Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183313 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »

To expand on freeformschoolers post:

Music: the music, sound effects and artistic style (both graphically, in text descriptions and conceptually) in this game is done perfectly.

Second.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »

On the other-hand, if you are experienced with roguelikes this game can be a little frustrating at times.  The animations slow things down quite a bit and you are required to use the mouse which can be annoying as well.  It doesn't feel like it has much depth compared to a lot of roguelikes.

Still, the style and flavor is pretty fun!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

How does move in mysterious way work?

Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »

You can teleport on any active object with it (monster/lever/door) but i'm not sure if that's all..

Contrite 17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 19, 2011, 04:58:29 pm »

This game would be perfect if it had a save hot key for crash protection. I just lost 4 hours of progress due to a 7 second power outage on my melee character. This would probably be abused by non permadeath characters but if they want to play like pansys then that's their loss.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:42 pm »

Hm... alright, I got recently an artifact that gives me 4 resistance against... Existential damage. What is that? I've had all sorts of damage types but I don't think I've ever found an artifact or player skill that does that sort of damage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 19, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

What's stopped me from buying is a) the art style doesn't really do it for me and b) the animations combined with what looks like a lot of AOE and text and everything just makes it look so busy. The busyness I might get over but I've only go so much appetite for a game that is built around tongue in cheek stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 19, 2011, 05:16:32 pm »

To be fair, the tongue-in-cheekness is just the top layer, or the skin -- underneath, there's a compelling, solid and relatively complete game. Once you've laughed at all of the flavor text and hilarity, you'll still be hooked. And it's not quite as busy as it seems, because you won't be casting AOE spells that often, text doesn't clog up too much of the screen, etc. unless you're doing item-management like crafting (which makes it pretty busy but at the same time you don't have to worry about the rest of the stuff when crafting, since it is turn based after all).

As for the art style I can fully understand that. Especially with the main character -- I would like a guy that can be customized a little. And as for the animations, specific enemies like Blobbies have much longer attack animations (or so it seems) so a turn surrounded by them is somewhat more monotonous.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2011, 05:44:09 pm »

Freeform's pretty much got the idea. It's understandable if people aren't interested, but overall it's a pretty well built game. I have to admit I'm a little bit addicted.
Hm... alright, I got recently an artifact that gives me 4 resistance against... Existential damage. What is that? I've had all sorts of damage types but I don't think I've ever found an artifact or player skill that does that sort of damage.
Funny, this was the first non-standard damage types I found. Basically the same as most of the other types as far as I can tell, existential damage ignores armor which I think several other damage types do as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 19, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »

I'm pretty tempted, I won't deny. But I suffer from the problem a lot of others do around here, and that is being up to my eyeballs in quality, free roguelikes.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 19, 2011, 06:04:39 pm »

Well, as everyone knows, it's Steam. Right now it's around 5 dollars, you might be better off waiting til it's 1.50 or 2 or even 3 dollars if you're unsure. That's what I do with games I know I'll only sort of like, in a way - I wait on their sales.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 19, 2011, 06:08:20 pm »

Yalp! Everyone has their price...... . . .

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »

I guess that rather large update posted earlier hit today, sadly it seems to break previous save files. Probably for the best through considering one of the fixes is monster ranged attacks, which will make the game a bit harder overall.
Fixed: perception skill should not promise that you can see through walls when, in fact, it will not let you see through walls.
This made me laugh for some reason. I had assumed it did exactly that. Also apparently the "Just quit" message has been revised yet again, and I have to admit I feel a bit bad that they are still getting complaints from it. I learned about this the hard way in other rogue-likes, but this being a relatively mainstream game in comparison, I'm guessing they have to deal with quite a few angry individuals.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 19, 2011, 08:19:31 pm »

This game just gets progressively more wonderful. I can see it going the way of Terraria - as the bugs and crashes get fewer, updates will lend themselves more and more towards new content.

EDIT: I am suddenly sickened by the waves upon waves of people on their forum complaining about a patch that fixed so many things breaking their saves. And then saying they should get a refund.

Alright let's break it down.

1) THIS IS A ROGUELIKE. Dying and restarting is an integral part of the gameplay for most roguelikes.
2) The game came around what, a week ago? And there's already been 3+ patches since then I believe.
3) The patch made it so that they could make content patches without having the problem people are complaining about right now in the future.
4) If you didn't update, you probably would have crashed and lost your saves anyway.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:28:46 pm by freeformschooler »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 19, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

I'm sure someone's mentioned this already but Throwing Buffalo Technique is hilarious.

Things you can do with it:
- Block passageways with impassable objects
- Kick traps onto enemies
- Kick enemies through each other
- Kick enemies through impassable objects
- Kick enemies through walls
- Kick water-borne enemies onto land

I wonder if you can kick Brax out of a shop with it...
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90