Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone weapons  (Read 962 times)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone weapons
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »

Yes, I know you can create stone or rock short swords.
But a stone/rock ax, or a stone war hammer? They wouldn't be extremely strong, they could be weaker than copper. But it would be useful for an army low on weapons, flux stones and iron.
What do you think?
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Stone weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »

Dwarven seal of approval for exceptional dwarfiness. Include rock arrows and bolts, and make them extremely heavy and bulky.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »

I dunno about rock bolts, but crossbows were historically made to fire stones and shot as well as pointy things. That would be a good option for target practice, small game hunting, and the early stages of a fortress.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:22:43 pm »

I've seen a lot of suggestions recently that aren't very needed atm.
It is possible to mod those things, and if you don't know how, then please go to the modding section of the forum.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »

I do like this idea for addition to vanilla, but other things need to be done first. I'd really like to see this after item wear goes into effect for things other than clothes. Stone weapons should be breaking all the time.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:48:33 am »

Easily moddable, but still a respectable idea. However, I feel like the stone mat has to be worked on. Obsidian swords should be pretty deadly, but currently it doesn't even have an edge.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:21 am »

This is something that should be in vanilla. Stone axes, stone mauls, all perfectly feasible. I've long since modded them in myself, but it would have been a great help when I was just starting the game out.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:40:27 am »

I dunno about rock bolts, but crossbows were historically made to fire stones and shot as well as pointy things. That would be a good option for target practice, small game hunting, and the early stages of a fortress.
A ballista isn't a crossbow.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:46 am »

Not a ballista or siege engine. Things like this that were designed to fire small rocks.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:58 pm »

most bullet crossbow date from sixteeth century, mosty made for hunting small game.
but there is no reason why it can be made bigger for war, or in DF time frame.

and a rock fireing  sirge crossbow can be done
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it s from Leonardo da Vinci Codex Atlanticus (1478 to 1519)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 12:49:29 pm »

most bullet crossbow date from sixteeth century, mosty made for hunting small game.
but there is no reason why it can be made bigger for war, or in DF time frame.

and a rock fireing  sirge crossbow can be done
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it s from Leonardo da Vinci Codex Atlanticus (1478 to 1519)

It wasn't until I saw the person in the picture that I realized the size of that thing.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:42:09 pm »

They used to use ballistas like that on boats pre gunpowder age.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:27 pm »

If you add this, it would be cool to add a modicum of technology, so that (with the new tombs thing) an ancient Hero would wield a stone sword, whereas a more recent one might wield bronze, then iron, then steal, etc. Or, an ancient night lich might have an pimped obsidian blade.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson