Attack a weak caravan
- 5 (45.5%)
Loiter at our tower
- 1 (9.1%)
Other (specify in post
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign  (Read 48371 times)

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2011, 09:58:32 am »

Since my advancement is still undecided and my character unapproved i tried to make a Harvester Devil that will advance as a Warlock.

Harvester Devil
Abilities: -2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
Senses: see in darkness, +6 to listen and spot checks
Immune to fire and poison
Skill bonuses: +2 Diplomacy, +1 Bluff, +1 Intimidate, +1 Disguise, +1 Hide
Spell-Like Abilities: disguise self at will, greater teleport once per level per day (self and 50 pounds equipment only)
Alignment Mask: bluff against sense motive check to hide alignment

I thought it would be better to replace some class-features of the warlock with other powers of the devil instead of simply axing them. Here are the changes to the class.

Class skills: profession and craft removed, diplomacy added
Damage Reduction: changed to x/good or magic, improvement as normal
Fiendish Resilence: removed, replaced with hellfire blast
Hellfire Blast: can add 2d6 hellfire damage to any eldritch blast attack at level 8, 4d6 at level 13 and 6d6 at level 18, can use this ability once a day per 5 levels without losing Constitution, every additional use damages it normally
Energy Resistance: automatically gains resistance 1 against poison and cold at level two, improves by one every two levels (nearly identical to the normal feature but progress more gradual
Imbue Item: removed, replaced by Refuge of the Damned at level 12
Refuge of the Damned: A non-outsider cant attack a Harvester Devil unless the devil attacks him first. To overcome this he can make a will save with a DC of the devils Charisma. If he succeeds he can attack the devil normally but suffers -2 to all saves for 1 minute. Outsiders are unaffected by this ability and it ceases to function for 1 minute if he devil attacks any opponent.

Thoughts?

@choobakka: 50 gold i think

@Grek: I just glanced over the page and then posted it. Guess the class is designed for powerful villains or by a munchkin.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:24:04 pm by Lord Braindead »

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:01 am »

That refuge of the damned thing looks a wee bit hardcore. I like the whole enforcing non aggression thing.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2011, 12:14:25 pm »

A question: how much cash shouldwe start out with?
i thought we had 50?
anyways i did my skills spent 12 skillpoints and did my gear with 50 gold

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2011, 01:03:03 pm »

I think it's creative, but not very balanced. I seriously doubt we'll run into many outsider adventurers.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2011, 01:06:42 pm »

Yeah... At least not until the holy paladin orders send some angels to destroy our Legion of Doom!

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2011, 01:47:34 pm »

It's not like I become an invincible turret that can throw spells while no one can attack me. I see mainly three uses for this ability:

1. going on diplomatic missions without being easy prey
2. playing bait, especially with disguise-self
3. gloating about my evil plan in front of the heroes while the rest of the party runs for the doom lever

Besides, I get this not until level 12 and by that point most heroes already have considerable bonuses to their will saves.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2011, 03:03:12 pm »

Do you happen to have access to Savage Species? This kind of thing is exactly what the book's for. It's a 3.0 book, but it wouldn't be too hard to convert the critical bits. Monster class levels, in particular, are something you're going to need.

The AD&D 2E "Reverse Dungeon" adventure module might also be helpful.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

Hreeka: Approved!

Grek: What's this about a necromancer? I seem to have missed that. Checking back through the posts... And farther... Farther... How far back is that? I didn't see it in the past five pages. And thanks for making a puppet character sheet. How exactly do you mind control stuff? Are you psychic in a mind control-esque way?

We start with 50 gold each.

Harvester Devil: Yeaaaa-no. DR and Hellfire are too much. I guess Refuge of the Damned is ok, since you're a devil and are most likely going to kill everything anyway.

Paladins on a crusade, now there's an idea! (hint, hint)

1. going on diplomatic missions without being easy prey
2. playing bait, especially with disguise-self
3. gloating about my evil plan in front of the heroes while the rest of the party runs for the doom lever

Dang it, you're stealing my ideas! I almost gave my character a goatee JUST to look evil(er) while I was gloating! A GOATEE!

And, unfortunately, I have neither of those books.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »

In this post, choobakka briefly considered playing a necromancer of some sort. Braindead linked to a custom necromancer class (which I thought was OP), but then choobakka decided against playing a necromancer and the issue was dropped as irrelevent.

I have a psionic* version of charm person 3/day as a SLA. I use this to make people friendly towards me and agree to let me ride on their shoulder. Once they do that, I use my "tendrils" to attach myself to their head and start controlling their brain. This picture explains it better than I can. I'm also telepathic, but that doesn't give me any special mind control powers beyond the ability to talk to people without revealing myself to be a horrific worm monster.

*It's psionic according to the base rules, but changing it to an arcane SLA would not meaningfully effect my character concept either way. Likewise with subbing out detect psionics with detect magic and the mental barrier psionic power with something like mage hand or just dropping it entirely.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »

Um.. In the OP: I'm Hreeka. You put Hastur as Hreeka. ::)

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2011, 07:41:10 pm »

Harvester Devil: Yeaaaa-no. DR and Hellfire are too much. I guess Refuge of the Damned is ok, since you're a devil and are most likely going to kill everything anyway.

Well, the normal class feature for the warlock is DR x/cold iron (with x being: 1 at lvl3, 2 at lvl7, 3 at lvl11, 4 t lvl15 and 5 at lvl19) an I think being vulnerable to both good and magic attacks is actually weaker. Finding a good Cleric that can cast "align weapon" or some kind of spellcaster should be a lot easier then hoping for a hero that payed twice as much for his weapon for the off chance that he meets a enemy that is vulnerable to it.

Hellfire was worth a try. I mainly thought that it would be a nice touch but then i will stick to the normal Fiendish Resilience.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »

Um.. In the OP: I'm Hreeka. You put Hastur as Hreeka. ::)

Oh, crap. Fixing that now.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »

Di'rac 1.8
Since the disputed point of the DR is not yet relevant the sheet should stay the same.

Edit: The Harvester starts with 4 languages so i wasn't sure if two of them are already bonus languages for me or if i get 3 additional ones on top of them. I will remove elvish and dwarven if you think 7 is to much.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:59:55 pm by Lord Braindead »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »

Actually, a quick question for our DM that I forgot to ask earlier.  Is the Mystic Thurge an acceptable prestige class?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2011, 09:59:39 pm »

I figure that I should link to the Paladin of Tyranny's class page if someone is going to play one:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Paladin_of_Tyranny_Class_Features
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38