Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183311 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #420 on: July 19, 2011, 01:09:13 pm »

So I just bought another ludicrously expensive item with the same character as the clockwork chainaxe. This time, it cost 45,000 zorknids to buy. It's a ten star set of melee character armor. It has 10 physical damage reduction and 12 block chance. I won't be harmed by ANYTHING considering I have other physical damage reduction items on me at the moment. I think I like this character. I mean, he's not on the permadeath setting,  but he has yet to die so it's the same thing. (and no, I don't constantly savescum. I'm playing it standard, just backing up my progress every once in a while because I would hate to lose 8-10 hours of work.)
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »

save scumming is still savescumming the thrill of permadeath is that you would lose everything once you die hence youre gonna try to strategize even more rather than just go back to another save

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 19, 2011, 01:31:01 pm »

just hit 1/mp reg per turn.
Can you reg more than 1 per step or is this the limit?

How much regen does that take? 5? 6?
6. maybe 5 already, skipped that number.
Feels very overpowered, i couldn't spent that mana any way unless i'd try to not kill anything in the process (bloodmagic on top of it)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 19, 2011, 01:50:48 pm »

The turns it takes per mana regen is based on difficulty then modified by your regen rate, the base numbers are 5 on easy, 7 on medium, 9 on hard. I'm not sure if it's possible to regen 2 per turn but honestly it's probably not worth trying to attain, spell power reduces spell cost to the point where most of the skills you use won't require a fraction of the mana you end up regenerating. At around 40 spell power I was casting the golemancy wall spells at 3 mana per, which is pretty ridiculous.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 19, 2011, 01:59:26 pm »

save scumming is still savescumming the thrill of permadeath is that you would lose everything once you die hence youre gonna try to strategize even more rather than just go back to another save
I know this, but what I'm saying is the saving is only a backup just in case I do die. I'm sincerely playing the character like it's a permadeath character, and I haven't ever just reverted to a save when things didn't look good. You missed the point of my first post. I just wouldn't have the patience for this game if I knew that I would have to start all over every single time I died, and honestly it's playing just the same except I can have a safer feeling (and therefore more fun less stress) for my character even though he's still on his first life. And yes, I have played about two hundred hours of dungeon crawl stone soup, so I know the thrills of permadeath. I just legitimately prefer having a save option that I can use once a level so only some progress is lost instead of all of it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »

The thing is, this goes out of it's way to make you need to go through multiple lives to find out what everything does, unlike most roguelikes where everything has a clear name. I still don't know what half the fungus do, nor what the fuck a coral wand does.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2011, 02:22:36 pm »

WHAT A CORAL WAND DOES:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, I did play many lives at the beginning. Actually with my first character I sampled all of the starting fungi for a fungi character until I died. It was pretty funny.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2011, 02:23:20 pm »

The thing is, this goes out of it's way to make you need to go through multiple lives to find out what everything does, unlike most roguelikes where everything has a clear name. I still don't know what half the fungus do, nor what the fuck a coral wand does.
It isn't terribly hard to find out what these things do. Zap the coral wand at a lone enemy and see. Find a room, close the door, and eat some fungus. Only two of the fungus have negative effects IIRC, and neither will kill you outright. The wand is pretty good.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »

The thing is, I shouldn't need to zap it to find out what it does when it's already identified. It should be exactly what it says on the tin. See, as clever as the game is, it's missing a bunch of crucial roguelike mechanics, and suffers for it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:09 pm »

Thus reducing us to Ye Olde Age of video games, where we have to socially interact and ask other people what things do :P

Also, massive changelog for supposedly tomorrow's patch.

- Nerfed “Obvious Fireball.”

Thus ended the Golden Age of Dredmor, and begun the Balanced Age, where things are deemed so powerful that they must be nerfed. Not that I mind, Fireball was certainly OP.

- Added fifty-three new achievements. (These are live so we can test them; go see what you have to look forwards to.)

The new ones aren't active until the patch, but I am looking at them right now!

