Attack a weak caravan
- 5 (45.5%)
Loiter at our tower
- 1 (9.1%)
Other (specify in post
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38

Author Topic: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign  (Read 48400 times)

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
Re: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign
« Reply #195 on: May 31, 2011, 03:44:33 am »

Va is not a leader type. More of a capable No. 2, think shego, or Dr. Girlfriend for female examples, or just take anyone else from te Hypercompetent Sidekick TVTropes page. Can I make a suggestion? shall we make a gentlemans agreement, to wait until we have a reasonable amount of power until we do the whole backstabbing thing? Fluff it up as our old allegiances bound with magic. it seems to me to be the only way you'd get us all to stick together ayway..

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 31, 2011, 06:15:42 am »

...I see absolutely no reason why our characters would spend any amount of time or effort attempting to betray each other. Each character has something that they need from the group which they cannot personally obtain for themselves:

o Sesthorono, Hreeka, Va and Cenotaph are all reliant upon having either high quality equipment and/or regular healing, but are unable to interact with demihuman society in a way that allows them to obtain such things. They need people like Ego, Oolooth or Di'rac to interact with people for them and a cleric, like Meep, to provide healing.

o Ego, Meep and Di'rac, while each able to go into town unmolested, are personally lacklustre combatants who, without a powerbase of powerful combatants like Sesthorono, Hreeka and Cenotaph, would be swiftly killed, imprisoned or banished by good-aligned adventurers as soon as they gained any real prominence.

o Oolooth is a tiny slug that lacks both opposable thumbs and the ability to communicate beyond the 20 foot range of her telepathy. Without loyal and capable allies, she is limited to exerting meaningful control a single enthralled individual at a time, which is entirely too little.

While there is enough redundency in capabilities that any individual character could be removed from the group without the whole thing falling apart, no one individual is able to successfully strike out on their own without being left incredibly vulnerable to wandering adventurers. Anyone that attempts a betrayal, or even rocks the boat enough to forfit the protections and assistance of the group, will have effectively signed their own death sentence.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 31, 2011, 06:36:04 am »

Full agreement here to your post Grek. We can achieve much more with proper teamwork then alone and as long as everyone gets more or less what he wants we should be fine. Of course, if one or more of us go down the stupid evil route we will probably get some problems...

@demonic gnolls: They should be native outsiders, not normal outsiders. Outsides need neither food nor rest and that would be a bit overpowered for a low-level mook army.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #198 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:32 am »

So I finished my Kenku Beguiler. Who suffers from split personality disorder, which includes; a his badass self, a horny human noble, a battle-crazed dwarf, and a goblin.. being a goblin.  He can work as a secondary rogue/support spellcaster/leader like role.  Basically I just need DM approval and I guess other players approval since it seems there's a couple of people on standby to join.  Though that shouldn't be a problem since were like ransacking towns *shrug*

Grail Darkdown
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=302161
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2011, 07:16:47 am »

@demonic gnolls: They should be native outsiders, not normal outsiders. Outsides need neither food nor rest and that would be a bit overpowered for a low-level mook army.

They're not mooks. The bog standard gnolls would be the mooks, with these as elite shock troopers. Notice that they can fly, spread darkness in their wake, walk around on fire without being harmed and are each individually supposed to be a threat on par with a troll.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 31, 2011, 07:20:21 am »

They're not mooks. The bog standard gnolls would be the mooks, with these as elite shock troopers. Notice that they can fly, spread darkness in their wake, walk around on fire without being harmed and are each individually supposed to be a threat on par with a troll.
Spreading darkness in their wake isn't a good argument against NOT overpowered.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:46 am »

I apologize. Elite mooks certainly fits better as a description. Didn't notice the flying part but why are they !!Gnolls!! ? Nothing like that in the description. Guess i will post a little design for a high-power siege engine later.
The desecrate ability is actually quite neat but i think they should at least need unholy water to desecrate an area for bonuses. Desecrating temples, shrines, holy forest grooves and the like without materials would be fine through.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 31, 2011, 08:45:51 am »

They're not supposed to be playable. I got them by applying the half-fiend template to a gnoll to see what it is that the backstory I wrote up actually says our old boss was trying to make. And apparently, right now it says that he was breeding flying, flame-wreathed hyenamen that spread darkness in their wake, despoil shrines and are entirely too powerful to be a first level character. Which seems to indicate that he only made 13 such horrible monsters, the majority of which were destroyed by the heroic adventurers that are going to be our primary antagonists in an epic battle of good against evil with a lot of explosions, heavy metal and decapitations of flaming hyenamen.

But, again, they're not supposed to be playable. I would even go so far as to say that our characters should not interact with these at least until each and every member of the party is at least as badass and impressive as one of these is, if not more so. Quite possibly, we may never come across one of these. They just turned out to be sufficently metal that I just had to stat them up to see what they would be like and exactly how strong the backstory implies the former evil overlord to be. If we go ahead and say that he's using half-fiendish gnolls as his elite soldiers, then he's probably at least level 10 or something.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:53:09 am by Grek »

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:46 am »

IC:

:so gentlemen. we have an accord. we need each other, the master was our protection before. now we are our won protectors. let ours be the sword that pierces the heavens and sends the gods crashing down. let ours be the almighty hammer of fate.we have proved those so called warriors wrong. we were more than them. GENTLEMEN. STRIKE THE EARTH!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »

@Frelock: Your character sheet says you're a Quasit Cleric, so I went with that. Fixed in second draft. Also, for the record, it is difficult to make an imp named Meep sound metal.

My apologies.  That has now been fixed. Beautiful back-story, by the way.  If you would care to suggest another name for a more "metal" imp, I'm open to suggestions.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2011, 12:16:41 pm »

Mascadoriel. METAL!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »

Tungsten.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »

Wolfram.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

Tungsten.
Better yet, W!

In all seriousness, though, I'm an imp; the lowest of the low devils (and not in the evil sense of the word).  We cackle in a very high pitch, pose no trouble to your average adventurer, and have somewhat innocuous sounding names.  Stuff like Mascadoriel is just too much for a simple imp, and Wolfram is far to dignified.  Two syllables at most, and nothing too flashy.  Unfortunately, this is the complete opposite of metal...

When did we start with the whole "heavy metal" theme anyhow?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2011, 03:41:31 pm »

Xerxes is a cool name, It's got some metal cred, plus it has "X"s.  And it's the type of name that you don't need a last name to go with.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38