Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183413 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #585 on: July 22, 2011, 04:32:44 pm »

Oh, so it's an innate ability thing?

Makes sense. I don't get the name though.
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I generally read it as a shortened version of "procure" as in "a chance to procure an effect". I think people use "proc" just because it's a simple word to explain something slightly more complex that doesn't really have an official name that I'm aware of. Also it's not specific to a buff or debuff, it's basically any type of effect that executes in response to an action (Attacking, getting hit, etc.)

I'm finding that I can't seem to make a reliable melee build. It seems so much harder than any mage type I've tried so far. Am I the only one?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 22, 2011, 04:37:07 pm »

I'm finding that I can't seem to make a reliable melee build. It seems so much harder than any mage type I've tried so far. Am I the only one?

Hmm. The last build I made it farther than dungeon level 3 with was...

Sword/Dual Wield/Artful Dodger/Psionics/Promethean Magic/Blood Magic/Archeology.

Yeah, most of my success has been with melee/magic combo builds. I tend to fail spectacularly with pure melee or pure mage unless everything I do includes kiting.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #587 on: July 22, 2011, 04:50:09 pm »

Oh, so it's an innate ability thing?

Makes sense. I don't get the name though.
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I generally read it as a shortened version of "procure" as in "a chance to procure an effect". I think people use "proc" just because it's a simple word to explain something slightly more complex that doesn't really have an official name that I'm aware of. Also it's not specific to a buff or debuff, it's basically any type of effect that executes in response to an action (Attacking, getting hit, etc.)

The Origin of the Term "Proc":

The programmatic term "proc" has been influenced by many sources. No single source has been definitively credited with the term "proc", but here are the candidates:

1) Programmed Random OCcurrence. This is a favorite explanation of "proc" amongst programmers. This alleged origin describes the randomness of a proc, and how it is not a guaranteed event.

2) PROCess. Most laypeople believe this to be the source of the expression "proc", but software programmers prefer the explanation above.

3) PROCedure. Coming from the world of Pascal programming, there were text-based games where gamer commands would be typed like "proc meleestrike wraith"

4) special PROCedure. This is variant of the #3 explanation above.

Source

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »

Yeah, I had a really overpowered sword before the update on a going rogue character. Had a chance to proc (not sure if it was me hitting them, or me being hit, kinda went too fast for me to tell what the trigger was) the level 1 astrology spell. Did tons of PBAoE damage for free.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 22, 2011, 05:04:41 pm »

I got a good melee build!
Assassin
Dodging
Burglar/perhaps archaeology
Dual Wield
Maces
Axes
Berserker Rage

It gets you so many possible on hits!
Blackjack, Et Tu?, Viking Strike, Dwarven Handshake, Berserk, more beserk, and the standard critical hits are far more common. It's pretty beautiful
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »

I got a good melee build!
Assassin
Dodging
Burglar/perhaps archaeology
Dual Wield
Maces
Axes
Berserker Rage

It gets you so many possible on hits!
Blackjack, Et Tu?, Viking Strike, Dwarven Handshake, Berserk, more beserk, and the standard critical hits are far more common. It's pretty beautiful

I'd say replace either Maces or Axes with Deadshot.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:23 pm »

Mine is similar, except with heavy armour instead of berserk and that accuracy instead of axes.
Everybody!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 22, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »

Mine is similar, except with heavy armour instead of berserk and that accuracy instead of axes.

You know you've played too much Crawl when your mind automatically substitutes the armor skill's name with "Heavy Armor".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »

I have an artifact staff in my current game that has a (fairly high, it seems) chance to put an enemy to sleep when it hits. It's pretty boss. Got it from a Chest of Evil (which apparently don't always contain named monsters!) Hopefully it will come in handy.

So yeah, Proc Artifacts exist and they are awesome. I'll take a screenshot in a few minutes when I boot the game up.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:10:24 pm by kinseti »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 22, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

So with fungal arts I just get a spore, how do I turn such spore into a mushroom?

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 22, 2011, 07:05:17 pm »

So with fungal arts I just get a spore, how do I turn such spore into a mushroom?

Plant it (click!) it on a corpse (or I think even a patch of mud), wait a few turns.. presto!
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 22, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 22, 2011, 11:51:41 pm »

:o  I beat dredmor! Admittedly this took a few tries (thanks, non permadeath, for saving me 30 hours plus) but on the other hand he spawned in an area only acceccible through a monster zoo filled with arch diggles, past a huge group of fell corn, and actually in the center of a second zoo, so honestly he had every possible advantage. I DID IT!
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2011, 12:16:00 am »

beat dredmor

non permadeath

pfffffffff

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 23, 2011, 10:23:19 am »

I drew this and now I realized I have a problem with drawing the main guy's hair. It looks like spaghetti.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 90