Attack a weak caravan
- 5 (45.5%)
Loiter at our tower
- 1 (9.1%)
Other (specify in post
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38

Author Topic: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign  (Read 48386 times)

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »

Well... Ive put a lot of thought into the DR and i definitely want to keep it. Barbarians gain the same class feature, only a bit later and I fail to see the problem with bolstering up my few hitpoints a bit. Its a normal feature of the Warlock class after all...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2011, 12:43:40 am »

Damage reduction starting at level 7 is not a terribly big deal. At level 7, you're getting 4th level spells, one of which is stoneskin for  DR 10/adamantine. You have to get into epic levels (well beyond the point where the game collapses into a gibbering pile of crazy) before the warlock's DR is better than that. Hellfire blast is a bit more of an issue since the extra damage puts you well above the level appropriate range. I'd recomend replacing it with an ability to convert your existing eldritch blast into hellfire damage however many times per day.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2011, 12:55:00 am »

Just a thought guys, since no-one's mentioned it yet.  Plan to get tomb tainted soul somewhere down the line.  It will really make my job easier. 

EDIT 1:In fact, Araph, would you mind if I took that instead of weapon finesse for my character?

EDIT 2:Also, do you have the Libris Mortis book?  I think it's availible online for free, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:03:58 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2011, 02:39:33 am »

E: I guess I could have my orc host take that as his one feat, since I haven't given him one yet.

Our party consists of a gnoll, a tiefling, a choker, a puppeteer, a devil, a demon, an illithid and possibly a psionic crab. So, for our backstory, I propose the following:

One year ago, the gnolls of [insert name of forest we start in here] were conquered by [insert name of our old boss here] and have been used as shock troopers and foot soldiers by their diabolical new master, who had struck dark bargins with the Great Illithid Empire of [insert name here], the Archdevil Asmodeus and a Demon Prince of the 113th level of the Abyss. For keeping up his(or her) end of their dark bargins, the illithids sent a powerful psionic artifact from their underground empire, guarded by Va Kinspar, the inscruitable illithid monk, the mighty knight of the race of chokers, Sesthorono, and Oolooth, a diplomat from the festering pits of pupeteers. From Baator, the chain-wielding anti-paladin Cenotaph was belched forth wreathed in infernal smoke. From a gap within the air itself, a gap that opened upon a fiery layer of the Abyss, a demonic Quasit flew forth in the form of a bat as a tiefling marauder slithered forth through the shadows. Using these psionic artifact and the tainted blood of devil and demon alike, [insert name of our old boss  here] planned to raise a world-conquering army of psionic, fiend-blooded, mutant super-gnolls and overthrow the kingdoms of men! Only the noble sacrifice and righteous power of [insert names of our antagonists here] was [insert name of our old boss here] defeated and his(or her) plans for world domination foiled!

...but now, in the darkness of that dark overlord's former lair, the forces of darkness stir once more as Hreeka the Striped mades a bid for power over the last vestiges of the defeated psionic mutant gnollfiend army, backed by the envoys sent by the dark powers that [insert name of our old boss here] bargined with long ago and new and terrible forces of evil! Only time shall tell if the powers of darkness shall triumph once more, or if the forces of goodness, justice and the [insert name of forest we start in here] way will triumpth over evil!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:43:51 am by Grek »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2011, 07:04:12 pm »

Gah, I should have actually paid attention. I thought the DR was different. I'll pass the devil.

Mystic Theurge is fine.

Tomb Tainted Soul: Approved. You can switch Weapon Finesse for that.

One year ago, the gnolls of [insert name of forest we start in here] were conquered by [insert name of our old boss here] and have been used as shock troopers and foot soldiers by their diabolical new master, who had struck dark bargins with the Great Illithid Empire of [insert name here], the Archdevil Asmodeus and a Demon Prince of the 113th level of the Abyss. For keeping up his(or her) end of their dark bargins, the illithids sent a powerful psionic artifact from their underground empire, guarded by Va Kinspar, the inscruitable illithid monk, the mighty knight of the race of chokers, Sesthorono, and Oolooth, a diplomat from the festering pits of pupeteers. From Baator, the chain-wielding anti-paladin Cenotaph was belched forth wreathed in infernal smoke. From a gap within the air itself, a gap that opened upon a fiery layer of the Abyss, a demonic Quasit flew forth in the form of a bat as a tiefling marauder slithered forth through the shadows. Using these psionic artifact and the tainted blood of devil and demon alike, [insert name of our old boss  here] planned to raise a world-conquering army of psionic, fiend-blooded, mutant super-gnolls and overthrow the kingdoms of men! Only the noble sacrifice and righteous power of [insert names of our antagonists here] was [insert name of our old boss here] defeated and his(or her) plans for world domination foiled!

...but now, in the darkness of that dark overlord's former lair, the forces of darkness stir once more as Hreeka the Striped mades a bid for power over the last vestiges of the defeated psionic mutant gnollfiend army, backed by the envoys sent by the dark powers that [insert name of our old boss here] bargined with long ago and new and terrible forces of evil! Only time shall tell if the powers of darkness shall triumph once more, or if the forces of goodness, justice and the [insert name of forest we start in here] way will triumpth over evil!

