Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183343 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #780 on: December 15, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »

Even shorter game? To try out all of the nifty DLC goodness at once, I took every new skill along with vampirism. Doing pretty much anything at all caused me to lose my vegan status for 200 turns. The penalty is pretty harsh, like a strict interpretation of D&D paladins.

I think I've been pretty lucky so far. I impulsively use every anvil I come across, even if it's with equipment I don't plan on using. Out of 20-30 anvils I've used that weren't the first in a particular game, I have gotten cursed precisely zero times.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:50:35 pm by Mephisto »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 15, 2011, 08:37:56 pm »

IIRC the odds are slightly biased towards not getting cursed, but not by much, 60-40 or so.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:16 am »

Being a werediggle is pretty awesome. I've made it to the 11th floor so far. I found a statue of the Diggle God of Death. It asked me if I wanted to pray to it and I said no because after eating a root of t'char I don't trust anything in this game anymore.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 16, 2011, 07:37:36 am »

I fell down a hole on the second level without a way back up.  I'd never seen the monsters on that level before (though I've only ever made it to level 4 before losing interest, so yeah), and after carefully fighting some stuff via summons, I went around a corner and was immediately one-shotted for more than my max health of forty-five.

/shakefist

Really want to get started with a Emomancer/Demonologist, but I can never make it anywhere with them on GR due to a lack of good offense in the beginning.

Currently have a successful Dual-mace guy with Golemancy and Archaeology/Smithing.  Also Perception, because I want those eye lasers.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:50 pm »

Veganism is really annoying to me. I don't mind the penalties, but all the friendly diggles make it difficult to move around.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 16, 2011, 12:57:26 pm »

Release the Hounds is quite useful as far as I've gotten. 4 free, loyal hunting diggles to fight for you and/or walk around dumbly and set off all the traps accidentally.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 16, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »

It seems vampiric attacks don't work on some enemies now? I get no health from some enemies on floor two, and most ones on floor three. I think it used to work on everything?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #787 on: December 16, 2011, 02:37:22 pm »

It seems vampiric attacks don't work on some enemies now? I get no health from some enemies on floor two, and most ones on floor three. I think it used to work on everything?
Which enemies? It may not work on things with no blood. Undead, robots, potatos, etc.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 16, 2011, 02:56:15 pm »

It seems to work on all vegetables and animals, I doesn't seem to work on undead. I didn't pay much attention before I started having trouble with fights that I thought should have been easy based on earlier experience, and I died and started a different type of character soon after that. Can anyone confirm that it used to work on everything?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 16, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »

The basic lifesteal effect of vampirism now only works on enemies classed as animal or demon. Enemy types were only introduced in 1.0.7, so prior to that it did work on everything. Other enemies seem to be immune (this is supposed to be the case for Blood Magic as well but it seems to be bugged). Note that the lifesteal does actually do extra damage so it's your damage potential, not just your tanking potential, that's hurt when fighting most enemies.

The only reasons I'd take Vampirism now are DotD and Psychic Vampire. DotD is great; it scales with your magic power now, so if you're strong enough you'll be getting 7-8 HP per corpse. Psychic Vampire has a great stun proc (4+ turns, works on anything, might be magic-resistable) and lets you steal mana. If neither of those appeal, take Necro instead and get Pact of Fleeting Life.

My thoughts on the new skills, having not yet tried them all out:
Big Game Hunter: The final two skills have the most potential. It could turn out being used purely as an experience booster, a little like Tinkering sometimes is. Otherwise meh.
Emomancy: A generalist magic skill like Psionics. Looks promising (if not entirely broken).
Werediggle Curse: I'm not sure about this. You'll probably want to pump passive effects/buffs to make it viable, otherwise it'll go the way things like this usually do and end up underpowered as it can't synergise with the rest of your build.
Killer Vegan: Great passives. Not sure if they're really worth the price.
Piracy: If Swashbuckling is anywhere near as good as the description makes it sound, then the skill's worth it just for that level. In fact, it might singlehandedly make melee builds viable in the endgame. Mists of the Corsair and The Black Spot look good too.
Demonologist: Looks decent, and fairly interesting. I'll have to see how Abyssal Fire turns out. If it's area-effect burn, or proc burn, then sold.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 16, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »

So I had some questions for everybody.

1.  How many levels are there?
2.  What do you usually do, clear an entire floor and move on to the next or go up and down regularly?
3.  What skill sets do you guys like?

I've been doing Mace, Shield, Armor, Smithing, Berserker, Promethean Magic, and Blood Magic.  Blood magic keeps my mana full constantly and doesn't need to be skilled up, promethean magic is awesome in general, and the rest is standard warrior stuff.
Shoes...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 16, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »

1) 10 afaik
2) die a lot
3) any, really

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 16, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »

10, 15 with the dlc
I go down the stairs as I find them and hope I can hop back upstairs before being attacked, usually map out the whole previous floor.
Whatever seems interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 17, 2011, 02:28:22 am »

1) What Aklyon said.
2) I almost always obsessively clear every inch of a floor before I move down.
3) Tinkering + Archery + Psionics is just always too tempting. Push enemies back, pepper them with your almost unlimited bolts, repeat. Swords + Dual Wielding for a great counter-attack rate. Alchemy + Promethean was pretty deadly, but Alchemy has received a noticeable nerf lately (moreso than other crafting types).

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 18, 2011, 02:23:54 am »

This is easily my best character as of yet. Magic Cloak of Sagan as a zoo reward, Orb of Nothingness, +4 mana regen, loads of resistances...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 90