Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Second fortress  (Read 7457 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Second fortress
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2011, 01:25:26 am »

If you use DFTherapist, find one of your idlers, & disable all jobs but stone hauling, he should get to it eventually (hauling is fairly low priority).

Alternately build a workshop down there & turn it all into stuff (blocks if you're going to use it for constructions, pots for food & beverage storage, crafts for trade, etcetera).

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2011, 03:05:08 am »

Bit busy today, will see if I can come back later to answer some questions... sorry.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2011, 08:11:58 am »

If you use DFTherapist, find one of your idlers, & disable all jobs but stone hauling, he should get to it eventually (hauling is fairly low priority).

Alternately build a workshop down there & turn it all into stuff (blocks if you're going to use it for constructions, pots for food & beverage storage, crafts for trade, etcetera).

Well, I have well over 100 dwarves by now. I want them moved up to where I have created some workshops to make specific kinds of doors, etc. I have so many idlers it's part busy work, party cleaning/efficiency.

I'll double check to make sure my small team of haulers is still set up correctly.

Noir, when you can. I understand how RL gets in the way of forums.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:33 am »

Alright, I'm really stumped by my stockpile issue.

I have a swath of granite 10 or 15 z levels down. I want to start cranking out doors and chairs, etc that are NOT made from mica or other stones that I consider more useful.

So I create a big stockpile right next to 4 shops with the explicit purpose of drawing in "generic" stone so that I can churn out the furniture I need.

No one is moving it, however. I have plenty of idle dwarves. I've created the stockpile twice. I don't get it.

Also, I thought someone mentioned that you could use released prisoners to explore. So I released a goblin thief into the caverns (after ensuring he had no way back inside) and he wandered off my map but didn't reveal anything new... Was I misinformed/did I misread?

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:42 pm »

No word on the goblin explorers or storage issues, eh?

Well, I've got my first "lord," a Mace Lord. His armor looks different, not sure why....

Is it just me, though, or are hammer and maces kind of near useless? Seems to take a lot more hits to bring something down.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:10 pm »

Hammers and maces are good for incapacitating enemies early, especially through armor.  They don't pierce organs like spears or shear off body parts like axes, but they can do devastating internal damage through multiple surface layers.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:03 pm »

Alright, I'm really stumped by my stockpile issue.

I have a swath of granite 10 or 15 z levels down. I want to start cranking out doors and chairs, etc that are NOT made from mica or other stones that I consider more useful.

So I create a big stockpile right next to 4 shops with the explicit purpose of drawing in "generic" stone so that I can churn out the furniture I need.

No one is moving it, however. I have plenty of idle dwarves. I've created the stockpile twice. I don't get it.

Also, I thought someone mentioned that you could use released prisoners to explore. So I released a goblin thief into the caverns (after ensuring he had no way back inside) and he wandered off my map but didn't reveal anything new... Was I misinformed/did I misread?

Have you verified access to the stone by building a workshop next to it?  The stockpile as well?  Have you verified the stone is not forbidden or set to dump with no garbage pile zone set up?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2011, 11:22:44 am »

Have you verified access to the stone by building a workshop next to it?  The stockpile as well?  Have you verified the stone is not forbidden or set to dump with no garbage pile zone set up?

I just designated a stone stockpile next to the stone I want moved to double triple check it is neither forbidden nor marked for dumping. It's not. I have garbage zones designated on that floor, AND the dwarves immediately began moving the stone into the stockpile.

Is there a range limit on hauling? I want them to carry this stuff UP to my furniture production area.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2011, 12:53:42 pm »

Did you put the stockpile on tiles with waste rock lying there already?  the floor needs to be clear for stockpiles.  Otherwise double check the stockpile settings with q-s to check its configured right.

Your goblins can explore caverns.  But if the cavern is fairly explored they may well not pass unseen areas on their way to the mapedge (remember cavern mapedges are spawn/despawn just like surface edges.  only difference is you can build all the way to the edge)  Probably more successful with a cat or something
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2011, 02:35:34 pm »

The downside with using cats for cavern explorers is they will go out of their way to kill every silk-producing spider in the cavern (Giant Cave Spiders excepted). If you want that free silk later, toss a puppy down instead.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2011, 09:41:36 pm »

Thanks. I just deleted the stockpiles and tried again and it worked this time. No idea why.

I watched the goblin explore, and he disappeared in the middle of the map.

Anyone have an explanation as to WHY two of my military dwarves decided it'd be a good idea to go OUTSIDE to train when I have the whole fort on alert because there's a siege sitting outside my front door?

Waste of a Macelord, which, hey, is a stupid kind of lord in the first place but still.... down to two marksdwarves. Time to start training some nonhunters I guess.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2011, 09:15:57 am »

My first two sieges went well, especially the second. No casualties in that one, IN SPITE of some stupidity in choice of pathing for my dwarves.

However, I know have a collection of trolls. I'm not quite certain what to do with them. I have an arena already set up for potential building destroyers (drawbridges that theoretically can't be reached to keep them in, etc), but the only other things I have are goblins and an ettin. If I release them together, will they fight?

Perhaps they can just be some target practice for my marksdwarves....

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2011, 02:12:50 pm »

Well, I'm dealing with my first tantruming noble. Apparently the count is REALLY upset that the mayor has such a nice office....

I'm terribly excited about this next siege. The goblins brought their law giver. He's unarmed. I so hope I can capture him.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »

Note to self: save more often, especially when the computer has been wanting to autoreboot....

Question:

Why does the human diplomat keep showing up, saying how nice my fort looks, and thanks me for my time and leaving without actually doing anything?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2011, 12:45:58 pm »

Note to self: save more often, especially when the computer has been wanting to autoreboot....

Question:

Why does the human diplomat keep showing up, saying how nice my fort looks, and thanks me for my time and leaving without actually doing anything?

Because diplomacy part's incomplete. You can kill him to cause wars, and someone else'll show up to ask for peace after a while.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8