Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Second fortress  (Read 7471 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Second fortress
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 10:12:58 am »

Slaughtering and butchering (when you mark a living creature for slaughter) is instant, however butchering a dead corpse isn't and the speed of the butchering is inversely proportional to the creature's size. If it is too big, it's sure gonna clutter your workshop and if your butcher isn't skilled enough, it's going to take forever

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 10:43:09 am »

Massive corpses take forever to butcher.  Anything bigger than a camel will start to clutter the workshop pretty bad with titans and FBs being stupidly heavy

Also your moody dwarf cant find his workshop.  Build one of everything ASAP.  For extra safety magma and non-magma versions of appropriate workshops. (certain things it cant be.  you need craft, mason, forge, leather, carpenter, bowyer, glass, gem, mechanic, clothiers shop)  Its weird but pottery doesnt seem to be moodable.  In your case look at his highest crafty type skill and build the appropriate shop.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:45:39 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17:50 am »

Curses. He's a glassmaker. I had really hoped not having a glass kiln would prevent this sort of thing. I think I bought some sand, now I need to get someone to build that kiln....

Thanks. Let you know how this turns out.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 11:33:32 am »

Just build a normal glass furnace.

Oh and that moody glassmaker will need raw green glass for his artifact. If you have sand, you will need to make some raw green glass first.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 11:54:05 am »

This means you'll need two furnaces, one for the mood, the other for the raw glass.  Glass is the worst mood -.-

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »

This means you'll need two furnaces, one for the mood, the other for the raw glass.  Glass is the worst mood -.-

....are you serious? He won't even MAKE HIS OWN GLASS, even having taken over the only means of making glass??? No wonder the last mood failed....

I think I may have just found my first berserker pit fighter....

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 02:11:16 pm »

I tend to find shells and yarn cloth demands much more annoying.

Plus, the dwarven caravan nearly always brings really cheap raw green glass. I always buy some for any possible moody glassmaker.

Plus a legendary glassmaker is a boon if you have sand on your map. Spam masterwork large serrated green glass discs, sell them to the caravan or use them as deadly traps.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 11:48:52 pm »

Whew. So much excitement.

I managed to avert a failed mood with that glassmaker, and he made a not half bad hatch for my trouble.

New wave of migrants (10th wave, group of 19, total of 101 dwarves.

Hit the first level of caverns, hatched off that stairway and kept going down. Hit another level, walled it off and kept going down.

For the first time, I finally found magma. Terribly exciting. I'm rather looking forward to this, caverns and magma are two untapped aspects of the game for me.

For now, my next projects will be:
Refining the training and armament of my military.
Establishing magma forges, etc.
Creating a drop chute whereby I can mass dump all my ores quickly to the magma forge area.
Building more coffins.
Evaluating my food production system.
Finishing my first tentative deathtrap room.

Oh, I also found admantium. That's bad, isn't it? It's going to draw a ton of dwarves I'm not ready for, right?

As an aside, I wish I had sand on this map. Basically infinite resources from a single tile? What's not to love?

Edit: Oh, and I REALLY think I need to build a well. I've got a nice river running through my map, on the surface. Any suggestions for how I can easily get that flowing through my base without flooding it or serving as a highway for critters to cause havoc?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:50:44 pm by Manic Typist »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:18 am »

There's a much safer, faster source of water than the river if your caverns aren't dry. Are your caverns dry? What you need is water that extends to the map edge, or at least a large volume of it that won't run out soon.

Also, the revealed tiles seem to count as part of your fort wealth, and the adamantine will add some to that. however, once I breach cavern 1 the open space usually leads to constant migrants until I hit pop cap anyway. Don't worry much about it, just be liberal with the army recruiting or mass dumping jobs.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 01:06:47 am »

This is my second time encountering caverns (my last fort, before I abandoned it) and I have not been able to spot any water in this one or the previous one. Perhaps if I check the edges of the map....

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:24 am »

No, admantium is a GOOD thing! Mine it ALL, QUICKLY!
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:53 am »

Nah it's cool, that just means channeling the river it is. The simplest way to do that is to dig a tunnel right up to (but not breaching) the wall of the river, underground. Install floodgates (make sure the installers are on the safe side and not towards the river) in the tunnel. Then you can link the floodgates to a lever, test the connection, and channel out the wall of the river from above. Now you can plan wherever you want a cistern, connect cistern to tunnel, lower floodgates, and you have an endless water source. Constructing fortifications will allow water and vermin to pass, but is supposed to filter out carp and things. May or may not work. Don't forget to depressurize before you let the cistern feed out somewhere, or watersports may ensue.

The cavern feed I mentioned is:

Code: [Select]
Step 1
Dig out room adjacent to surface of the water.
~W...
~W...
~W...

~=empty space, water's surface on Z-1
W = natural stone wall
. = floor

Step 2
Channel out the wall tile, and 1 tile of the room.
~W...
~HH..
~W...

H = channeled tile

Step 3
Construct a wall to plug the gap, build floor bars ( alt + b I think) over the feed in the floor.

~W...
~Cb..
~W...

C = Constructed wall
b = floor bars

A screw pump can now pull water up through the bars and feed an aqueduct into anything else you need on that level or lower. I've had 5 building destroyer beasts swimming around a grate like this for multiple years, they don't seem to be able to get in, as long as they're lower than the bars, and the channeling/built wall forces that. You can operate the pump manually whenever cistern needs refilling, just keep in mind that pumps cause pressure too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 11:16:53 pm »

Hm. Slight pathing issue.

Digging a backup cistern/drainage area (I think, at least. Assuming I do this right) for my future well system.

Dwarf has carved out several small rooms, channeling out one tile on each level to get to the next. He gets to the bottom. Accidentally gets trapped since up at the top someone installed a floodgate but the gate is closed until I can hook up the mechanisms. The mechanism are now hooked up, and I've opened the floodgate.

He won't come back up. He's a miner not accepting any jobs, yet I have a LOT designated for miners to do.

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, is there a quick and easy way of knowing which tile is the impassable tile so I can utilize that while creating magma forges?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:18:39 pm by Manic Typist »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 02:09:06 am »

I've had that happen as well, pathing my recalculate when he gets hungry. If not, try designating something right next to him and cancel it if he starts to move there.

The impassable tiles are shown in darker green on the placement box. There's only two configurations though, left and right center on metalsmith forges, top center on everything else.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:01 am »

I got him out by cutting some stairs to the next level. He pathed out. I tried your technique several times and it didn't work.

The only thing I can think of was that the open space next to the stop of the upward slope (on the next z level) discouraged him from taking the slope from the bottom to the middle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8