
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 08, 2011, 01:42:44 pm »

Verify that cache like a boss!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 08, 2011, 02:03:47 pm »

The stats are always correct, but the ten-star rating isn't (it seems to be manually set for one thing and also seems to take price/rarity into account). There's nothing special about the blue steel sword; it's only useful if you're short on steel to make a fine sword with.
Too bad. Some electrical damage would have been nice.
Thanks for the info.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:45 pm »

Fine Steel Sword would be better, as you can later craft that into a Katana assuming you find the recipe.

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to dual wield shields while being an Unarmed kicking expert. For !!science!!.

Edit2: Idle thoughts... since you get double the combat bonuses from dual wielding something (say, swords with sword specialization at the first rank, you get twice the counter bonus), shouldn't you get double the perception bonus for having two eyes? Part of me really wants the ability to dual wield dual wielded bows.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:48:01 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 08, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »

Yep, dual wielding shields while unarmed is a pretty common tactic, I've heard. Well, since you're literally fighting unarmed and simply kick the enemies.
You can get the highest counter chance that way.

Anyway, dungeon level 4 looks fairly nice and I completely resist two of the four enemies I've encountered :D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 08, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »

Ran into Dredmor and failed horribly. I managed to get off one bolt of mass destruction, one holy hand grenade and one knight's leap before being killed (this is on Going Rogue). I guess they weren't kidding when they said he was "nastier". In retrospect, I might've survived a little longer if I took off my +sight radius helm and just ran for it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 08, 2011, 05:41:50 pm »

Fine Steel Sword would be better, as you can later craft that into a Katana assuming you find the recipe.

You don't have to find the recipe to make X item. In fact, looking things up on the wiki is about all that makes crafting professions worth taking.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 09, 2011, 01:14:43 am »

You don't have to find the recipe to make X item. In fact, looking things up on the wiki is about all that makes crafting professions worth taking.

This is true. I'm playing an Alchemy/Tinkering build and I've started launching it in Windowed mode with the wiki open. It's not cheating!

Also, high Alchemy/Tinkering is a totally boss combination. I thought putting most of my levels into crafting skills would underpower me, but not at all. Strong mana-boosting shields and powerful crossbows early on, super high trapsense, almost unlimited bolts/healing potions/powerful booze. Combined with Golemancy for crowd control and I'm having a good run so far.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:06 am »

Also, high Alchemy/Tinkering is a totally boss combination. I thought putting most of my levels into crafting skills would underpower me, but not at all. Strong mana-boosting shields and powerful crossbows early on, super high trapsense, almost unlimited bolts/healing potions/powerful booze. Combined with Golemancy for crowd control and I'm having a good run so far.

I had a similar idea myself, now that archery is fixed. Do you grind down the iron for healing potions and stick to bronze for the arrows? What other skills did you take? Difficulty? Also how does a higher tinker/trapaware skill affect your own trap effectiveness?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 09, 2011, 03:10:05 am »

I had a similar idea myself, now that archery is fixed. Do you grind down the iron for healing potions and stick to bronze for the arrows? What other skills did you take? Difficulty? Also how does a higher tinker/trapaware skill affect your own trap effectiveness?

I was playing Dwarvish Difficulty, permadeath. Past tense, of course, because a combination of bad luck, bad planning, and MONSTER ZOO retired him on level 4. So I can't speak for this builds usefulness later in the game, but it's a fun one to play. My skills were:

Alchemy - Because I like it.
Tinkering - Wanted to try it out since Crossbows had been fixed.
Archery - See above.
Golemancy - Walls are invaluable.
Maces - Chance of knockback in Melee.
Burglary - For general usefulness.
Assassination - Because I couldn't decide on my last skill.

Next game, I'm switching out Maces for Unarmed. That way I can do the dual-shield thing (Alchemy crafts some damn fine shields) while retaining chance of knockback (which wasn't as useful as you'd think anyway) and generally increasing defense. I'll also switch out Assassination and/or maybe Burglary for some more magic, but I haven't decided what.

Once you get Tinkering level 3, you can create area of effect acid and poison bolts, which require iron. So I used iron for those as well as healing potions. "Rusty" items can also be turned to rust, I recently found out, so that helps with the potions. AFAIK Trap skill does not effect damage of laid down traps, only which types you can disable or reclaim from the dungeon. Honestly I haven't really been able to use traps effectively, but disabling them grabs xp and snagged ones can be sold or lutefisked, which is handy.

God I forgot how much fun this game is.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 09, 2011, 03:55:46 am »

Actually, don't you end up using the "closest match" for whatever recipe you know when trying to craft a recipe you don't know? For instance, if you try to forge the full plate mail you'll end up with whatever's first on the list that uses two pieces of steel - I think, at least. That's what usually happened to me. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 09, 2011, 04:08:46 am »

No, unknown recipies do work. The game'll match the best one it can find if you give it something partially but not completely valid, though (so you can enter two ingots and some other crap and get a basic weapon, for instance).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 09, 2011, 04:54:19 am »

If I were making the game, I'd consider that a bug. Nothing frustrates me more than online knowledge bases overriding the inherent randomness of a roguelike. It's just not right to be able to craft something without your character knowing how to. This kind of meta-knowledge is bad enough in normal crafting-oriented games (i.e. Terraria, where until recently the only other option was usually experimentation, so it's less of a problem). It makes the bookshelves useless, too, since if any recipe can be found online, and used regardless of finding said recipe in the game, you really don't need them in the game anymore. You can just as well make every recipe available from the start and cut to the chase.

Well, thankfully I'm not going to play by those rules. I'll stick with the usual roguelike method. At least I'm free to do that. :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:56:13 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 09, 2011, 10:31:29 am »

It's just not right to be able to craft something without your character knowing how to.  […]  It makes the bookshelves useless, too, since if any recipe can be found online, and used regardless of finding said recipe in the game, you really don't need them in the game anymore. You can just as well make every recipe available from the start and cut to the chase.

Well, thankfully I'm not going to play by those rules. I'll stick with the usual roguelike method. At least I'm free to do that. :)

True true.

What I want to know is: do I need to be keeping notes of the recipes I find?  Or do I have a personal library that persists between characters?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:40 am »

How would it persist between characters? What in-game reason other than the character looking like an identical twin of the last guy to die in the dungeon is there for you to keep a knowledge base of things previous characters have found?

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 90