That was a work of art. Are we a group of supervillains trying to take over the world, though? And seriously, Hreeka being the leader? Shouldn't THE GREAT AND MIGHTY EGO, with his massive ego, be the leader of the group? [/clichedvillian]

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »

From a gap within the air itself, a gap that opened upon a fiery layer of the Abyss, a demonic Quasit flew forth in the form of a bat as a tiefling marauder slithered forth through the shadows.

Just being completely clear, that Quasit isn't me, right?  I switched to an imp, which is technically a devil, not a demon.

Mystic Theurge is fine.

Tomb Tainted Soul: Approved. You can switch Weapon Finesse for that.
Much appreciated

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »

I'm pleased to see that at least some people like turtles.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:13 pm »

Sorry to bother you again, but I was reading through the Libris Mortis, and was also wondering if I could switch to one of the new domains listed in there.  I'd be trading in the death domain for the deathbound domain.  Here's the stats:
Spoiler: Deathbound Domain (click to show/hide)

Here are the spells the domain grants that are not in the core books (all are in Libris Mortis and are quoted exactly):
Spoiler: spells (click to show/hide)

One last thing, I was wondering if you could approve the True Necromancer prestige class (again from LM, though the book only allows Spell Focus(Necromancy) as it's feat requirement)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:29:58 pm by Frelock »

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2011, 07:54:32 pm »

@Grek: A great work that i approve of except for the detail that we have a formal leader.

In my experience a leader will emerge on his own during play an giving players power over each other just ends with plotting, backstabbing, fracturing of the group, lots of drama and finally the death of the campaign. I would prefer a Council of EvilTM and whoever is the most competent to lead the group during a given situation just does so.

A quick alignment count:
1x chaotic evil (2|2) - Hreeka
1x true neutral (1|1) - Ego
2x neutral evil (1|2) - Ooooloth, Jugulator
2x lawful neutral (0|1) - Sesthorno, Va
3x lawful evil (0|2) - Di'rac, Frelocks Imp

On average we are at orderly neutral and rather evil. (0,56|1,67)
Guess our best shot at a common motivation is the establishing of an evil empire to give us the power necessary to indulge in our specific urges whenever we please.

@Araph: Thanks for your approval. I look forward to use up my parchment. Got quite some ideas there...
On a different note. I will PM you the backstory for my character, based on what Grek wrote, soon.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2011, 08:01:53 pm »

Hreeka isn't really a leader-type, so he would be fine with being the general when we finally do gain ridiculous amounts of power. He gets to kill some people, and have some free time in the forest, and that's all that matters.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2011, 09:02:11 pm »

@Frelock: Your character sheet says you're a Quasit Cleric, so I went with that. Fixed in second draft. Also, for the record, it is difficult to make an imp named Meep sound metal.

@Braindead: I went with having Hreeka as leader since he's the only gnoll in the group, but that's an easy detail to revise.

SECOND DRAFT OF PLOT:

One year ago, the gnolls of [insert name of forest we start in here] were conquered by [insert name of our old boss here] and have been used as shock troopers and foot soldiers by their diabolical new master, who had struck dark bargins with both the Great Illithid Empire of [insert name here] and the infernal forces of the Archdevil Asmodeus. For keeping up his(or her) end of their dark bargins, the illithids sent a powerful psionic artifact from their underground empire, guarded by Va Kinspar, the inscruitable illithid monk; the mighty knight of the race of chokers, Sesthorono; and Oolooth, a diplomat from the festering pits of pupeteers. From a gap within the air itself, a gap that opened upon the blackest pits of the Ninth Circle of Baator, the chain-wielding anti-paladin Cenotaph; the Imp cleric Meep; and the maniacal tiefling marauder, Ego Magicae were belched forth wreathed in infernal smoke and unnatural shadows. Using the tainted blood of fiends and the psionic artifacts of the underworld, [insert name of our old boss  here] planned to raise a world-conquering army of fiendish gnolls under his(or her) unbreakable psionic dominion and overthrow the kingdoms of men! Only the noble sacrifice and righteous power of [insert names of our antagonists here] was [insert name of our old boss here] defeated and his(or her) plans for world domination foiled!

...but now, in the darkness of that dark overlord's former lair, the forces of darkness stir once more as a shadowy council, born from the most ambitious of remenants of [insert name of our old boss here] armies and advisors gathers to vie once more to seize the crown of empire by force of arms and mystical might. Only time shall tell if the powers of darkness shall triumph once more, or if the forces of goodness, justice and the [insert name of forest we start in here] way will triumpth over evil!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:05:50 pm by Grek »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »

Looks pretty great. As for my role in the group, I'm a knight and a grappler. These both lead me to kick face at single combat but fail pretty hard at combating multiple enemies. (Unless I'm holding a narrow bridge or path where flanking me is impossible.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2011, 11:47:46 pm »

Is there any chance I could get in on this?  I have both the programs and since I've moved, I've been suffering from D&D withdrawals and I'm antsy to play.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2011, 12:40:46 am »

I don't see why not, assuming you have a character.

Here's the statblock for a gnollfiend, a gnoll with the half-fiend template applied. They're pretty decent footsoliders in a world-conquering army of darkness, I think:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:42:28 am by Grek »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2011, 12:50:27 am »

Hmm.. alright, one question though would you consider Kenku's kill on sight?  MM3 says they tend to be neutral leaning towards evil but they can be goodish.

edit- Also are we allowed to change what the dice rolls are to or do we keep them in order?

edit edit- If there is still room for me this is my character sheet, If I forgot anything please tell me. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=302161
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:08:57 am by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38