Spoiler: Notable cheevos (click to show/hide)

- WASD can now open doors and attack monsters. This is a toggleable behaviour.

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

- Rewrote the save game format so we can add items without breaking everything. (Oops.) (This may also break current save games, although we tried our hardest to make sure this isn’t the case.)

What they mean is they're inching ever slowly towards mod support.

- Added the Auto-Looter 9000, by BraxCo.

Now that's interesting. I bet you it'll be a checkerboard-colored mechanical gauntlet. Yes, I've called it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2011, 02:32:49 pm »

The plumber mushroom was pretty obvious though. Heheh.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #431 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »

The thing is, I shouldn't need to zap it to find out what it does when it's already identified. It should be exactly what it says on the tin. See, as clever as the game is, it's missing a bunch of crucial roguelike mechanics, and suffers for it.
There is no 'identified' state nor an 'unidentified' state. You learn what things do by using them, and that is how the game works. You can whine about it, I guess, but nothing is going to change it unless the devs decide to be nice. Roguelikes aren't supposed to be easy or convenient, and this game is far more forgiving than most roguelikes where a quaffed potion can instakill you or ruin your game. As far as I can tell there are no lasting effects or conditions aside from cursing an item from an anvil. There is also no obfuscation, so a nightcap mushroom is always a nightcap mushroom and always gives you mana back unlike that frothing blue-green potion which could be a cure mutation or a terrible poison from game to game.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 19, 2011, 02:38:30 pm »

You could just look it up in the wiki, really. All the fungus effects are simple enough that once you know it, you will likely remember how useful it will be in future adventures. Same for potions- except honestly nearly every potion has a really obvious effect if you examine the description excluding the alchemy crafting potions which have a clearly different style in name, picture, and description (most of which says "acid" at some point).
Is this worth buying?

Reading through this thread, it certainly looks entertaining, but I have to ask. I've played a number of roguelikes, graphical and ASCII. Can't say I've won many, but details. I know how they work, what basically to expect, how many crazy ways one can die, etc. What I'm really asking is, does this roguelike offer anything truly original, or is it just a wacky roguelike with graphics and animations?

I know it's inexpensive now, but with ADOM, NetHack, ToME, Elona, DCSS, and who knows what else out there, do I really need another?
It doesn't have any particularly unique gameplay, but I would say it's pretty well made and generally polished, all things considered. The skill system isn't insanely complex, but offers a lot of surprisingly well balanced options with very few skills being sincerely "useless", if any really.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

Is this worth buying?

Reading through this thread, it certainly looks entertaining, but I have to ask. I've played a number of roguelikes, graphical and ASCII. Can't say I've won many, but details. I know how they work, what basically to expect, how many crazy ways one can die, etc. What I'm really asking is, does this roguelike offer anything truly original, or is it just a wacky roguelike with graphics and animations?

I know it's inexpensive now, but with ADOM, NetHack, ToME, Elona, DCSS, and who knows what else out there, do I really need another?

I think someone else could answer this better. The game certainly doesn't offer many things that are truly original, but:

-The way it pulls so many of them together, so very well, is different than a lot of roguelikes
-It takes itself the opposite of seriously, which is a nice change from most roguelikes -- at first, I mostly bought it for the humor. I wasn't disappointed.
-Look through all it has to offer, just the different kinds of features. There's so many, if you like just one of them, you can be almost guaranteed it's been quite fleshed out, enough to be almost a reason to buy.

I would certainly say it's worth it for the price. It's a highly different experience overall than ADOM, Angband, Nethack, DCSS, etc. Though I would say out of all of those, it is probably most similar to DCSS. The basic idea of the game is the same (venture to dungeon, slay monsters, do ridiculous amounts of micromanaging, waste time, gather progressively more ludicrous treasure, eventually face the final boss or die in the process) but the way it does them is a refreshing change from most free roguelikes. It just has a ton of polish.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50:04 pm »

To expand on freeformschoolers post:

Music: the music, sound effects and artistic style (both graphically, in text descriptions and conceptually) in this game is done perfectly.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90