Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Second fortress  (Read 7450 times)

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Second fortress
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2011, 01:35:38 pm »

Thank you.

I've, uh, just discovered that adamantine shafts are easily stumbled onto, and apparently they have a empty tile each z-level running quite deep...

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:28 pm »

I would seal that off if I were you. Unless you wanted to have lots of Fun. Just mine your adamantine carefully.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2011, 07:38:23 pm »

Ugh. My FPS is suffering. SUFFERING.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »

Ugh. My FPS is suffering. SUFFERING.

I suggest sealing it offer, unless you like clowns.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »

Clowns like this!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:27 pm »

So, I've had a miner lying in traction resting for about as long as I can remember there being a hospital. Probably from the days when I was channeling out an underground farm.

Can I uh, wake him up? I could use another miner.

Oh, wait. He might have lost his ability to walk....

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2011, 10:33:00 pm »

look in the health screen for his status

Make sure you have dwarves that can perform each type of medical care, and that they are not absurdly busy.

If the dwarf is in decent shape, deconstruct the traction bench and he'll fall out.  If he still needs medical help he'll get helped again.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:17:57 pm by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:43 pm »

1 FPS issue is due to clowns. You may want to abandon and start a new Fortress or savescum.

2 Yes the Ettin will rip appart invaders, he should permanantly inhabit your arena.  Just make sure you have a way to release others into it safely.

3 Lack of walking or a lower spine is no reason to stay in bed for the rest of your life... he should crawl around until someone puts him back in bed after you deconstruct the traction bench. Willpower will determine how well he does, I've had several miners continue working with practically all of their bones broken from cave ins.

4 Next time you make a back enterance, build it so it goes a Z level below where you want it to connect, and use a Hatch on the interior side to keep building destroyers out.

5 Nobles can be sacrificed to your ettin when they become a pain.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »

Deconstructing was the way to go. I thought he was in a coma, the lazy bum....

I've already built an airlocked arena for the specific scenario of releasing dangerous things upon dangerous things. I even remembered to line it with fortifications and cage traps to ensure I can clean it out safely later (either with haulers, or crowssbows...)

I've noticed something and finally confirmed it. I thought I was crazy at first. For some reason, dwarves keep bringing a designated animal to a rope (guarding a door for thief detection) and then later taking the animal away. The same dog and rabbit have been tied to and then taken away from these rope stations over a dozen times. No, I'm not changing their pasture designations.

Ideas?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:11 pm »

Deconstructing was the way to go. I thought he was in a coma, the lazy bum....

I've already built an airlocked arena for the specific scenario of releasing dangerous things upon dangerous things. I even remembered to line it with fortifications and cage traps to ensure I can clean it out safely later (either with haulers, or crowssbows...)

I've noticed something and finally confirmed it. I thought I was crazy at first. For some reason, dwarves keep bringing a designated animal to a rope (guarding a door for thief detection) and then later taking the animal away. The same dog and rabbit have been tied to and then taken away from these rope stations over a dozen times. No, I'm not changing their pasture designations.

Ideas?

The animal is assigned to a pasture, and to the chain, most likely.

Assigning to either a pasture or a chain does not remove the other assignment, so your dwarves will haul the animals back and forth till you remove them from one or the other.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2011, 10:45:27 pm »

I will investigate this immediately, thank you.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:02 am »

Well, I believe those Devil Crows have shown me what people mean by "dust" creatures and how fearsome they can be.

Time to strike the earth! (again)

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »

Easiest way to mess with elves: Wall in the trading post. Eventually they go completely bonkers and tear themselves, and their beasts to shreds. That will ll teachem
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]