Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: User Friendliness - Low hanging fruit  (Read 1868 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
User Friendliness - Low hanging fruit
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:59:19 am »

A few easy changes would cut down micromanagement horror by about 85.73 %

Make every list alphabetically sorted...trying to find the right dwarf among 200 unsorted ones takes a long time.
If a dwarf is assigned to a squad don't list him in the list of available dwarves when you have another squad selected.

There are a few stockpile things that I always do that take a huge amount of time to do in DF.
- Select ONLY tallow
- Select ONLY fat
- Select ONLY magma-safe or magma-unsafe rock

Donation will come soon !  ;D
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: User Friendliness - Low hanging fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:47 am »

DF does some smart sorting, when a selection requires a skill the best skilled are at the top, if you're assigning an office/bedroom/dining room the nobles (who usually need one) are at the top, and when selecting for a squad the current squad of the selected dwarf is shown in the top of the screen (which is either a new feature or it took me a long time to notice it).

What do you need "select only fat" or "select only tallow" for?

To use magma-safe rock, create a stockpile of it as close to the workshop as possible, and dump the other nearby rock as well. Don't forget that z-levels count, too (a mechanic will rather go 3 levels up instead of 5 tiles east).

hope that helps your RSI a bit :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

lazygnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:56 am »

Keep fat near the butcher's or kitchen, keep tallow near the soap-maker's shop.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:37 pm »

I think the ability to search in menus, like you can n legends mode, would be REALLY helpful in some scenarios. Like when you want to solely highlight certain meat products out of a huge list, for example.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:49:50 pm »

You can do that with stockpiles

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:53:46 pm »

That, but also, it is extremely easy to get so much fat the fat/tallow stockpile fills up completely...so the tallow can not be stored anywhere and the whole production chain hangs.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:51:52 pm »

You can do that with stockpiles

Have you ever actually tried?  It's ridiculous: All possible types of fat or tallow for every possible animal are listed together under the Food/Fat stockpile menu, like this:

Badger Fat
Badger Tallow
Giant Badger Fat
Giant Badger Tallow
Badger Man Fat
Badger Man Tallow
Cat Fat
Cat Tallow
...and so on, for hundreds and hundreds of different animal types, includes pages upon pages of "Forgotten Beast Fat and Forgotten Beast Tallow"...

if you actually wanted to make separate stockpiles for fat and tallow you'd have to go through and manually de-select every other entry in each stockpile.  I started to do it once and gave up when I realized it was going to take me like 20 minutes for each stockpile.

If "fat" and "tallow" were separate categories it would be a hundred times easier.

--nomad_delta

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:52:17 am »

And hey, what about seperate stockpiles for glazed and unglazed items.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:01:55 am »

i really like the alphabetical sorting of dwarves, + the "wont show up in recruit selection when already in a squad" its a pain atm to make squads and this will help greatly

i lub your suggestions <3

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:10:54 pm »

A different unit listing for the deceased would be nice as well, or maybe just an entirely different listing for invaders.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 12:26:14 pm »

Have you ever actually tried?  It's ridiculous: All possible types of fat or tallow for every possible animal are listed together under the Food/Fat stockpile menu, like this:

Badger Fat
Badger Tallow
Giant Badger Fat
Giant Badger Tallow
Badger Man Fat
Badger Man Tallow
Cat Fat
Cat Tallow
...and so on, for hundreds and hundreds of different animal types, includes pages upon pages of "Forgotten Beast Fat and Forgotten Beast Tallow"...

This is a problem,  yes. Specific animal types (not just for fat but meat, bones, and carcasses/body parts) should be like the "Metals/Materials" lists in the finished goods stockpile, selected independently of the item type. This does rule out the possibility of having a stockpile that accepts nothing but Giant Badger Fat and Badger Man Tallow. Tough.

There are only two use cases of any importance there: "allow all animals" and "allow only one specific animal because I'm trying to make a giant badger leather tunic to give to a guy who likes giant badger leather". But for consistency with the rest of the stockpile selection (because there is also the case of "malachite and tetrahedrite here, hematite and magnetite over there") it should be a separate set of categories, from which you can choose as many or as few animal types as you want.

(This also needs to be fixed on the caravan request screen, but that's not used frequently enough to be a major hassle.)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

I think many areas of the interface could be easily improved by just adding more "generic" terms to things. I appreciate the game keeping track of all this information, but much of the time I only care about "leather" or "fat" or "tallow". Much of these problems seem to arise from shifting development goals, human error, or differing play styles. The game has been published for quite some time and I'm sure the community could provide many use cases that Toady would not have to imagine on his own.

Dwarftosser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 12:01:01 pm »

I'd like the ability to color dwarves based on enabled labors rather than highest skill.

especially now that migrants seem to be completely random.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:06 pm »

I'd like to be able to sort all lists by text-string like you can while selecting items to bring to the depot.

(See my Minor Tweaks suggestion thread)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:05:46 am »

Amen.

This feature would help so much.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: [1] 2