Attack a weak caravan
- 5 (45.5%)
Loiter at our tower
- 1 (9.1%)
Other (specify in post
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Author Topic: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign  (Read 48347 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reversed Roles: A D&D 3.5 Campaign
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2011, 01:05:44 am »

I just want to say, NA is... Really really powerful. Even one put most races into at least +1.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50:51 am »

For my character sheet, do I put up stats for the puppeteer, or the person that it's currently controlling? Likewise, which one do I roll the stats for? Do I start out with a host body?

Here's the puppeteer racial stats anyways:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E: I vote that we don't start near a major city. More adventurers means more chances for us to get killed. Let's start out in a hamlet next to that forest southeast of the city that Aarph suggested. There will be places to hide, animals to eat and commoners to oppress.

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining what a gnoll, a choker, a brain worm, a demon and a tiefling are doing together in the same cave on friendly terms?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:20:52 am by Grek »

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2011, 07:03:13 am »

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining what a gnoll, a choker, a brain worm, a demon and a tiefling are doing together in the same cave on friendly terms?
Shenanigans.

Or maybe they were all servants of a BBEG that gotnslain recently.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2011, 07:22:37 am »

@ Braindead
Playing a demon might work, but at what point would you upgrade demonicosity? Also there's the problem about Lemures being as stupid as they are. Dread Necromancer might work better, though I don't have access to the book you mentioned.

Well, the mechanical reason for the Lemures IQ of half an Urist is the Mindless trait which gives a ton of immunities. I think it would be balanced if i play a "smart" Lemure that, as a result, lacks the immunities to mind altering effects.
For stats i thought +1 Wisdom, -5 Charisma, -5 Intelligence and due to dropping Mindless just Infernal and Common as languages. Still dumb as a rock but playable.

Advancement:
Code: [Select]
CR     Type          PC Classlevels     XP
1     Lemure               0             0
2     Lemure               1          1000
3     Lemure               2          2000
4     Spined Devil         0          4000
5     Bearded Devil        0          8000
6     Imp                  0         16000
...   ...                 ...          ...

The Dread Necromancer is a lot less complicated. He gains some additional spells, damage reduction and special attacks but otherwise he is your average wizard with a knack for necromancy excepts that he turn into a Lich at lvl 20 without the usual costs of doing so. I can PM you the details if you want.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:25:57 am by Lord Braindead »

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2011, 07:36:11 am »

Hreeka the Striped. Still not completely finished. Also, I would say near a hamlet in the forest southwest of the northeasternmost town.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:38:26 am by choobakka »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2011, 08:02:02 am »

I just want to say, NA is... Really really powerful. Even one put most races into at least +1.
Well, most of those have other abilities. Here are examples of other LA +0 races with NA.

Underfolk get +1.
Shifters get +2 in one form.
Saurian Shifters get +2 in one form.
Norkers get +5.
Kobolds get +1.
Aquatic Kobolds get +1.
Arctic Kobolds get +1.
Desert Kobolds get +1.
Earth Kobolds get +1.
Jungle Kobolds get +1.
Asherati get +1.
Tortles get +1.
Exiled Modron get +2.

Also, NA isn't all that good. I could optimize beyond anything that NA could grant me with very little effort.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2011, 09:50:35 am »

Yeah, most races have more abilities, like a Choker. 'Bolds tend to be sorta weak, other then the NA, shifters happen to not spend a bunch of time shifted (and they are not that great else wise), and I am unaware of the other races. The fact is, yeah you can optimize past it, but you can do that with anything, especially your choker. The question is not can I make a build that trivializes this, but rather can I make a build that trivializes this even better with it.

The fact is, most player races have a some moderate abilities or few moderate abilities and a good ability. You have a full five good abilities, with very very little bad things to cancel it out.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2011, 11:35:23 am »

Why is NA so powerful? It seems like it'd start off being valuable, but lose worth as time goes on.

The choker is too overpowered. It'll work if you get rid of the Improved Initiative feat, Improved Grab, and Quickness.

Braindead, playing as a demon will be ok. I'll need to decide the order of your evolutions; I'll post that by later today when I get home.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2011, 11:59:48 am »

NA bonuses are good because can not be negated, work while flatfooted, are easy to stack, open up some obscure Pcs, allow some generally monster only feats, ect. They also have no hard limit like dex bonus.

I would say that one point of NA is worth abooooout the extra feat humans get.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 12:13:28 pm »

Ooh ooh! I know. We're all Republican. *Rimshot*

edit: so you can stack natural armor with barkskin and stoneskin?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:32:31 pm by Hastur »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »

You were all servants of a noteworthy Devil Psionic who made your dungeon his base of operations... until he was killed by a group of temple-sponsored hunters. But with news of the devil's death it seems more adventurers continue to arrive so that they can scavenge the ruins of his lair. Now you and the other survivors must band together just to survive.

Some Dungeon Features:

1. Divided amongst surviving factions of the devil's former minions. Getting them to work together may be a quest in itself. Some may have to be killed.
2. Hidden stashes of magic items that can greatly aid against the adventurers. First they must be found and their security removed to access their treasures.
3. A slightly more powerful creature than the group's average level that normally won't join without the help of the brain worm.

Dungeon's Primary Enemies:
1. The weaker adventurers tend to be scavengers coming from a local village. While destroying the village might work, it might just piss off a kingdom and get even more powerful adventurers sent your way. It may be easier for an infiltrator to spread the rumor that there's nothing left at the devil's lair. It is at least plausible given how many scavengers have hit the place recently. Other means of stopping the incursion could be gaining control of the village leader and causing him or her to enact laws against the often troublesome visitors and make them go away.

2. The temple that send the hunters after your master. While they aren't too concerned about surviving minions, they will begin to take notice if too many scavengers fail to return from the dungeon, or the town leader starts acting strangely, or if the players do anything else that might attract their attention.

Dungeon's Most Common Minion:

Gnolls. While not very numerous, there are enough of them to threaten most adventuring parties. Unfortunately for the players, gnolls aren't very good at taking orders (especially with regards to manual labor needed to dig pits and such) and must be controlled by either a very influential character, or subjugated via magic or tyranny.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2011, 01:56:17 pm »

edit: so you can stack natural armor with barkskin and stoneskin?

Um. Yes to both.

Stoneskin does not even have anything to do with NA.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2011, 03:12:04 pm »

1 point of natural armour is not worth a feat. For a feat, you can get:
-A +2 untyped bonus to one save of your choice, a 2500gp value.
-Leadership.
-An armour proficency, for much more AC.
-The ability to cast spells while wildshaped into a Remorhaz.
-A +4 bonus to the STR and CON of all of your summons.
-A metamagic feat.
-A +1d6 sneak attack die.
-5 more skill points.
-DR 3/bludgeoning
-Alter Self as an SLA
-+4 to initative.

Ultimately, +1 NA is an ability that reduces the damage you take from nonmagical and blaster-wizard attacks by 5%. Even taking a really shitty feat, like toughness for +3 hit points means that your enemy has to do 60+ damage on an attack before a 5% higher chance to block it is worth having 3 more hit points to soak it with. It's worth something, about equal to a +2 to a stat, but its not worth a feat.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »

You can also get a plus two too two skills.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2011, 05:02:51 pm »

Hreeka the Striped. Still not completely finished. Also, I would say near a hamlet in the forest southwest of the northeasternmost town.
And he's done!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:23:18 pm by choobakka »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38